A Practical Way To Add Swimwear(And other summer fashion skins) To The Game

Editing it again to make it clear before you start reading. This topic is not meant to be a demand, it's an attempt at creating a discussion between the community about a new category of skins, my idea and the implementation of it is very basic and it has many flaws, but that's how every idea starts. Everything written below is based on a theorized assumption as to why we never got armor skins or outfits that resemble swimsuits or summer clothing. I might be completely off the mark, but it never hurts to have a discussion, something good can come out of any discussion.

Thanks to the recent addition of the Thousand Seas Pavilion, we are reminded yet again that summer clothing is still a missing chunk of Fashion Wars 2. Once more, we look at the NPCs in the Pavilion's beach just as we did Southsun, dreaming of what could be, this will only hurt more once Festival of the Four Winds returns in August, where the cycle repeats- BUT! There is hope!

Okay peeps, let's get serious, keeping it nice and simple the TLDR is: New category of skins just for empty armor slots.

You heard that right, empty armor slots!

I'm specifically talking about the 'Chest', 'Leggings', and maaaaaaybe 'Boots' slots.

Currently, if you unequip a piece of armor and head to the wardrobe through your Hero panel, this is the message you receive, it simply says "You can't apply a skin to an empty slot." That's just it! You can't even dye anything! Where is the fun in that?

But what if that changed?! What if we get a new category of wardrobe skins that are ONLY applied to empty armor slots, I'm talking about swimsuits, summer shirts, beach sandals, all that jazz!

Reading this right now you're probably wondering why any of this is even necessary, why not just add it all as armor skins and such. That might work for boots, hats, but let's be honest, it would get old real fast if you're fighting an epic map meta boss and everyone around you is wearing their bikinis and beach straw hats. Making it so those skins are only applied to EMPTY armor slots means that if you use them in PvE, you'd lose the advantage of your armor runes and more than half of your defense, deterring such cases(Imagine doing the DE meta without your chest piece, leg armor and boots. That would hurt, right?) This is what would make this work perfectly. This is the only reason I can think of that stopped Anet from adding all of this in the past, so this idea is centered around that assumption.

Let's talk about... IMPLEMENTATION!

Now I'll admit, I don't know everything about game design or programming, but from the point of view of a player, this wouldn't be impossible to do seeing as we got customization for gathering tools, fishing rod skins, skiff skins, and some hints of possible jade bot skins(Which is probably akin to the gathering tool skins). This would work in a similar way, let me make up a category name for it real quick... Uh, how about 'Attires', yeah? Let's call it that. Don't judge me I'm not creative okay? You can suggest whatever other name that fits into this category, though it would be limiting to just call it 'swimwear'.

Example

Alright so! A new category of skins is added to the game called Attires, an Attire is a skin that can be applied on an empty chest and legging slot(Maybe boots too? Not sure, might not be necessary to include boots) through the wardrobe menu.

Attires could be sold in sets or packages in the gemstore, themed or otherwise, each set containing a skin(or two) for the chest slot, a skin for the leggings slot, etc etc, this is so people can MIX&MATCH different Attires from different sets(this is for FASHION!).

Once you purchase and unlock the skin, you unequip the piece of armor correlating to the Attire skin slot, open your wardrobe, select the empty chest slot, pick the skin and click apply just as if it's an armor skin, naturally this also means the ability to dye the Attire skin in the dye panel and also use dyes on underwear because why not, that lets you dye both... say an Attire skirt and the generic top(When you unequip the chest skin) to make all sorts of fashion looks! It would be very unfortunate if this idea gets added and regular underwear still remains undyeable.

As a last note,

If somehow a similar system gets added, there is the issue of when you enter areas that automatically remove your armor layer, I'm not sure how possible it is to make it so your Attire shows up instead, like in Pearl Islet's beach or the changing room of the beach in Labyrinthine Cliffs. Not to forget diving goggles! Imagine actually having the choice to look at least a little modest when you pick up diving goggles, wouldn't that be great?

Issues(From replies):

1-The stats and upgrades of legendaries get reset when unequipped, requiring a different implementation(Or changing how legendaries work when unequipped which would just be a hassle).

I can imagine some counter arguments to this solution, like:

"Why not just use outfits?" - Because it's been years and it's obvious that they don't want to add swimwear as outfits, we don't know why but it could be because they don't want people in PvE using swimsuits.

