Is Barrier Wanted?

Jalad Lantana.3027

Started playing Engineer Mech recently and doing Strikes for the first time, and made this build based on several videos and forum posts.

What do you call this build, crap? or ?

It survives fine in Strikes.  All I see in the log is giving lots of barrier to the squad,  but it is hard to tell how much if any alacrity, regen or healing is going out.

I am new to Strikes so have no clue, is this a wanted build or is it dragging down groups?  If so, what build do you suggest that pulls it's weight?

Edited by Jalad Lantana.3027

So, yeah, Barrier is great, it keeps scholar buff up better than healing, and we always have healing options we can fall back on. 

Overall your build looks very hybrid and not optimized.  It's mostly healer build gear/traits, but without the healing utilities, and then focusing on Confusion but without condi damage.  Mechanist can do a lot of different things, but it's best to focus things a bit. 

Normally I'd suggest Magi over Clerics, just in case you decided to raid, but for anything else, clerics works fine.  For the heal/support build of course Harrier is in general the best choice but that's much more expensive and more something to work towards.  What you're lacking gear wise for converting this into a heal/support build is boon duration which you can get cheaply by swapping to Rebirth Runes (10s each right now).  Then Force Sigil just isn't going to be doing much for you with your low offensive stats, swap that to Transference ideally.  Then it's just swapping traits and utilities with Elixir Gun (for 5 skill which is a healing field) and Mortar Kit (again 5 skill is a healing field) and you have a solid heal/support build. 

You end up with this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pe0Ak6plxy8YtMXWKeyTXRVA-zRIYvSGTB+QqQEUtCIdJgd/ABtAUyZxvhN-e

Shift Signet and Barrier Signet can change as needed, like Thumper Turret (give it a few seconds to do the second thump) or Personal Battering Ram for CC.  

You won't be keeping boons up as well as the meta build, but you'll be able to heal and alac just fine with still very high protection/fury/might uptime.

There are some heal/support/condi hybrid builds out there, but that's more Cele/Seraph gear and focusing on burning from Bomb/FT kits and pistol.

How does taking Soothing Detonation make a difference when taking Mech removes toolbelt F1-F5 skills?

I will try your suggested changes out, thanks.

How do I tell if it is working? Are there benchmarks for healing and alac?  What am I looking for?

Edited by Jalad Lantana.3027

3 hours ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

How does taking Soothing Detonation make a difference when taking Mech removes toolbelt F1-F5 skills?

How do I tell if it is working? Are there benchmarks for healing and alac?  What am I looking for?

I've been toying with the Heal Alacrity Build a bit an here is what I have found.

If you are running a fully optimal strike / raid build w/full Harrier you should be able to keep 100% alac uptime by pressing three buttons F2 Crisis Zone, F3 Barrier Burst, and Barrier Signet. Do not mash all of them at the same time wait for one to finish then move to the next Starting with F2 then move to F3 then Barrier Signent. Don't forget these boons proc from your mech so its placement is vital for giving boons to your group. If you use these skills off of cooldown you will maintain 100% uptime on Alacrity. 

This build can fully cover Alacrity, Might, Fury, Regeneration, Protection, Vigor for your subgroup. That what makes it so strong lets not forget to mention the barrier it gives. 

You asked about the toolbelt skills being removed. While yes the F1-F5 are gone the new "Toolbelt" are the mech skills F1-F3.

Build I am currently using (Snowcrows): [&DQMvOR0fRiqEAAAAEBsAAAsbAACVAQAAmAEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

9 hours ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

First, I want to say, I forgot to swap the healing skill to Med Kit, Med kit is a must for healing (well actually you can get away with Healing Turret in a lot of places, but Med Kit is just SO much healing for your group and some good boons).

Excusion already hit on it, but yeah, Mech command skills count as toolbelt skills and will proc Soothing Detonation. 

Experimental Turrets is also a valid option for that line of traits, but it's more situational so I didn't hit on it.  Traited turrets will pop up a short term delayed projectile bubble which can be handy, and then it makes each turret pulse it's own boon.  With the build I posted you're only at 50% boon duration (34% on the one you have right now) so you won't have full fury/protection/might uptime, you could take Rifle, Thumper, or Flame Turret to help cover those boons.

As far as knowing if it's working, it's not so cut and dry like DPS.  All healing in any RPG game has a soft cap in that you can't heal someone who's already at full health, so heal parses are really more for checking low performance than anything else. If I only have say 1k healing out on a failed Boneskinner, I'm screwing something up because I'm usually at 4k+.  And, sometimes 4k is enough, other times I've hit 8k+ which just means we did a much better job avoiding damage in the 4k one and I didn't really do much differently. 

Then also teammates dying, isn't really always accurate because a lot of deaths are things you can't save them from.  I like to think of damage intake as Jabs, Uppercuts, and Haymakers, we should be easily healing through the jabs, and uppercuts are the things that almost kills people but not fully and we need to respond with quickly healing everyone back up so they're ready for the next hit.  Then Haymakers are the one-shot mechanics that each person in the team needs to learn to avoid themselves.  So if people are dying to the haymakers but surviving the jabs/uppercuts just fine, then you're doing your job. 

I'd also look at boon uptime, that's the secondary to the healing role now, every healer is expected to bring some major boon support in the forms of Might, Protection, Fury, Vigor and then now Quickness(Firebrand/Scrapper) or Alacrity(Mech/Vindicator?).  Alacrity on this build should be pretty easy, the mech will automatically push out like 1/3 uptime, and then between Crisis Zone (F2) and Barrier Burst (F3) you'll get the rest you need at 50% boon duration.  Mace, Barrier Signet, and Barrier Burst are all pretty inconsistent on how much Alacrity they give due to the 1second internal cooldown on the Alacrity trait and a conflict with the Mech's pulsing barrier(and therefor Alacrity), so it's a bit tougher to calculate, but in either case 50% boon duration, the mech's pulses and mech command skills used off cooldown will cover Alacrity and your Mace/Barrier Signet is just padding on top.  The other boons you'll struggle with a little bit at only 50% boon duration, but like I said above, you have options with traited turrets.

This Video does a good job giving some tips for new Engi healers:

Medkit 2 and 4 are not part of the "rotation" and best saved for when they're actually needed.  They don't say they're part of the rotation but in the video they do use them in the demonstration, so I thought it was worth clarifying.

Also the Snowcrows website has some good tips on it's build page even if you're not going to be wearing the same gear right now.  I'd check out both the Scrapper and Mechanist heal pages in case one includes some Engi heal tips the other doesn't.

And, yes, I type too much, sorry

Edited by Jerus.4350
  • Like 1