Just can't get into EoD like I did the other xpacs.....

53 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

After HoT added gliding (and all the other new and fun ways of map travel) I could not imagine what else could change the game this much, again. Even some people said before PoF, it's not realistic to expect the next expansion to change the game as much as the last.

And then Anet explored the topic of map travel again and added mounts to the game with PoF. But not just mounts, but mounts that are (as a lot of people say) the best mounts in the MMO industry.

With HoT and PoF not all masteries had the same impact. But they all shared a common concept. With EoD it seems like random, leftover masteries ideas are put together without a clear common concept. With EoD, probably no one will say that GW2 has the best fishing, multiplayer mounts and boats in the MMO industry. I'm not even talking about Jade Bots and Arborstone.

And fishing looks like it is just a copy of Stardew valley. https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fishing

Maybe you are right and it is not realistic to expect from the actual studio the same creative quality they have put into HoT and PoF. But I still hope Anet will do better in the future.

I maintain this is not about creative quality. First of all, the fishing is pretty kitten good, but there's only so much you can do with fishing. There are stand alone fishing games that use similar controls.  I'm not sure how you could creatively make fishing better, tbh.  It's not like mounts where mounts were really insufficient in other games. Anet took fishing which has been done to death even in dedicated fishing simulations and added a fishing sim to this game.  It's fine for what it is.

But there's nothing as big as mounts and gliding except perhaps housing that's a major MMO feature this game doesn't have. Nothing is going to change the game as much as them and they're here now.   It's simply a product of diminishing returns. You add stuff to games that they're miss then they're not missing them anymore. You add the big stuff first and it's the little stuff that's left.  At the first least a lot of people seem to think Strike missions the way they were added are a good thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'm not sure how you could creatively make fishing better, tbh. 

tbh, nor do I.  But I am not a game designer and lack (sometimes) that kind of creative imagination.

But I do have read that there are players that do not like the fishing minigame. They wanted to be fishing as some form of low-level relaxing activity where they can fish and talk in chat with other players.  But writing in chat and at the same time pressing the minigame-buttons does not work well.  And instead of looking at the fish, rod and beautiful scenery they revisit in all the maps they have to stare at the minigame bars. So, I guess, there maybe are other ways (better, good, worse) how fishing could be implemented in the game.

It's not like mounts where mounts were really insufficient in other games.

Mounts were not insuffient in other games, but they were either just speed bufs or (sort of) "Tamagotchi" mini-games, or both. Nothing wrong with that by itself.

Anet took the "Speed Buf" idea and added something unique. To have some way of fun and progression in the metroidvania style of map travel that started with HoT. And with this Anet created really something new and outstanding with mounts.

Anet took fishing which has been done to death even in dedicated fishing simulations and added a fishing sim to this game. 

Yeah, that's more-or-less what I'm saying. If they would have done the same with mounts, mounts would have been just a (nice looking) speed-buf in GW2.

BTW speed-buf: The Jade-Bots (I really like the little drone and wish I could make pictures and selfies all over in Tyria with it) are mostly some bufs and for recycling/gathering. Personal waypoint existed already in the game (prototype recycler). Also revive orbs. Jade Bots feel unfinished and not really fleshed out. 

Edited by Zok.4956

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I maintain this is not about creative quality. First of all, the fishing is pretty kitten good, but there's only so much you can do with fishing. There are stand alone fishing games that use similar controls.  I'm not sure how you could creatively make fishing better, tbh.  It's not like mounts where mounts were really insufficient in other games. Anet took fishing which has been done to death even in dedicated fishing simulations and added a fishing sim to this game.  It's fine for what it is.

But there's nothing as big as mounts and gliding except perhaps housing that's a major MMO feature this game doesn't have. Nothing is going to change the game as much as them and they're here now.   It's simply a product of diminishing returns. You add stuff to games that they're miss then they're not missing them anymore. You add the big stuff first and it's the little stuff that's left.  At the first least a lot of people seem to think Strike missions the way they were added are a good thing.

Completely agree with this. ANET went all out and made big features like gliding and mounts already. At this point, with the exception of housing, there are only so many features you can add that will feel ‘Game Changing’. I think it’s unfair to developers to expect that every single expansion. 

What we should expect is new ways to experience the world. Yes, the skimmer already existed, but I adore the Skiff. It is far more immersive in my opinion and the game is better for it. Yes fishing maybe should have been treated as a gathering skill as opposed to a mastery line, but the game is better for having it.

All that said, unless you can come up with something you personally think would be as game changing as gliding or mounts or housing, then we should be excited for when they expand the world and produce new ways of exploring it. 

PS- If you genuinely have an awesome idea for some big feature that would be equivalent to gliding, mounts or housing share it on the forums! 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

POF held my attention for like 3 weeks, EoD i was bored with after 3 days. I am yet to finish the story, i quit after the first map. PvP has not changed enough for me to have more fun, switched to necro for a while. Feels samey, the metas are boring and over complicated for me. Still giving it a 6/10 as before

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Something 'game changing' would have been something that actually changed the game, like a new personal story featuring, say, Tengu or Largos -- or both! -- along with human Canthans, ranging from level 1 to 80 and eventually dove-tailing with the ongoing personal story, somewhere near the beginning of EoD for existing commanders. With new professions and new weapons. Pretty much all those things so many here decry as too resource/time intensive. To which I say, fie. Fie, I say. Fie.

Something more akin to the new campaigns of old. That's what I would have liked. YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

Something 'game changing' would have been something that actually changed the game, like a new personal story featuring, say, Tengu or Largos -- or both! -- along with human Canthans, ranging from level 1 to 80 and eventually dove-tailing with the ongoing personal story, somewhere near the beginning of EoD for existing commanders. With new professions and new weapons. Pretty much all those things so many here decry as too resource/time intensive. To which I say, fie. Fie, I say. Fie.

Something more akin to the new campaigns of old. That's what I would have liked. YMMV.

It's easy to imagine something game changing when you're just fantasising. Now imagine you have the same constraints (in terms of budget, time and the like) as previous GW2 expansions and try again. 

• Confused 1

I pretty much agree with a lot being said here, so I can't add much. 

Biggest negatives for me are: The maps feeling feeling empty and that hasn't changed since the expansions release. Also the maps feel generally less rewarding although the enemies feel more numerous and events more difficult. 

Biggest positive: Hands down the music is incredible, the best out of all expansions. Secondly the voice acting was really good this round. 

I wouldn't say I was able to get lost in it like I have previous expansions. I have been pleasantly surprised by it as much as I have been disappointed.

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Diovid.9506 said:

It's easy to imagine something game changing when you're just fantasising. Now imagine you have the same constraints (in terms of budget, time and the like) as previous GW2 expansions and try again. 

Do you have any insights about comparing budget, time and the like constraints of HoT, PoF and EoD? If yes, please share this information. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1