What needs to happen, Anet

5 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Would you kindly define 'Veteran', as I feel I am a casual player that's pretty much played every day since pre-launch.  If I am not a 'Veteran', does that mean I am a 'New Player'??

That does not depend on the time span, but the amount of content you've played through, experienced and mastered. Simple enough, no? You're neither a veteran nor a new player, obviously.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I feel like you're making up your own definitions here.  

This is the third dictionary definition of veteran and the only one that remotely applies here:

"A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity."

So a person who plays Guild Wars 2 in the open world is in fact a Guild Wars 2 veteran.  A person could be a hard core WvW or PvPer and know nothing about raids. They're veterans too.  Veteran means long experience, not necessarily specific experience.

Casuals are people who take a casual approach to things. They don't take things too seriously. They don't try too hard. They're not competitive.  You can have a casual raiding group that just tries to get through stuff, without trying to be efficient (who fails a lot) but they're still casual.

Using terms at cross purposes to how most other people use them doesn't really make conversing about stuff easier.

Right? Veteran refers to the longevity of the experience, while casual describes the actions of that experience. Those things are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 5

Veteran : a player who has enough experience in the given GENRE that they play the given game confidently and with skill and/or knowledge. Note a new player may enter the game and become a veteran extremely quickly, for e.g a new player with 15k hours experience in another mmorpg.  

Hardcore player : (very limited inGW2)  a player that dedicates a significant amount of time to particular elements of a game to gain mastery and optimal performance in the form of cutting edge progression and  meter performance.  A Hardcode player values relative performance above most if not all gameplay elements.  Other examples may be a 'Hardcore trader' etc

Casual player:  not Hardcore, may be Veteran and/or highly skilled or may be new/inexperienced.  May play a small amount of hours a week or a massive amount of hours a week.

So what 'needs to happen' as the OP puts it is that GW2 needs to provide content that gives max bang for the buck in terms of development cost to satisfy the most amount of players while also allocating some resource to more niche elements to give a richer spread of content for all.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Veteran : a player who has enough experience in the given GENRE that they play the given game confidently and with skill and/or knowledge. Note a new player may enter the game and become a veteran extremely quickly, for e.g a new player with 15k hours experience in another mmorpg.  

Hardcore player : (very limited inGW2)  a player that dedicates a significant amount of time to particular elements of a game to gain mastery and optimal performance in the form of cutting edge progression and  meter performance.  A Hardcode player values relative performance above most if not all gameplay elements.  Other examples may be a 'Hardcore trader' etc

Casual player:  not Hardcore, may be Veteran and/or highly skilled or may be new/inexperienced.  May play a small amount of hours a week or a massive amount of hours a week.

So what 'needs to happen' as the OP puts it is that GW2 needs to provide content that gives max bang for the buck in terms of development cost to satisfy the most amount of players while also allocating some resource to more niche elements to give a richer spread of content for all.

It's funny how many read this as "TAKE AWAY FROM THE GENERAL AUDIENCE, GIVE IT ALL TO HARDCORE, HUR DUR!"

Reading comprehension, people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

54 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

That does not depend on the time span, but the amount of content you've played through, experienced and mastered. Simple enough, no? You're neither a veteran nor a new player, obviously.

I'm sure we are all relieved that someone was elected to define 'Veteran' and 'Casual' for the Guild Wars 2 population.  Congratulations! 

:classic_dry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Funny they seem to have made some content for the experienced veteran in EoD, in open world no less, and see a lot of complaint.  So guess most of the game is "casuals".  Agree all of it should not be new player exclusive, but Anet knows it's audience isn't all long time players who haven't left their keyboard since 2014.  Most of it is meant for the casual player, i.e. the working person or student who plays a couple of hours a night and wants to relax not make it a second job.  Sincerely, a recovered hardcore veteran of other games.

• Like 1