What's your favorite profession from the new expansion?

Gerrick.7489

Only one of the new professions I've tried is willbender, and I can't seem to want to switch back to firebrand. It doesn't put up the numbers quite as well, not does it buff like a madman, but flying around fights laying down claw flames and cotton candy colored spin-to-wins is just so much fun. I feel like I have more survivability due to the added movement skills, on top of being able to pick out problems in mobs and adjust. Switching back to firebrand just feels so sluggish and limiting now (but easy, since both benefit from condition bonuses, so you can use FB gear on Willy for a minor loss in DPS)

Edited by adrunkmunkey.6059

1. Mechanist.  Cool looking, very effective, low maintenance. 
  2. Virtuoso.  Very underrated, does a lot of damage at range, and can be nigh immortal while using the condi builds.  
  3. Vindicator.  Equip the Stamina Sigil and become the Bunny Lord.  
  4. Catalyst.  The buffs fixed a lot of problems with this spec.  Does a lot of damage and has great group support baked in.  A bit frail, though.
  5. Willbender.  It's got its problems, but it can be really aggressive and do a lot of damage.  The condi version does more damage but is very frail.
  6. Harbinger.  There's nothing wrong with it, for it is quite strong.  However, it just doesn't have that punch and flash the other specs get.
  7. Specter.  For what I do in the game, Specter contributes very little.  It's underpowered alacrity support and a tankier thief, but unless you're running it for a healer specifically other thief specs do everything better.
  8. Bladesworn.  It's... hard to use.  It's not without merits, but it is really obtuse and frustrating at times how little the game cooperates with Dragon Trigger.  The gunblade is underpowered and only good for mobility.
  9. Untamed.  I don't play ranger.

These are strictly subjective metrics I'm using here.  I'm rating how fun they are for me and how well they work for what I do.  Your opinions may vary depending on content choices and skill level.

• Like 1

I like most of them.  My big 3 are bladesworn, esp as I grasped the tactical decisions you can make with dragon trigger; harbinger, with a very nice burst mechanic, and virtuoso.  I agree with the person above who said virtuoso is surprisingly strong; I've made many builds, and they all worked out well, even the stealth/condi build.

• Confused 1

In an unexpected twist, I really have had lots of fun with Catalyst. I did a playthrough with Mechanist first, which was fun, but once I'd finished the story I was kinda glad to bench him for a while, as it became a bit dull. Vindicator has also been incredibly fun to play with.

Harbinger and Bladesworn have been really fun. Spectre works, but I've not been feeling it quite as much as I thought I would. Willbender has been cool but does feel a bit weak to me. Try as I might, I just cannot find the sweet spot for Virtuoso. Probably the only one I've really struggled to have fun with.

Only one I've not tried yet, since beta, is Untamed (more because I'm still making some style/RP decisions than anything else).

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Kyniel.4706 said:

In an unexpected twist, I really have had lots of fun with Catalyst. I did a playthrough with Mechanist first, which was fun, but once I'd finished the story I was kinda glad to bench him for a while, as it became a bit dull. Vindicator has also been incredibly fun to play with.

Harbinger and Bladesworn have been really fun. Spectre works, but I've not been feeling it quite as much as I thought I would. Willbender has been cool but does feel a bit weak to me. Try as I might, I just cannot find the sweet spot for Virtuoso. Probably the only one I've really struggled to have fun with.

Only one I've not tried yet, since beta, is Untamed (more because I'm still making some style/RP decisions than anything else).

Similar here - on paper Catalyst seemed boring and uninspired but actually playing it is very fun. At first I was off-put by the hammer but eventually I’ve grown to have a blast with it, it does very high damage with relatively simple rotation ( that people call the most difficult in the game for some reason I don’t know why). Also, the combo field provides venues for many fun combinations in competitive which makes the class look quite versatile. It is underpowered in competitive but still fun is there.

And same for virtuoso, it is easy to play benchmark class but there not much more to it. In competitive  it’s quite one-dimensional as well, even more so than other Mesmer specs and core. I wished for some control focused or healer spec, not just removing clones and making shatters ranged.

Edited by Mik.3401

1 hour ago, Mik.3401 said:

it does very high damage with relatively simple rotation ( that people call the most difficult in the game for some reason I don’t know why)

It's down to the uptime on every buff / sphere / hammer 3. (Which they now have made easier) 

It's really difficult to do maximum damage with, however after all the changes you could likely reach 25k following basic rules realistically. 

But mirage has a 2 button rotation doing 35k DPS. So divvy that up however you want in the aspects of difficulty realistically. 

If you want to do 39k DPS in a live raid it's likely pretty hard to manage, given the juggling of effects. However if you are not minmaxong and just looking to be a average player within the 20-30k DPS bracket the changes defintly made it alot simpler now. 