"Can't they just be added as regular armor skins?" - Again, this whole idea is about letting players have swim and summer wear without it being something that can be used in general PvE, and also Anet clearly doesn't want to for unknown reasons, this being one of them. This solution makes it so Attires are used in ways that won't disturb your PvE adventures with everyone around you chilling in swimsuits. Attires are mostly going to be used in maps with no combat or sections of maps that fit the proper scene(Like Southsun's beach for example) or for cosplays, fashion designs, all kinds of fun stuff.

"Wait a minute, isn't this just town clothes?" - Shh, they're listening, don't even say those words!- Okay no, to be clear, this is not just town clothes under a different name though town clothes' assets would be useful here maybe? This is just a long overdue idea that the fashion community would love to have added.

Why do we have to suffer and sit back while those Labyrinthine Cliffs NPCs get to enjoy their unique and colorful beach clothes?! Why must we be trapped behind a window of jealousy and envy, wishing for what that one charr NPC's wearing?! No longer! Guild Wars 2 deserves to have swimsuits! Also Summer's around the corner and we just want to have fun, so... Pretty please Anet?(I know it doesn't work like this, just trying to keep it light)

IF the assumption I'm making about the reasons why swimsuits for players don't exist are even correct, then this idea is an attempt to create a discussion and provide solutions to solve problems related to adding beach/summer Attires, without the confusing and messy system of the old town clothes. The result of this discussion should hopefully be a simplistic and intuitive system that fits what currently exists in the game. The assets exist since 2012, the tools are there, and of course, the community support is ALWAYS there! ❤️

Reply with any improvements you have(I'll make a list) and make sure to share this if you like the idea!

EDIT: It seems like a few people are confused as to why this discussion even exists, I added some extra lines to explain it:

Currently in GW2, you can see many NPC models(Of all 5 races) in the game with some type of swimwear, beachwear, shorts, so on since Living World Season 1. These skins seem well polished, but are all STILL inaccessible to players. Of course, it's not simple to just give players those skins at any moment, it would need rigging and some testing to make sure there are no bugs related to these skins, we understand this, but let me put it this way:

This whole post is still based on the assumption that, because half if not most of the work to make these skins has already been done, yet none of them have ever been released to players, then it must be because Anet doesn't want players to have the ability to wear these skins. So it makes sense to try and present our own ideas, especially when we don't actually know what ideas were considered behind the scenes or even exactly why they don't want this in the game.

This is not meant to be another entitled demand, this is meant to create a discussion, the exact reason these forums exist. In a game with as much customization as GW2 has, it's odd that we're locked to the same scant clothes whenever we pick up diving goggles or when our armor breaks, with ZERO control over how modest we want our characters to be. This also affects races differently, playing some races(humans and sylvari) forces you to wear as LITTLE as possible whenever you pick up diving goggles, the inconsistency with this is something that has to be addressed sooner or later.

Edited by Albie.5284
Additional Lines
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

TBH, when I see that the Thousand Seas Pavilion lounge has a beach resort complete with NPCs in their swimwears, I SEE LIGHT at the end of a very long and dark tunnel 🌈

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Why make such an overly complicated system?  IF (big IF) they want to add swimwear,which they do not seem interested in doing, the obvious and easy choice would be outfits. 

The fact that I can put on diving goggles on a cliff and get a swimsuit shows that system already supports it.  There is no reason to try and reinvent the wheel - you just need to try and get the devs on your side. 😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's not complicated. Give us swim-themed armor pieces. Make a bunch of them with different styles and themes to appeal to a wider audience. No need for special restrictions or tiptoeing; they are literally just clothes. If you are interested in seeing swimwear offered in GuildWars2, consider joining the forum-based beach party here in this thread.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Or maybe a very simple alternative if it can be done, give us a special set of dyes that can only be used on the default undies. It would be good enough for me. And I don't care how much it costs, 2k, 3 k gems? I'll buy them all. I hate yellow 😒

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Just now, Tukaram.8256 said:

Why make such an overly complicated system?  IF (big IF) they want to add swimwear,which they do not seem interested in doing, the obvious and easy choice would be outfits. 

