WITH NEW EXPANSION COMES A NEW PROFESSION NO?

Furious.1205

I remember the revenant was added when HOT game out. Maybe look into a new MAGE (Monk class)? Maybe it uses magic combined with (Punches and kicks) martial arts? Fist weapons!  The prayer bead skin gave me the idea. If existing weapons are use then staffs are good for martial arts moves as well as magic, and then swords as well. Or maybe a simplified version is to simply add a mastery point that you can unlock allowing players to attack and fight even if a weapon is not equipped. Maybe we can unlock a MAGE or MONK mastery... Never did understand why we can do NOTHING if a weapon was not equipped. At least now the logic for it ties into the story line and training for it (somewhat since in real martial arts you train barehanded before advancing to weapons, just saying...) but justifies not being able to use your fist and kicks as weapons prior to training. The temples and shrines all over End of Dragons could be one of which that mastery achievement track could exist.  Of course, CHARR would finally get to use those scary but useless claws. lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 9

Yeah I’m not sure if they will add a brand new profession. Is it a scholar, adventurer or soldier? Is it none of these and a brand new selection? What your asking might be better as an elite spec, possibly with a focus turning into a martial weapon as they are kinda fist like.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty sure the only reason at the time that Rev was added during HoT was to balance the Number of Professions. At the time there were 3 light Classes, 3 Medium Classes and 2 Heavy classes.... Rev became the 3rd Heavy class. Therefore why would they add more character classes when the idea of adding Elite specs is the decided apon way to add new classes. It does make it harder that they have to do 9 elites but better than...... Oh you added a light class this time but you added a light class last time why not add a medium class ect....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The only way I see anet doing this is adding not one, but three professions, one per armor class (heavy, medium, light) but that is clearly a lot of work, and would leave those three prof. without the many elite classes the original nine have. Honestly its probably better to just use the elite specs system

• Like 1

Rev was just added in order for there to be parity in number of heavy armor class professions with light and medium which had 3 each while heavy only had 2, pre HOT. 

I do think there could be room for a new profession as I wonder how many more elite specs they could add to the current ones. Maybe its time to say ok the existing profs got their 3 elites, time for some brand new professions.

Edited by Faridah.8431
why does paragraph spacing always get huge
  • Confused 1

Guild wars monks are healers and protectors, with smiting magic. They are not martial artists who punch and kick enemies to death.

To the OP, the reason why you can't attack without a weapon is gameplay. Each class uses weapons in a different manner. To add attacks to unarmed status would mean reworking the system entirely I think.

You'd have the thief duel wield skills that get affected (one hand, or duel wield slot etc). You'd have to make skills for all the slots whether it's no weapon, off-hand equipped, or main hand equipped. Then you'd fall into the realm of stats. Since fists wouldn't have the stats as a weapon, said skills and attacks would become useless very quickly.

Unless you added specifically a new weapon type, like say, land spear/polearms (easier just to tweak staff, as they have and added polearms). The new weapon I could see them doing are Javelins for ranged (paragon npcs use these). But a fist weapon I don't know. Maybe?

5 hours ago, Tyson.5160 said:

Yeah I’m not sure if they will add a brand new profession. Is it a scholar, adventurer or soldier? Is it none of these and a brand new selection? What your asking might be better as an elite spec, possibly with a focus turning into a martial weapon as they are kinda fist like.

They do actually have fist fighting animations (shown off in one part of the Auric Basin map) that exist. But.. that's not enough to build an entire brand new class off of. Admittedly, IIRC in EoD we do see some ministry of security individuals who appear to fight with their bare hands and fire magic, I don't know if that's new animations or old.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pax.3548 said:

The only way I see anet doing this is adding not one, but three professions, one per armor class (heavy, medium, light) but that is clearly a lot of work, and would leave those three prof. without the many elite classes the original nine have. Honestly its probably better to just use the elite specs system

I was thinking about that the other day. What if the base profession was light armor but it was introduced together with 3 elite specs (like the Rev was introduced with Herald) and one of those elite specs give it medium armor and another gives it heavy armor?

No, an expansion does not necessitate any new professions.  PoF didn't, EoD doesn't, even GW1's only real expansion didn't.  And I'd be willing to bet that there are examples of other franchises that don't add new professions every expansion. Every mmo doesn't need to be like Black Desert Online, adding a new class every six months.

• Like 1

Revenant was added due to the lack of a third soldier-class profession. Players, and by extension ArenaNet, wanted a nice even 3-3-3 setup.

It was said back after HoT that there were no plans to add new professions then. I doubt that's changed as it'd break the 3-3-3. They could do 4-4-4 but I wouldn't expect them to add three new professions in one go.

So in reply to the title, uh... no. Also what? You’re asking this a month after the second expansion to not feature a new profession? This feels like a question for 2017 when PoF decided not to make that a trend after HoT, a choice which personally I think was absolutely the right one 

Before HoT there were 3 light armor "scholar" and 3 medium armor "adventurer" professions but only 2 heavy armor "soldier" professions. Revenant filled the final, third heavy armor profession - and there was no new professions added with PoF, only new elite specs.

And elite specs were added again with EoD; it will be interesting to see if they choose to add new elite specs for 4th expansion too or what they choose to do.

• Like 1