WvW Mechanist roaming build theorycrafting

Joshewwah.2956

Anyone else got a build for wvw for roaming (in small groups) and fighting near zergs?

This is my WIP build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAQlZwsYhsWWKm0W6xVA-z1IY1wAA-w

It focuses on alacrity, by spamming barrier for yourself and small groups, you can get barrier. You get lots of utility from boons, and decent dps with quickness. You get rocket boots so you can easily escape and gap close. Mirages and thieves will waste all their cds trying to chase you with their teleports, but you'll have 2x rocket boots & alacrity meaning your skills have even lower cooldown, so you can out run everyone. This is perfect for roaming and skirmishing near pugs because you can easily escape and live. The mech is also ranged so it won't die easily to all the red circles and it'll stay near you.

Your damage is dealt with quickness + mortar kit, especially at closer ranges. But maybe this build lacks dps, idk, but usually utility + defensiveness is more important in roaming

1 hour ago, Rysdude.3824 said:

I’m messing around with a signet boon build. Not at my rig atm but its alchemy 2-1-2, Inventions 1-2-1 and Mech 3-2-3. Mace/Shield with Absorption and Energy Sigils. Full cele with anti toxin runes. So far its been fun and tanky as heck

Does it do any damage though? Im finding it hard to make the mech do lots of damage in wvw since they can just run away or dodge its ranged attacks

9 hours ago, Joshewwah.2956 said:

Does it do any damage though? Im finding it hard to make the mech do lots of damage in wvw since they can just run away or dodge its ranged attacks

During the last week I'm giving Mechanist a serious go in WVW, using celestial as I run with it everywhere on engie but usually with other especs, the mechanist is decently tanky but doesn't do much damage, if you swap a couple of trait it can offer some small group support and that's what I like about it.

In hard fights I still find Holo and Scrapper better, both have more Damage, more reflects, evades, blocks and in combat mobility.

The Toolbelt beats the Mech, but I find it amusing when people target the Bot and not me as often it can't hit people properly, most of the time it's just wondering about around me in passive mode, but as a boon providing bait it's amazing.

Edited by Cherubino XV.2384
  • Like 1

I wouldnt run your build for several reasons :

-the alac requires your pet to be near you and your allies. For PVE you dont really care because you stack around the boss but for PvP and especially WvW this is extremely clunky to use and unreliable.

-your damage is very low, almost non existant to be honest. The mech deals no damage because it inherits healing and concentration, you as a player dont deal much damage with only rifle. Also the mech doesnt get your boons since you're not running the teleportation sigil. You have no pressure, you're just an annoying pest that runs around the fight but doesnt do much to win them

-celestial is kind of wasted because you dont make use of conditions stats

I would love to propose a good mechanist build however as of right now, I cant think of a single one that would work well without having too many drawback. Mechanist is just that bad for WvW.

• Like 1

Mortar kit doesn't do enough condi to justify celestial.

I use some variant of this cele nades build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAk6lxysYaMXWMOSL+RPA-z1IY1oh/MCTC0rCQxDA-w

Some notes:

1. Spam nades to get might from bleeds (and share it with your mech)
  2. If you are in a group, you can swap to alacrity traits
  3. Elixir U can be swapped for whatever you need (like superconductor signet for decent AoE cleave; flame turret for smoke field, pulsing blind, meh burns)
  4. Overcharge signet does decent burns
  5. Recommend swapping overcharge for supply crate if your mech doesn't die that often
  6. Make sure you CC to proc Celerity for quickness
  7. Mech quickness burst: explosive knuckles (F1) -> jade mortar (F3) (ideally F1 positions mech for a point-blank F3)
  8. F1 does decent damage and applies 5 seconds of weakness (USE IT)
  9. If cleanse sigil is not enough, use heal turret (really good combo field too)
Edited by dvomd.4307

I'll just reiterate what I've said about another cele mechanist build thats supposedly the most super OP thing since sliced bread:

It's the kind of build that would be classed as a good duelist, but a poor smallscaler (and even worse at anything above 5+). I've said this before in other threads - the mechanist is brute force. It got good boons, sure. But if you take the mechanist, you pretty much loose all the utility of an engineer that can turn group fights. For some that's gonna be just fine. For others... Yeah I'd rather turn a hard fight by throwing moa on a hard target, having more elixirs so I can invouln stomp, have stealth that I can use to help my downed buddies avoid a stomp, etc. Mechanist can do some of it half-assed but since it has no F functions the more you divert from a full on signet boon tank mechanist, the more pointless actually picking mechanist become.

The mechanist can fight with the holo over who's the "best" at this.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

I wouldnt run your build for several reasons :

-the alac requires your pet to be near you and your allies. For PVE you dont really care because you stack around the boss but for PvP and especially WvW this is extremely clunky to use and unreliable.