The fact that I can put on diving goggles on a cliff and get a swimsuit shows that system already supports it.  There is no reason to try and reinvent the wheel - you just need to try and get the devs on your side. 😎

I answered that at the end of the post, there are two possibilities: 

1- Anet does want to add swimsuits but they don't want people running around in epic PvE battles wearing swimsuits, so they won't add it as an outfit, I personally think this is the likely answer.

2- Anet doesn't want GW2 to have swimsuits, I personally think this is unlikely because many NPCs have them, especially now that Thousand Seas Pavilion got added, making this assumption a very odd one.

This WHOLE post assumes that the issue with swimsuit is the first possibility, which is what would make this a practical solution.

• Confused 2
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

It's not complicated. Give us swim-themed armor pieces. Make a bunch of them with different styles and themes to appeal to a wider audience. No need for special restrictions or tiptoeing; they are literally just clothes. If you are interested in seeing swimwear offered in GuildWars2, consider joining the forum-based beach party here in this thread.

Again(Look at my reply above), this whole post is based on the assumption that Anet doesn't want to add swimsuits as armor skins or outfits, otherwise they would have done so already in the past 10 years. This is what I think makes sense, they had years of free time to add something like this but there seems to be something stopping them. This is JUST an idea for a solution to what I assume is the problem.

That's why I don't truly believe that asking for swimsuits as armor pieces or outfits is going to help.

EDIT: It seems like a few people are confused as to why this discussion even exists, let me put it in simple words, at least as simple as it can be:

Anet, 10 years, no swimwear, reason? Possible answer+solution! :inserthappyfaceshere:

Edited by Albie.5284
  • Confused 2

I applaud the creativity but unequipping isn't always feasible.  Besides the tediousness of doing it, and maybe forgetting to restore it before getting in combat, and needing bag space, my understanding is that legendary armor loses its stats and upgrades when removed and all that has to be manually re-entered.  This is absolutely prohibitive.  I only have two legendaries (HOPE and Pharus) and have already cursed myself for accidentally removing HOPE from an alt.  Multiply that by 10 items?  No thanks.

I would suggest instead -- if this system were at all to be implemented instead of outfits -- that there should be an Attire tab along with the Equipment tabs, and swapping to it strips off stats as you suggest (assuming ANet does have a vested interest in not allowing swimsuited combatants).  Your armor remains intact and you can return to it with the press of a key while out of combat.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Donari.5237 said:

I applaud the creativity but unequipping isn't always feasible.  Besides the tediousness of doing it, and maybe forgetting to restore it before getting in combat, and needing bag space, my understanding is that legendary armor loses its stats and upgrades when removed and all that has to be manually re-entered.  This is absolutely prohibitive.  I only have two legendaries (HOPE and Pharus) and have already cursed myself for accidentally removing HOPE from an alt.  Multiply that by 10 items?  No thanks.

I would suggest instead -- if this system were at all to be implemented instead of outfits -- that there should be an Attire tab along with the Equipment tabs, and swapping to it strips off stats as you suggest (assuming ANet does have a vested interest in not allowing swimsuited combatants).  Your armor remains intact and you can return to it with the press of a key while out of combat.

That's a very good point, I didn't know legendaries did that when you unequipped them, fault's on me for not doing the research.

What I was mainly focusing on is a deterrence to prevent people from using these skins during open world combat, which is of course based on the assumption that it's the reason no swimsuits ever got added to the game.

Your suggestion's pretty good, though the main worry is people calling this Town Clothing 2.0, which would make it redundant and undermine the whole idea.

Redundant?  Hardly!  Much as I adore the Wardrobe system, I feel the loss of the Town Clothes keenly to this very day.  The tonics didn't replace them thanks to shoving riding pants and boots on everything (I want my sleeveless hoodie with slacks and basic shoes back, darn it) and slapping on horrible dye channel choices to really wreck the look.  They should give us Town Clothes 2.0.  There are far too few Outfits suitable for casual wear.  This Attires idea could solve that.

Of course, there is a problem with implementation:  This would essentially be a tab of armor skins.  They already can't make armors nearly as prolifically as outfits thanks to all the work needed to deal with the three different rigs and fit multiple races.  It would take a long time to build up a library of available looks, if they were even willing to start.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Albie.5284 said:

That's a very good point, I didn't know legendaries did that when you unequipped them, fault's on me for not doing the research.

