Spellbreaker should be a resolution spammer

Zekent.3652

3 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Actually it should be the strongest boonrip (without absorption sigil and without boonrip being shut down by stab), that would be enough to buff it. Its why you play spb over core after all.

Honestly, both, that's what an anti wizard should do.

• Like 2

The problem with a boon rip character is traits that increase armor stats and doesn't just apply a boon.

For an example twin fangs on thief.

I really think they could add resistance (if fighting a mace wielder) and stability so that fighting another spellbreaker wouldn't be a clunk fest

Edited by Infinity.2876

7 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

I really think they could add resistance so that fighting another spellbreaker wouldn't be a clunk fest

Resistance would help for the mirror? Sounds weird, immobilize is the only relevant condi you put on as spb.

Wouldnt call it clunky, its waiting for the right moment, spacing and knowing what you can punish. As opposed to having to deal with ability spam / rotation as done by most professions. 2 good spbs can duel for 1-2 min without landing significant dmg and then one just drops to a very well executed burst.

Edited by Hotride.2187

On 4/9/2022 at 3:45 AM, Zizekent.2398 said:

How? it's on you devs, there's a lof of suggests about that, you probably read them already, or not.

Need to take a step back. Question isn't how, it's why. Even if you believe SpB is the 'anti-wizard' (whatever that is), applying that label clearly isn't enough of a reason to allow SpB to spam Resolution. Being "anti-wizard" has little to do with spamming a boon to affect yourself.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

On 4/9/2022 at 4:13 AM, Hotride.2187 said:

Actually it should be the strongest boonrip (without absorption sigil and without boonrip being shut down by stab), that would be enough to buff it. Its why you play spb over core after all.

Agree here.  If Anet thought WoD was 'too strong', then they should add additional boon strips to SpB dagger skills.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Need to take a step back. Question isn't how, it's why. Even if you believe SpB is the 'anti-wizard' (whatever that is), applying that label clearly isn't enough of a reason to allow SpB to spam Resolution. Being "anti-wizard" has little to do with spamming a boon to affect yourself.

Because anti-wizard = literally someone that especializes on fighting wizards?

An anti wizard needs resources that makes them strong against wizards, magic users, like condi dmg reduction and interrupts, come on Obtena.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RiyazGuerra.9203 said:

Agree here.  If Anet thought WoD was 'too strong', then they should add additional boon strips to SpB dagger skills.

All they had to do was literally give anything boon ripping related. Literally add anything related to what was taken away. That would be actual "balancing". It was such a narrow minded approach what the they did to WoD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Perhaps the last strike of the Dagger AA chain should strip a boon. Dagger 5 stripping boons per hit (make it a 1/4s interval per target) would breathe a great deal of life into the skill.

I think the main issue isn't dagger but the lack of ranged boon strip.

The warrior and consequently the spellbreak focus on it's immediate proximity for most of it's skills. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad but it leave the warrior weak in fight where he find himself away from it's targets. Meanwhile, it's direct competitions in boon hate offer a lot of 900 range lingering aoe boon strip. Thus the spellbreaker is the area denial while it's competitions can flexibly create multiple area denial within a wider reach. In the end, it's obvious which one is better.

I believe that what the spellbreaker need is:

- To have a skill that daze on both Longbow and Rifle.

- A 900 range main hand weapon to pair with mace Off-Hand. (Well, I guess this one is impossible)

- Break enchantment becoming a 900-1200 range boon strip skill instead of being a 360 radius melee skill.

- Maybe a stun, a daze or a knockdown on throw bolas.

- A "short" CD single target shout that taunt as elite shout. (granted that the boon removal on disable is extended to both fear and taunt)

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I think the main issue isn't dagger but the lack of ranged boon strip.

The warrior and consequently the spellbreak focus on it's immediate proximity for most of it's skills. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad but it leave the warrior weak in fight where he find himself away from it's targets. Meanwhile, it's direct competitions in boon hate offer a lot of 900 range lingering aoe boon strip. Thus the spellbreaker is the area denial while it's competitions can flexibly create multiple area denial within a wider reach. In the end, it's obvious which one is better.

I believe that what the spellbreaker need is:

- To have a skill that daze on both Longbow and Rifle.

- A 900 range main hand weapon to pair with mace Off-Hand. (Well, I guess this one is impossible)

- Break enchantment becoming a 900-1200 range boon strip skill instead of being a 360 radius melee skill.

- Maybe a stun, a daze or a knockdown on throw bolas.

- A "short" CD single target shout that taunt as elite shout. (granted that the boon removal on disable is extended to both fear and taunt)

One thing that I've pushed for on Dagger OH is for Dagger 5 to become a ranged ground targeted AoE at 1200 range. I still think that needs to happen.

I can see LB3 becoming a daze. Fifle would have to be brutal shot, but then with no escape Rifle would become a single target immob spam and I do not think Anet wants that.

Throw Bolas becoming a knockdown would be more thematic, but I would do that via a Peak Performance rework that adds effects to Physical skills.

BE gaining more range would be cool, but 600 radius seems more likely.

