Can I Use ArcDPS & Radial Add-ons?

I was away for some time, but now getting back with the game! I do play PvP and some PvE, along with looking forward into WvW. 

Can I use ArcDPS & Radial Add-ons? ArcDPS is damage and healing meter and Radial is for switching fast between my mounts.

Best

Onlyflameone

Edited by Onlyflameone.2136

I'm not a lawyer. The terms and rules are complicated. To be sure, ask legal advise.

Here is what I can extract with the knowledge of a fellow player:

1. There isn't a list of allowed add-ons for legal reasons. For example: What if ArenaNet put Radial Mount Menu on an allow list and then some hacker puts malicious code in the update?
  2. Usage of add-ons is always at your own risk. Add-ons may crash your game or cause instability. It also may violate some official terms.
  3. Before installing any add-on you should ask yourself if it gives an unfair advantage or if it automates gameplay. If you can answer that with yes, don't install it. If you can answer that question with no, use at your own risk.
  4. For the formal rules, read the legal terms of NCSoft:

https://us.ncsoft.com/en-us/legal

https://us.ncsoft.com/en-us/legal/ncsoft/user-agreement

2.1.3 Prohibited Third-Party Programs. 

We do not permit the use of any third-party software, tools, or programs that interact with the Services that give one player an unintended, unnatural, or unfair advantage over another player. Such prohibited third-party software, tools, or programs include those that alter Game-balance in favor of one player over another, automate actions within the Services, promote unattended gameplay, or have an adverse effect on other users of the Services. Prohibited third-party programs will be determined at our sole discretion.

3 YOUR CONDUCT

1. 3.1 Prohibited Conduct. 

Use good judgment when accessing the Services (e.g., don’t cheat, don’t exploit bugs, don’t violate laws, etc.). For a list of specifically prohibited conduct, please see Section 3.1 of the User Agreement and any other Community Standards we make publicly available. Note that we can take whatever steps we deem appropriate to remediate violations of the Rules of Conduct (including any Community Standards).

If you violate the prohibitions described in this Section or any of our Community Standards (collectively, the “Rules of Conduct”), then we may, in our reasonable discretion, provide you with a warning, penalties and, in certain cases, terminate your Account under Section 1.7.1 or limited rights to Use the Services. You may not do any of the following without signed written consent from a legally authorized representative of NCSOFT:

1. Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Services designed to automate, modify, or display information regarding operation or function of the Services.
    2. Knowingly affect the Services through any hardware or software or by imposing an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Services.
    3. Use, obtain, or provide data related to the operation of the Services, including, but not limited to, software that reads areas of computer memory or storage devices; intercepts or otherwise collects data; or redirects, creates, maintains, or emulates the Services.

This would make the use of ArcDPS illegal, as it reads data from the game, and collects data from the game.

https://us.ncsoft.com/en-us/legal/ncsoft/code-of-conduct

You may not use any third-party program (such as a "bot") to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering items within our Games. You may not assist, relay, or store items for other players who are using these processes."

Interesting thing is that making add-ons for NCSOFT games is not allowed.

https://us.ncsoft.com/en-us/legal/ncsoft/content-terms-of-use

"Can I make add-ons for NCSOFT games?

No."

This means that the publishers of add-ons are breaking the rules, but the players may not be, as long as the add-ons are not breaking any other terms.

Having said that, tools like ArcDPS, Radial mount menu, YoloMouse and GW2Launcher have been used for years by many players without problems. And if players were banned while using them it is most likely for other reasons than just these add-ons.

But don't contact support if your game crashed and you use an add-on. First remove the add-on and see if it still crashes, because ArcDPS and Radial mount menu are know to crash the game after major game updates.

Safest option is to not use any add-ons.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 1