A/B testing with the current xp boosts confuses groups of new players.

Currently it seems like anet is A/B testing their first change for the new player expierence, which looks like a massive XP boost, so massive that you are level 4 after leaving the tutorial zone. *

That itself might be not a problem, but what is a a problem is that when a group of friends start playing together, Person A might have the boost and Person B might not, which in a group of friends can cause people to be confused and at worst angry, there have been already at least 5 Posts on the subreddit about people like that.

I'm not sure how anet could fix that, but really something needs to be done..for example when you play in a group that either both get the experience or no one gets them to that people can decide if they want to level together.

I also know anet doesn't want to tell us what they are testing and probably doesn't want players to know that they are testing so that their data is not wrong, but you could at least tell us how long you gonna test it so that we can tell people "don't worry its over in 2 weeks"

Edited by Raseus.9431
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

• Raseus.9431 changed the title to A/B testing with the current xp boosts confuses groups of new players.

Sorry that some people cannot get the exp for this Test 😞

Maybe an aura , that gives Parties friends the same benefits ?

They should find a way to advertise that you don't need more than exotics in the game . Grinding for lvl+gear  , is the main concern of new players . Otherwise they go back after the "honeymoon" phase is over . Other grindy non-traditional systems , like Skyscale is safe though .

(how long is the feeling of excitement , trying new games ,  in todays  audience ? 3 days ?)

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ryuk.6840 said:

Sorry that some people cannot get the exp for this Test 😞

Maybe an aura , that gives Parties friends the same benefits ?

They should find a way to advertise that you don't need more than exotics in the game . Grinding for lvl+gear  , is the main concern of new players . Otherwise they go back after the "honeymoon" phase is over . Other grindy non-traditional systems , like Skyscale is safe though .

(how long is the feeling of excitement , trying new games ,  in todays  audience ? 3 days ?)

I mean fast leveling can help with keeping players in the game and not loosing them because it took 2 weeks to get to 80, but tbh the xp boost might be a bit too much..its pretty much double xp. But well that is another discussion, I just hope anet does not try more different things that can hurt groups of friends even more.

Edited by Raseus.9431
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

For those confused by the topic, A/B testing is a method of testing out new features or changing to existing ones by applying different parameters to different accounts. Multiple players in the community have reported being subject to this with regard to experience gain, meaning they're gaining XP at different rates from their friends even while playing the same content and matching all other factors. Trouble is, most of them didn't know why this was happening.

You can read more about why ArenaNet is doing this in this PC Gamer inverview with Josh Davis; I've also clipped the specific quote for your convenience:

"This time around, we're primarily looking at making small, incremental changes that add up big improvements over time. Each of these incremental changes are being deployed as an experiment in an "A/B" test format, meaning we'll test the changes in the Live game with a small number of players, study the results, and then decide to make the change permanent, further iterate on it, or remove it from the game. We'll be making these changes every few weeks, with multiple experiments running simultaneously. We'll communicate any permanent additions to the game once they've made it through testing.

So at the moment, yes these tests are being conducted and no, we probably won't hear much about them officially until ArenaNet decides which of them (if any) to make permanent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Raseus.9431 said:

I mean fast leveling can help with keeping players in the game and not loosing them because it took 2 weeks to get to 80, but tbh the xp boost might be a bit too much..its pretty much double xp. But well that is another discussion, I just hope anet does not try more different things that can hurt groups of friends even more.

People leave because it took 2 weeks to get to 80?  Man, they really hate life in a Korean Grinder, where it took 2 years to get to cap, grinding every day.

• Confused 2