Trap notificaions

mitchellj.7580

Sorry for the (probably) noob question, but when running in WvW and dropping supply traps ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Supply_Removal_Trap ). I realize that you can only place one trap at a time and that if you leave the map or place a second trap it de-spawns the first. 

My question is how do people track when it's "Safe" to drop a trap, there doesn't appear to be a buff or notification that I can see when the trap is sprung (or to show that there is still a trap in existence).  When I've asked around it seems a lot of people end up dropping two traps - both a marker and a supply just to see the dots in the area so they know that the trap has triggered (although this seems to require you keep checking map).

20 minutes ago, mitchellj.7580 said:

Sorry for the (probably) noob question, but when running in WvW and dropping supply traps ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Supply_Removal_Trap ). I realize that you can only place one trap at a time and that if you leave the map or place a second trap it de-spawns the first. 

My question is how do people track when it's "Safe" to drop a trap, there doesn't appear to be a buff or notification that I can see when the trap is sprung (or to show that there is still a trap in existence).  When I've asked around it seems a lot of people end up dropping two traps - both a marker and a supply just to see the dots in the area so they know that the trap has triggered (although this seems to require you keep checking map).

trap is to help you a little , you can drop a trap at a location where you think enemy might hit, so you can be at another spot like flipping camps and other stuffs, or watching another objective, one person really can't do much with the trap because one person can only drop one, there's absolutely no on else who would do it if you ask for assistant.  so the answer to your question is don't bother dropping trap unless you are getting participation to scout. 

9 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Swapping builds will also de-spawn the trap, which I believe is a bug.

Not a bug. ANet introduced a "skill cleanup" quite a while ago, which removes ground placed effects on equipment- and trait-swaps. This affects stuff like traps, combo fields and such. I think it was to reduce lag (may be wrong tho) and is completely intentional. 

The only one you can "see" from afar is the target painter. But that relies on you seeing the red dot pop up and knowing that your trap was responsible. 

Supply traps are more useful in covering common approaches to key objectives and you have to pay more attention to whether or not a random roamer set yours off or not. It only really makes sense to set one of you are actively draining a group's supply.

2 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

Not a bug. ANet introduced a "skill cleanup" quite a while ago, which removes ground placed effects on equipment- and trait-swaps. This affects stuff like traps, combo fields and such. I think it was to reduce lag (may be wrong tho) and is completely intentional. 

Class utility/trait traps yes, but not "traps and tricks" which is a type of personal deployable "siege" if you will. They cost gold, badges AND cost supply to build. These should absolutely not despawn when swapping templates as they have no link or relation to a build or class utility skills.

They should also persist for a set time if you leave the map, at least 15-30mins so you can respond to call outs, scout and DCing is a thing. You should also be able to place at least 2 of each type so long as they are not within a very short range of another of your own traps of the same type.

This is 100% a bug, it was not this way before and was never mentioned in any of the notes, traps were not used often and it's something else anet forgot about, changed something else and broke it and now they just don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The supply & target painter traps are currently both bugged, as the traps get cleaned up on trait/equipment swap, but also on WPing after a death.  These are not supposed to be cleaned up, as they are not skills, they are deployables.  Here are the notes from the bottom of the supply trap page:

• Hits up to 20 targets within a range of 1200.
  • Disappears when the player that placed the trap leaves the map.
  • Each player can have one of each type of WvW trap deployed at a time; setting a second one replaces the first.
  • If used from stealth it will apply Revealed to you when you attempt to place it.

Here are the notes from the target painter trap:

• Applies Marked when triggered.
  • Each player can have one of each type of WvW trap deployed at a time; setting a second one replaces the first.

Nowhere in those lists does it say that it is "cleaned up" on trait/equipment swap.  Nor does it say that they are cleaned up on WPing after a death.  So, as others have mentioned 100% bugged.  It has been bugged since Oct/Nov 2020(?). 

Personally, I would love it if I had an indicator that showed I have one deployed somewhere on the map.  Or better yet, a notification when you go to place one down (kind of like the notification when claiming an objective).  At least you would know if you have one already out on the map.  If someone hits one of your traps with the second option, you would not know (unlike the first option I gave).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

Nowhere in those lists does it say that it is "cleaned up" on trait/equipment swap. 

none of the skills does mention it. In fact, the introduction of "skill cleanup" was only and exclusively mentioned in the patch notes when it was introduced. 
"skill cleanup" also does not only remove traps. It also removes the >>game-sided effec<< (NOT the visuals) of ANYTHING ground-placed.  This includes combo fields, ground-targeted skills, and ofc traps. For example: if you place the scrapper´s "Big Ol' Bomb" (Bomb-Kit toolbelt) and then switch your traits out, the animation of the Bomb does NOT disappear. However: The bomb won´t explode and rather despawn instead. Same goes for combo fields. They are still visually appearing on the gound, but you cannot utilize them for comboing with any finisher. It won´t result in the combo effect. 

You can find it in the Update Notes from the 2021-08-31 patch. 
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2021-08-31

Profession Skills

General

To improve the stability of the game, performing any of the following actions will "reset" your status, removing ongoing skill effects such as damaging area effects, traps, preparations, missiles, and many boons and profession-specific enhancements.

This process will clean up many possible broken states in which a skill effect could be present when it should not have been. Some of these states caused duplication of performance-intensive skills such as traps, which degraded server performance for everyone.

The actions that trigger this skill cleanup include the following:

Swapping your Build Template

Swapping your Equipment Template

Changing specialization

Changing traits

Changing items equipped in a weapon slot via the Hero panel

Respawning after being defeated

Side-Note: "Swapping your Build Template" is poorly worded here. Instead, it triggers on changing a trait, rather than template. ground-placed effects don´t get cleaned up, even if you swap your build-template, as long as you have the same traits equipped in both templates (skill choice does NOT matter)

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 2:20 AM, mitchellj.7580 said:

Make sure that,right before the supply trap,throw a stealth trap. And watch your map.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

Sadly, the topic dealing with despawning of the supply/target painter traps have previously been discussed here:

6 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

none of the skills does mention it. In fact, the introduction of "skill cleanup" was only and exclusively mentioned in the patch notes when it was introduced. 
"skill cleanup" also does not only remove traps. It also removes the >>game-sided effec<< (NOT the visuals) of ANYTHING ground-placed.  This includes combo fields, ground-targeted skills, and ofc traps. For example: if you place the scrapper´s "Big Ol' Bomb" (Bomb-Kit toolbelt) and then switch your traits out, the animation of the Bomb does NOT disappear. However: The bomb won´t explode and rather despawn instead. Same goes for combo fields. They are still visually appearing on the gound, but you cannot utilize them for comboing with any finisher. It won´t result in the combo effect. 

You can find it in the Update Notes from the 2021-08-31 patch. 
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2021-08-31

Side-Note: "Swapping your Build Template" is poorly worded here. Instead, it triggers on changing a trait, rather than template. ground-placed effects don´t get cleaned up, even if you swap your build-template, as long as you have the same traits equipped in both templates (skill choice does NOT matter)

Interesting Custodio.6134.

6 hours ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

Make sure that,right before the supply trap,throw a stealth trap. And watch your map.

While I agree, slight hiccup with this plan, if there are two entry points, you are kind of stuck with placing them on one side, and have to have a buddy (if one is nearby) place the second set.