But yes, if you don't optimally manage buffs and fields + rotation with orbs, you will be doing the same DPS as auto attack builds almost which is what most are proclaimed To. 

As a player who could get over 33k pretty quickly with hybrid and Condi weaver after alittle practice I've failed to get catalyst over 25k DPS I don't rly know what I'm doing wrong either. 

I think it's less forgiving then weaver, Weavers punishment for getting its rotation wrong was pretty small aslong as you had good uptime and were using weave self properly. Catalysts DPS plummets however. 

I find weaver easier to play but others may disagree. 

Edited by Daddy.8125

32 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

It's down to the uptime on every buff / sphere / hammer 3. (Which they now have made easier) 

It's really difficult to do maximum damage with, however after all the changes you could likely reach 25k following basic rules realistically. 

But mirage has a 2 button rotation doing 35k DPS. So divvy that up however you want in the aspects of difficulty realistically. 

If you want to do 39k DPS in a live raid it's likely pretty hard to manage, given the juggling of effects. However if you are not minmaxong and just looking to be a average player within the 20-30k DPS bracket the changes defintly made it alot simpler now. 

But yes, if you don't optimally manage buffs and fields + rotation with orbs, you will be doing the same DPS as auto attack builds almost which is what most are proclaimed To. 

As a player who could get over 33k pretty quickly with hybrid and Condi weaver after alittle practice I've failed to get catalyst over 25k DPS I don't rly know what I'm doing wrong either. 

I think it's less forgiving then weaver, Weavers punishment for getting its rotation wrong was pretty small aslong as you had good uptime and were using weave self properly. Catalysts DPS plummets however. 

I find weaver easier to play but others may disagree. 

From my experience hitting 35k+ is not really a challenge unless your finger slips and you click wrong attunement or forget to set the orbs and augments up. This surely messes up dps, but again mis clicking in weaver build leads to downward spiral domino effect as well as you need more effort to get out of the wrong attunement. It’s surely down  to muscle memory which people have already strongly developed for other elementalist builds. And with catalyst you literally just go on repeat : air-fire-water-earth and set up 3, combo field and augment and spam damaging skills in each one of them (ok aparat from combo field).

The 1-button builds like mirage are the reason why ele is where it is now unfortunately it is true. The attunement mechanic which was supposed to be the classes’ selling point in practice is it’s downfall a bit. Still I’m having much more fun with it atm.

Edited by Mik.3401

32 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

From my experience hitting 35k+ is not really a challenge unless your finger slips and you click wrong attunement or forget to set the orbs and augments up. This surely messes up dps, but again mis clicking in weaver build leads to downward spiral domino effect as well as you need more effort to get out of the wrong attunement. It’s surely down  to muscle memory which people have already strongly developed for other elementalist builds. And with catalyst you literally just go on repeat : air-fire-water-earth and set up 3, combo field and augment and spam damaging skills in each one of them (ok aparat from combo field).

The 1-button builds like mirage are the reason why ele is where it is now unfortunately it is true. The attunement mechanic which was supposed to be the classes’ selling point in practice is it’s downfall a bit. Still I’m having much more fun with it atm.

Maybe it's something on my end then 😂 I didn't play weaver for long as I joined at end of PoF so prolly not as much muscle. 

Maybe something just clicked for me better then it is with catalyst. 

Sure I will get hang of it tho 

I know they say it's alot easier to play since the changes last patch 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1

I played WB, Virtuoso and Vindicator. Vindicator, by a large margin. It is different, and takes a while to get used to. When I did it is so much fun. Dropping on mobs never gets old.

Virtuoso animations are cool, but got boring quickly. And The power variant has ton of issues. And I prefer mirage over condi Virtuoso.

WB, redundant. Power variant is downgrade to DH in every possible way, while being essentially the same. The condi build is pretty good and fun. However, as a guardian main, this is core condi with a leap and spin. Sure, it is better than core, but not exactly refreshing. 

Edited by otto.5684
  • Like 2

I play condi/support builds almost exclusively. Mechanist is amazing to me, but I can definitely see it getting some kind of nerf. Not sure what that'll look like, but I'm betting on it happening. But it's a super strong class and the support side is great.

Harbinger is fun, but squishy as kitten. If my Mechanist gets boring, this is my go-to (with a Scourge off-spec).

Specter has been... okay. I just don't think the single-target mechanics work in a game like GW2. It feels way too limiting, despite how strong it is. And it is strong. I don't think I've ever beaten champs solo as easily as I have with Specter. But that's a small part of the game and the class suffers a bit elsewhere.

Going to try Virtuoso and Catalyst next.