-your damage is very low, almost non existant to be honest. The mech deals no damage because it inherits healing and concentration, you as a player dont deal much damage with only rifle. Also the mech doesnt get your boons since you're not running the teleportation sigil. You have no pressure, you're just an annoying pest that runs around the fight but doesnt do much to win them

-celestial is kind of wasted because you dont make use of conditions stats

I would love to propose a good mechanist build however as of right now, I cant think of a single one that would work well without having too many drawback. Mechanist is just that bad for WvW.

I'm testing different builds from the one posted by the OP, and using mainly Pistol/Shield, Flamethrower in some fights to avoid reflects and have some AOE, the main problem with Mechanist is that it has few active defence options, if you go for damage after you have used those two shield skill you are pretty much naked, and I'm starting to think that Elixir S is a must have for hard fights.

The Barrier can be useful, I can give/get Alacrity and Barrier when near or using siege weapons or when helping near dead allies as the barrier protect and shorten the Healing skills CD.

When roaming you can win attrition fights like when you find yourself against those builds running around based on outlasting tactic, Deadeye, Mesmer, Necros, Druids and the like when they recover you recover more because the pistol conditions wear them out, but it take a LOT of time.

Against glass cannon builds if you can slow them down, like with shield skills, you may be able to let them eat the bot F1 and pistol skills and get the upper hand, if not hope they target your BIG bot bait and keep going.

Enemies hate the bot with a passion, use it as bait, they think it's the bot killing them but it's not.

I'm still convinced that other Engie Specs might be better in WVW, PVP, even core engie, especially for hard matches where you need that special card you can pull off for the win.

But everything said, the support from the boon providing bot bait is undeniable, did you ever die for a couple of seconds of cooldown on your healing skill or shield reflect or Elixir S?

That's what the bot does, it eat those seconds for you and potentially other people around you, the alacrity is the selling point of the Spec at least for me.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:18 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

I'll just reiterate what I've said about another cele mechanist build thats supposedly the most super OP thing since sliced bread:

It's the kind of build that would be classed as a good duelist, but a poor smallscaler (and even worse at anything above 5+). I've said this before in other threads - the mechanist is brute force. It got good boons, sure. But if you take the mechanist, you pretty much loose all the utility of an engineer that can turn group fights. For some that's gonna be just fine. For others... Yeah I'd rather turn a hard fight by throwing moa on a hard target, having more elixirs so I can invouln stomp, have stealth that I can use to help my downed buddies avoid a stomp, etc. Mechanist can do some of it half-assed but since it has no F functions the more you divert from a full on signet boon tank mechanist, the more pointless actually picking mechanist become.

The mechanist can fight with the holo over who's the "best" at this.

HEYY! http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAk6lxy8YWMXWMe6SfxdA-zRRYVRDnPcQBnRmSguVAa8SEmNwrJErWA-e

yeah you said it about this build right here. And It infact is the most op thing since sliced bread! no cap.

Are you tired of being CCed? Are you tired of not having permanent stability/25might/Alac/Fury/protection/swiftness?     FEAR NO MORE! The +90%Boonduration Celestialmechanist is here for you!

@Joshewwa.2956

Try this build. you will not regret it 😉

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

HEYY! http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAk6lxy8YWMXWMe6SfxdA-zRRYVRDnPcQBnRmSguVAa8SEmNwrJErWA-e

yeah you said it about this build right here. And It infact is the most op thing since sliced bread! no cap.

Are you tired of being CCed? Are you tired of not having permanent stability/25might/Alac/Fury/protection/swiftness?     FEAR NO MORE! The +90%Boonduration Celestialmechanist is here for you!

@Joshewwa.2956

Just as an FYI, you are refering to 90% boonduration... with the PvE build that you keep linking. The WvW build "only" have 80% boon duration. 

And also yes that's what I'm saying on that specific build. It's a sustain duelist that's mediocre at roaming/smallscale - that's why so few actually run it unless you can show me ingame footage of mechanists everywhere in WvW killing everything in sight.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 10:17 PM, Sahne.6950 said:

@Joshewwa.2956

Can that build kill anything though?

2 hours ago, Rysdude.3824 said:

I've been having decent success in roaming/small scale with this: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PelAk6lxygZusKWMW8PZxcA-z1IY1ohvMiIB6uA0eW0fTD-w

Nice looking build! Is this viable with pistol instead of mace? (condi or power or both) And what about having rocket boots instead of elixir so I get more mobility?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:37 PM, Joshewwah.2956 said:

Nice looking build! Is this viable with pistol instead of mace? (condi or power or both) And what about having rocket boots instead of elixir so I get more mobility?

Thats probably feasible. Mobility is hardly a bad thing. Could take healing turret with it to blast AOE