Expansion Future Weapons

AEFA.9035

Future Weapon  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys think the next weapon for Ranger should be for the next expansion? (if we were to get a new spec)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2022 at 02:00 AM

I'd like a shield spec where the ranger takes over the pets and gets their 3 skills and two extra skills by default. You basically merge with the pet like soulbeast, but instead it's your soul going into the beast. The utilities could be a lot like glyphs where it does one thing as the pet and another when unmerged. This spec could seriously buff the pet when merged, allowing the skills to be cast while moving, and finally give rangers a zerg-worthy spec. You basically become a nigh indestructible beast, bringing carnage and unmerging when you need to go on the defense. The shield would help bridge the gap until the next merger. The merge will have a duration. 

That or a mass pet class that lets you summon multiple (up to 5) pets. And greatly up their damage and nerf your damage. Again, the shield to help you survive while your pets rip them to shreds, and the shield helps here lock the enemy down, allowing your pets to get on them. 

• Confused 1

Either Mace or Rifle.

With Rifle, the specialization could be Hunter:

Lose access to the pet, but gain Warrior's Adrenalin/Burst feature. Since Spectre got Necromancer's profession mechanic, that's not too outlandish of an idea. Burst abilities will be affected by traits that usually affect Beast abilities.

Command abilities now work for allies around you instead of the pet.

Traits that usually affect the pet would affect the Hunter in reduced capacity.

The new utilities could be Physical, Venoms or Preparations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd personally like a mainhand scepter to go with a more offensive caster elite spec with good AoE damage. I could see it pairing well with warhorn and offhand axe. Druid's staff made us a caster but is almost purely a support tool. Scepter could be for mid-range ground targeted damage and control.

• Like 2

Rifle, and make it about stealth. Give us the Primal Hunter we're missing. Take the stealth monopoly off of a thieves for a while atleast.

I should point out that I dont even play ranger all that much, I just feel like it would make much more sense. We have the druid attuned to spirit (looking like a mage), we got the soulbeast strongly tied to their pet and versatile, we have the untamed which is damaged and brawling focused. What we're missing is a silent hunter archetype. Something that make traps more interesting the same way Druid made spirits, and soulbeast made pets more interesting.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

Why do people want a shield? 

Was just joking and taking a jab to ANet. They been giving ranger especs really bad weapons, so it's better to expect to get more bad weapons. Like, I'm so happy to play with the same weapons for years <3. 

Shield would be neat, with a sort of "Guardian of nature" vibe? Like an offensive shield with facet like utilities that provide "Thorns" and damage reflects to the party? Like it could be the darker side of nature. So you take the ferocity and primal aggression and roll it into a tanky build with bigger and nastier pets. You loose pet swap because your bet becomes a monster (Literally.) and it provides the buffs along side you so you two can tank together. 

Give it alac, give it perhaps even wells? Im not sure. I think it should also be based around taking from the enemy, so like boons and stuff could get ripped and provided to your party. It's not as bursty as soulbeast and not as support orientated as druid but it has a bit of both and is more of a bunker/bruiser. I know they are trying to do this with untamed but I doubt it'll happen.

Still sad they didn't do more than slap an infusion on our pets though... like that honestly in of itself needs a huge rework.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Krispera.5087 said:

Was just joking and taking a jab to ANet. They been giving ranger especs really bad weapons, so it's better to expect to get more bad weapons. Like, I'm so happy to play with the same weapons for years <3. 

Oh, the sarcasm went right over my head ahah 

Personally wanting Scepter mostly because I think an offensive caster-type elite spec would be very interesting and be done in a way that offers a very unique theme. Some nature-y shaman / witch doctor mage that uses offensive nature magic or magic in a way that’s very different from Druid.

At this point though Ranger has I’d say a very good spread of weapon roles.

- GS, two handed melee power

-Longbow, two handed ranged power

-Hammer, two handed melee power / CC

-Shortbow, two handed ranged condi

-Staff, two handed support

-Sword, one handed melee power

-Axe and Dagger, ranged/melee hybrid damage (MH)

-Torch, offhand condi

-Axe, offhand power

-Warhorn, offhand support (mostly)

-Dagger, offhand “skirmishing” weapon (dodges, ranged cripple)

Unless the new weapon gets a very specific niche, it will probably overlap a bit with our other ones. Only ones I could think of would be a pure Condi 1h weapon (Scepter, pistol, mace) (Axe and Dagger are both hybrid and work in power and Condi builds), or instead get shield which provides more offhand support or more “direct” defensive capabilities (Ranger as a class is overall very skirmish-y and relies a lot on dodges and evasion less than pure “power through it” like I guess a Warrior seem to).

Personally not that big of a fan of Rifle. I do see that being a pretty iconic weapon for a Hunter themed elite spec, but it seems it would end up competing directly with Longbow. I don’t really see it having its own use cases compared to LB unless it ends up feeling like something that’s not a traditional rifle, such as a short shotgun kinda like Engi or long range AoE bombardment.

Edited by AlexndrTheGreat.8310

I was thinking of a stealth trapper type ranger with focus like a bear trap

Getting into rangers in mythology were roamers who lived in the forest however after deforestation via different enemies they would come out and fight. That being said they would hide in the bushes and trap and ambush their unsuspecting enemies and then vanish into the forest again.

Just a thought

• Like 1

I'd be happy with them just making the staff a bit more of hybrid weapon and not just full support. Would a little bit more damage be too much to ask? They already have damage attached to a few skills but they hit like wet noodles.

I'd vote for Spear (land) if it was an option.

I'd love to see a chloromancer as someone else mentioned!

Edited by Mardane.8735

They've already done 2 two-handed weapons, so I doubt they'll do a third. I'd like a rifle, but I'm expecting an off-hand just because it's the one weapon type ranger hasn't got so far. And between off-hands, shield is probably the one that can realistically have a different enough playstyle, as Alexandr points out:

On 4/15/2022 at 1:35 AM, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

-Torch, offhand condi

-Axe, offhand power

-Warhorn, offhand support (mostly)

-Dagger, offhand “skirmishing” weapon (dodges, ranged cripple)

What's currently missing is a defensive option, and mobility, and shield could do either/both.

Ranged axe+shield lends itself to a viking-like aesthetic, so I can't sayI would be disappointed with such an outcome.

Edited by RabbitUp.8294

On 4/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

New weapon: Shield

New mechanics: Camouflage

New skill type: Deception / Preparation / Trick / Stealth Attack 

New pets: Swarms  

I've thought about it, and I think shield could work for the ranger (as long as you don't have to throw them that is. It's a minor thing, I know, but otherwise, it would limit what shield they'd use, aesthetically, to perfectly rounded shields)

One question, what are swarm pets and how would they work?

• Like 1