I would rather not have total photo realism, I would rather have an art style

Photo realism is boring. 
Photo realism doesn't make a game stand out.
It would be nice if the development team further developed a visual style.  We could see that watercolor aesthetic in more than just the loading screens you know.  Outfits, mount skins, weapons, infusions...

Sooo many people obsess over "better" graphics, but that stunts a game's artistic esthetic.
Also try to remember: a great many people are playing this game on a potato PC.  Improving graphics too far imposes a tech wall, which is a paywall of sorts, forcing people to buy better hardware if they want to play the game.

Edit: a post I make later in the thread: 

ah. I was not complaining about the current state of the game.  I see so much focus on improving graphics quality in game's media.  Magazines always praising how good, how real, a game looks.  I was dreading the thought of Gw2 becoming one of those games with the main focus on graphics rather than story or game play.  I wonder if I should edit my op or just leave it. I don't want Gw2 to become photo realistic.  I don't want photo realism in the future, I didn't mean to imply that the game had photo realism currently.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
removed a single confrontational sentence. I was too vague in my initial post and few are reading my 3rd post.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Diak Atoli.2085 said:

I'm trying to understand where this idea of GW2's art style trending towards photo-realism came from.

Nothing in GW2 strikes me as photo-realistic.

Why do plant people have chest bumps? No part of this makes sense. If they were literal melons then sure, but they aren't.

We can't address photorealism while the things in the photo don't look real. 🤪

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Why do plant people have boobs? No part of this makes sense. If they were literal melons then sure, but they aren't.

We can't address photorealism while the things in the photo don't look real.

Well, this may surprise you, but in reality there are no such things as talking and walking plant people. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I mean Gw2 is what it is. I wouldn't say it goes towards photo realism but it also doesn't have any distinguished art style. In my opinion it goes towards generic korean rpgs. And all the tacky gem store additions just push it more towards that. 

But with good and unique art style graphics will test the time much better.

And plant people concept has nothing to do with art style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Some areas look like a painting and I think those are really nice examples of what the game should look like. It's like the terrain has the texture of canvas or paper and the colours kind of look like watercolours or pastels over that texture. It's so hard to describe becasue it's subtle and doesn't literally look like what I'm describing. I give up!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Why do plant people have chest bumps? No part of this makes sense. If they were literal melons then sure, but they aren't.

Because the sylvari created by the Pale Tree were made in the image of Ventari's companion, Ronan, who was a human. This was the Pale Tree paying respect to the person who saved them, nurtured them, and looked after them for their entire life thereafter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Improving graphics too far imposes a tech wall, which is a paywall of sorts, forcing people to buy better hardware if they want to play the game.

Alternatively a game that does not take advantage of a player's better computer may be of less interest to those inclined to spend large amounts of money on their hobby.

• Confused 1

Of all the things that could be said of GW2's art style (which I personally love, btw), I'm firm in my belief that photo-realism is not one of them. And having done a great deal of photography over the past 45+ years irl, I feel very confident of that assertion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To address another part of the OP:  Improving graphics doesn't necessarily mean GW2 will require better hardware.

Improving graphics can include anything from optimizing the graphics engine and improving graphical performance to bringing old '2012' graphics up to modern standards.

• Like 1

ah. I was not complaining about the current state of the game.  I see so much focus on improving graphics quality in game's media.  Magazines always praising how good, how real, a game looks.  I was dreading the thought of Gw2 becoming one of those games with the main focus on graphics rather than story or game play.  I wonder if I should edit my op or just leave it. I don't want Gw2 to become photo realistic.  I don't want photo realism in the future, I didn't mean to imply that the game had photo realism currently.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Ahhh gotcha lol, ok yeh I agree with that.  I find it's current art style beautiful and delightful.  💜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why people confuse better graphics and photorealism?  Better graphics means use technology advances. Is nothing to to with the art. Example using direct11 is better graphics didn't change the look just improve the frame rare.  Been able to have global illumination and occlusion doesn't change the art. Is the tech behind on how light is compute.

Bump mads are to create extra detail with out adding extra geometry. Increasing the amount of poligons that a camera can render increase the detail on the art. Imagine a pic with 10 pixels or another with 100?

I think who made this post should inform better and educate himself on what technology / art difere and how they empower each other.   Listen to Pixar talks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 1:31 PM, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

I can actually answer this: 

The Pale Tree took inspiration from the humanoid races that dominated Tyria. If you look Google it, it's in the wiki I think. 

On 4/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Photo realism is boring. 
Photo realism doesn't make a game stand out.
It would be nice if the development team further developed a visual style.  We could see that watercolor aesthetic in more than just the loading screens you know.  Outfits, mount skins, weapons, infusions...

Sooo many people obsess over "better" graphics, but that stunts a game's artistic esthetic.
Also try to remember: a great many people are playing this game on a potato PC.  Improving graphics too far imposes a tech wall, which is a paywall of sorts, forcing people to buy better hardware if they want to play the game.

I don't know... Black Desert and New World try for photorealism, makes for some pretty amazing screenshots and videos. And neither push too hard on system requirements.

While I actually also would love to see a different artstyle (I actually prefer the one from WOW for example), I honestly also like the GW2 one. 

It's not overly realistic, but just the right amount. 

Also that argument about a pay wall because people need to get better PCs is total BS. 

The fact that the DX12 beta gives you like 50% extra fps which you hadn't before should compromise pretty well. 

Furthermore GW2 is nowhere gpu limited but actually just engine limited. 

The game will literally run well on a total potato, and will always run bad when 50+ players are doing an event or so (even on the most kitten PC in the world). 

And even then. There are graphic settings for a reason. 

I can run the game good enough on my i5 laptop if I wanted...