It's not your fault, it was an inexplicable design decision that will never make sense introduced with the armory . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 hours ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Having to unequip gear to apply customization is not a good design.

It would be more practical if swimwear customization was a Makeover kit customization, like accessory customization, or if it had its own slots like outfits.

The main idea is that you lose a chunk of your defense when equipping these skins, to deter players from wearing it in combat, because that's what Anet implied to be the reason that they never added them.

So basically yeah, anything can work if it's revolved around the idea of 'Wearing this disadvantages you in combat'.

• Confused 2
4 hours ago, Albie.5284 said:

The main idea is that you lose a chunk of your defense when equipping these skins, to deter players from wearing it in combat, because that's what Anet implied to be the reason that they never added them.

Do you have a source for that?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Do you have a source for that?

Probably not a good idea to mention it, but there used to be a few codes that were labelled as swimsuits, it seemed like they were working on putting these skins in the gemstore, yet they always stop right at the end. I can't give you a direct comment from an employee, but digging just below the surface makes it clear that there isn't much stopping Anet from selling those skins that they finished making. Them turning around and deciding not to make it makes it easy to theorize the implications, if that's not one of their reasons then it makes no sense for them to fight this hard against it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
1 minute ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Seems like it would be a lot easier to add a location check to the skin, and only make it wearable in certain areas. 😎

That sorta defeats the purpose of customization, they could easily add different varieties of outfits that you pick from in say like... when you visit the changing tent in Labyrinthine Cliffs, this one:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Changing_Tent

Currently it just takes off all your weapons and armor when you interact with it.

Though I doubt that's actually what people would want, since it's not something that you design as a player, and complicating it further just won't become worth it.

The "Pay for non-game affecting customization" practice is what would make this desirable, though location limiting probably crosses the line.

Think of this like mount skins, you can change and customize them with dyes and all that and you can ride your mount any time you want, but you won't be able to bother people with obnoxious and blinding mount skins in PvE areas because you'll get dismounted(Unless it's a siege turtle) 2 seconds into combat. Yet people still buy mount skins. Same should apply here, a new category of skins that gives people the ability to customize, though because many people would hate seeing this new category of skins in PvE or combat areas, then it would be better for Anet to let players freely use these skins but make wearing them a disadvantage in combat(Because a Hawaiian shirt doesn't really protect you from dragons).

I agree that it would be -easier- to just make it so if you interact with diving goggles or changing tent you can choose what you actually want to wear, but it would be more practical for Anet to make profit off of selling a new category of skins on the Gemstore. The balance there works.

• Confused 1
21 hours ago, Mil.3562 said:

Or maybe a very simple alternative if it can be done, give us a special set of dyes that can only be used on the default undies. It would be good enough for me. And I don't care how much it costs, 2k, 3 k gems? I'll buy them all. I hate yellow 😒

See, this is something I can agree on, I'd love to get the exact same as the current default undies, but black, or maybe a dark blue.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For a really simple solution, why not just tonics (sunscreen)? They already have everything they need to implement swimwear including custom actions if you want to throw in things like a beach chair or umbrella. The only downside I can see is lack of customization. If we're going down that route, might as well look at bringing back some form of town clothes.

• Like 1
On 4/8/2022 at 11:36 PM, Albie.5284 said:

Probably not a good idea to mention it, but there used to be a few codes that were labelled as swimsuits, it seemed like they were working on putting these skins in the gemstore, yet they always stop right at the end. I can't give you a direct comment from an employee, but digging just below the surface makes it clear that there isn't much stopping Anet from selling those skins that they finished making. Them turning around and deciding not to make it makes it easy to theorize the implications, if that's not one of their reasons then it makes no sense for them to fight this hard against it.

I think you might be reading too much into it. There's been a lot of skins and other things which were created but never released. The one I remember is the Paper-Bag Helm pack, which looks like it was set to be a gem store item back in 2013 but was never actually released. There's also a few minis, starting with the Mini Snake before launch and most recently (and I think still unconfirmed) the Mini Kirin.

I assume there's a reason these things weren't released, but if it was some kind of fundamental objection to the idea I doubt it would have gotten that far. An artist would have drawn a swimsuit and been told "no, that's not appropriate for this game" and we'd never know it was even considered.

• Like 2