Tone down human deaths?

Ok, first things first, this is a serious question.

I recently started playing this game together with my wife, we have a lot of fun but there's one problem: killing human enemies is creeping her out, up to the point where she doesn't want to do anything that involves bandits or other human enemies. I never really paid attention, but after she complained to me I spent a while killing and I have to say, even tho there is no real blood or gore some of the death animations and accompanying voices may really seem a little disturbing, depending on your personality. It's not like the slapstick deaths from WoW.

I didn't see any options in the menu concerning this and there probably are none, but I'd still want to ask if there are any ways?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 34
  • Sad 3

I don't believe there are any settings to adjust this. Maybe lower the volume channel that has NPC death sounds and turn up the music channel. The visuals are not possible to change. Maybe just turn your view or move on fast. I don't think the game currently has a solution for your situation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kandrax.1504 said:

Ok, first things first, this is a serious question.

I recently started playing this game together with my wife, we have a lot of fun but there's one problem: killing human enemies is creeping her out, up to the point where she doesn't want to do anything that involves bandits or other human enemies. I never really paid attention, but after she complained to me I spent a while killing and I have to say, even tho there is no real blood or gore some of the death animations and accompanying voices may really seem a little disturbing, depending on your personality. It's not like the slapstick deaths from WoW.

I didn't see any options in the menu concerning this and there probably are none, but I'd still want to ask if there are any ways?

Thanks.

These bandits are burning down the orphanage and destroying hospitals: 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Arson_at_the_Orphanage

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Hospital_in_Jeopardy

So by killing them, you're technically saving a lot more innocent lives.

4 hours ago, DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49 said:

Bandits usually attack you first, so it's on them. Rather more concerning should be accidental killing of non-hostile ambient creatures.

Also this -for extra rp points, don't attack anything first. At that point it's nothing more than self-defense.

Understanding that these are really just "bad pixels in a game" and not actual human -or any other- beings also helps.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Only human deaths? This is a strange view of life.

Gw2 is pretty toned down already, in a way it's not to bad but also not ridiculous in my opinion. Some are over the top, but as people say, you can tone down the Volumen.

yeah i find more "louder" the charr death from choke atack type.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Only human deaths? This is a strange view of life.

Gw2 is pretty toned down already, in a way it's not to bad but also not ridiculous in my opinion. Some are over the top, but as people say, you can tone down the Volumen.

I'm guessing the reaction extends to anything humanoid.

I've been playing since betas, and every once in a while one of the death screams still startles me. Though it's more to do with how over-the-top it is, than a sense of disturbing realism. It's in the realm of the Wilhelm Scream.

3 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Gw2 need more blood and violence, not less.

"Need" is a strong word.

GW2 has never been that kind of game.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

also remind that death/sound animation depends on "damage type" weapon, perhaps u are using a "choke" type weapon, its have a more pronounced animation/sound. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage_type

"Choking: Creatures that die to a Choking attack will go through a choking animation (usually clutching at their throats, or stiffening like ice damage above). Choking is the default type for Ashfall and some Halloween weapons like The Cure, and it is prevalent in Necromancer skills."

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

also remind that death/sound animation depends on "damage type" weapon, perhaps u are using a "choke" type weapon, its have a more pronounced animation/sound. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage_type

"Choking: Creatures that die to a Choking attack will go through a choking animation (usually clutching at their throats, or stiffening like ice damage above). Choking is the default type for Ashfall and some Halloween weapons like The Cure, and it is prevalent in Necromancer skills."

Thats actually pretty cool. It shows time and Engagement which anets spend for this game. And is somehow fitting for necro xD.

• Like 1

It bothered me a little bit when I first started playing the game, but I quickly got used to it and now I just think they sound a bit silly. (Especially if you actually look at the animations...evidently, being electrocuted to death means you levitate three feet in the air while vibrating. Wha...how?? Or the choking damage from various Necromancer attacks - excuse me, I just bashed you in the face with an icy greatsword, how does that make you choke to death?)

As others have said, turn off the sound if it bothers you. Or make yourself laugh by imagining the voice actors in the studio yodeling out death rattles for ten minutes straight until they get a good noise. 😜

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

This might be a bit macabre, but i love the dying sounds of centaurs, especially the ones in harathi hinterlands.

That gets weird when doing scaled up events. You just hear waves upon waves of dying sounds due to what I assume is because of having so much of it queued up.