An elite Shout would be great, but I'd prefer it to be more support focused with Protection, Resolution, and/or Resistance.

11 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Because anti-wizard = literally someone that especializes on fighting wizards?

An anti wizard needs resources that makes them strong against wizards, magic users, like condi dmg reduction and interrupts, come on Obtena.

Again, the label doesn't justify giving SpB the ability to spam Resolution. Personally, I would like to see an expansion of the boon strip capability or improvement of the boon stripping to other effects, like possibility to convert or steal. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, these labels don't justify spamming Resolution. Personally, I would like to see a better usage of the boon strip mechanic.

11 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

An anti wizard needs resources that makes them strong against wizards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

OK that's nice.

Spamming Resolution isn't the only way to make them strong against 'wizards' ... whatever those are in this game.

Spamming Resolution doesn't fix any issue SpB has and it doesn't enhance it's ability to do the things it does.

Resolution doesn't even figure prominently in the SpB toolset in the first place

Spamming Resolution is also a bad idea for lots of reasons that I'm simply not going to argue with you about. 

Best you listen to the people commenting on the thread about OTHER ideas for improving SpB here. They are on the right track. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Perhaps the last strike of the Dagger AA chain should strip a boon. Dagger 5 stripping boons per hit (make it a 1/4s interval per target) would breathe a great deal of life into the skill.

Haha if dagger 5 was a boon rip for every hit, every m'fn SpB would be sporting dagger offhand. I endorse this change.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

OH dagger needs something. Mass AoE boon rip on a moderate CD would do it.

If Anet feels innate weapon boonrip is 'OP' (I don't but they're in control here) then they could always rework the nerfed offhand bonus for Sun and Moon Style.  They could also buff the main hand bonus considering the boon spam is so prevalent.  

Major Master:

Sun and Moon Style:

Gain bonuses for each dagger you equip:

Main hand—Strike damage is increased versus foes with few or no boons.  2 boons: +10%,  1 boon +12%, 0 boons +15%.
Off Hand—Every strike from your offhand dagger skills rips boons.  1/4s interval per target.

Edited by RiyazGuerra.9203
  • Like 1

Just now, RiyazGuerra.9203 said:

If Anet feels innate weapon boonrip is 'OP' (I don't but they're in control here) then they could always rework the nerfed offhand bonus for Sun and Moon Style.  They could also buff the main hand bonus considering the boon spam is so prevalent.  

Major Master:

Sun and Moon Style:

Gain bonuses for each dagger you equip:

Main hand—Strike damage is increased versus foes with few or no boons.  2 boons: +10,  1 boon +12%, 0 boons +15%.
Off Hand—Every strike from your offhand dagger skills rips boons.  1/4s interval per target.

That would work too. Nice suggestion. Now if only Anet would actually listen...

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Spamming Resolution isn't the only way to make them strong against 'wizards' ... whatever those are in this game.

Off main topic, but if you're trying to lead into saying wizards don't exist in Gw2, or wizard isn't a used label in Tyria . SAB has a 'Storm Wizard.' and Garenhoff in Kessex Hills has something specifically called "The Wizard's Tower". Wizards are spellcasters/sorcerers, practitioners of magic, plain and simple.  Throwing resolution on things like Revenge Counter, Featherfoot's Grace, and Healing Signet would be compensating those utilities/trait that so happened to have been hammered by the resistance change. Which is still a overall nerf from the original version of those utilties/traits. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

Off main topic, but if you're trying to lead into saying wizards don't exist in Gw2, or wizard isn't a used label in Tyria . SAB has a 'Storm Wizard.' and Garenhoff in Kessex Hills has something specifically called "The Wizard's Tower". Wizards are spellcasters/sorcerers, practitioners of magic, plain and simple.  Throwing resolution on things like Revenge Counter, Featherfoot's Grace, and Healing Signet would be compensating those utilities/trait that so happened to have been hammered by the resistance change. Which is still a overall nerf from the original version of those utilties/traits. 

Being able to 'spam resolution' is not a direction that is going to make SpB become a spec that people will play more because of things that are labels 'wizards' existing in the game. I don't think I'm alone in that view if you look at the other suggestions in the thread. At the end of the day, people are looking for practical improvements ... and it's pretty hard to see how spamming resolution would at all be practical on a SpB.  Even in the best case scenario of adding it on dagger AA chain ... it's still an unlikely and marginally effective feature to have. 

There is no question that there is value and bandwidth in the spec to improve boon ripping. There is lots of questions around the value and bandwidth in the spec to 'spam resolution'. Spamming resolution is just a kneejerk reaction to the to nerfs SpB has suffered. 

I'm personally a fan of one of the suggestions to increase the versatility of boon ripping with increased distance or multiple targets. At least that kind of suggestion is inline with what the SpB already does and can be seriously considered. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

In addition to boon strip, things that would specifically counter “caster” themed specs would be the ability to clear Mesmer clones (namely by giving full counter just enough damage to kill them without going overboard on damage), condition transfer (send back the casters conditions, namely by reworking revenge counter), reveal (already have), and lockdown (already have, reworking hammer to be viable focusing on pulls and damage would be a nice addition to warrior in general).