Echovald, why? Why do this?

I'd rather have mini dungeons that do not even have to be completed, than objectives for map completion hidden behind Meta's or event chains. (Verdant Brink, Dragon Stand before Skyscale) 

As for the look, it's a required taste. I love the gothic architecture style ruins and the massive forrest gives me a sense of age to it.

The maps are vertical indeed, but in my experience easier to complete than Tangled Depths.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Kaineng would be okay if it weren't full of dead ends and the person responsible for zip lines put some more thought into their placement(same problem exist in Echovald)

I figured that the dead-ends were a feature they decided to repeat, given Kaineng in GW1.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Maybe controversial opinion. But I don't get why anet is removing waypoints then putting in enormous amounts of effort to solve problems the removal of waypoints caused. Even including making your own single use Waypoint. Why not just give us more waypoints again?

I especially don’t get the waypoints in Dragon’s End. All but the northern wp seem to be perpetually contested. They might as well not be there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Maybe controversial opinion. But I don't get why anet is removing waypoints then putting in enormous amounts of effort to solve problems the removal of waypoints caused. Even including making your own single use Waypoint. Why not just give us more waypoints again?

Yes! They have gotten very stingy with waypoints. I guess they think we are all flying anyway?  (I am not, and probably will not).  Seitung is by far my favorite map of the expansion but the lack of waypoints is a bummer. Kainang needs way more waypoints (I skiff around Kainang more than any other method).  Echovold is small enough, I guess it has enough, but hard to tell because the navigation is so horrid.  Echovold is almost bad enough to be a HoT map - and I never play those. 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I feel like owning a skyscale makes a night and day difference in maps. I never had any issues because I can fly away and there's plenty of branches to recharge. Without one, I probably would be complaining too. I do miss waypoints though. Don't know why there's like only 2 in new maps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

There are six waypoints on this map.  How many do you need?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I disliked it at first but the more I played it the more I enjoyed the exploration and the hidden things that made it feel like a sense of discovery and being rewarded for finding that hidden cove. for 100%-ing  the map, yea I totally agree its a pain. But the actual map outside of it is really nice, and has my favorite meta from the expansion. I wish NKC had more hidden things like that outside from the vault.

i navigate echovald it using raptor almost, just follow the roads.

Can't compare with TD.

they just make new maps more "skycale ufriendly", they're plain on ground level with roads and paths, and in high level are near maze. the design is masterpiece.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Echovald is waaaaaaaayyyy much easier than Tangled Depth because you have mounts now.
Bear in mind, during HoT, mount is not even introduce yet!
Why do this? Why whine the moment you got a few obstacles? Why not just get helps from map chat?

Edited by yLoon.5289
  • Confused 1

Echovald is great. A dark forest with some ruins and secrets with the added benefit of being easy to navigate. It just takes a little bit of time to notice and learn your way around by just using roads. Exploring this kind of maps is something that certain type of players love doing and it is the same reason why some of us, probably a very tiny minority, also like tangled depths.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Imo Echovlad is a huge improvement over Tangled Depths, since Echovald actually does have an accurate minimap (something I wish for TD since forever) and Zip-Lines help to overcome the verticality for those without Skyscale, leading to easy almost instant ~97% map completion without issues.

15 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

what did it look like originally in GW1?

Mostly just a dark forest in a more simplified layout, but because the trees were petrified due to the fallout from the Jade Wind, it had a more haunted, eerie and gothic feel. Some of that gothic feel is there when you stand outside of GW2’s Arborstone which does have that awe inspiring atmosphere.

The artists did a bang up job on Arborstone which is why it is such a shame they wasted it as a fairly empty hub

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1