Percussive Maintenance - Catch Amber Trout

Valisha.8650

Can we please have this thing removed? It's not in any way skill based, it doesn't require any interaction with metas or the game world. What it does is literally make you waste time hoping to catch this one, arbitrarily picked fish, praying to rng gods that you will get THIS ONE PARTICULAR FISH. How on earth is this fun in any way? Literally feels like "play the slot machine until you get a certain result", which causes a dull gameplay. If you wanted to introduce people to fishing through this collection, you could have simply made it "Catch 10/20/30 lake fish in Echovald Wilds" Sure, it would be resembling one of those "kill 15 wolves" quests, but at least it wouldn't involve the infuriating RNG and uncertainty. It is an ascended mace, not a legendary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Having spent hours to catch the fish required for all 9 EOD specs' collections, I can say that it is doable. RNG is rough but it is possible.
Make sure you follow the Fishing Power guideline as well as the time of day (it must be daytime ingame, not necessarily in the real world).
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Amber_Trout

28 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Having spent hours to catch the fish required for all 9 EOD specs' collections, I can say that it is doable. RNG is rough but it is possible.
Make sure you follow the Fishing Power guideline as well as the time of day (it must be daytime ingame, not necessarily in the real world).

I agree it is doable. I just don't think something like that should be part of the collection. I just don't see how having to spend a large time trying to catch THIS ONE particular fish, being entirely dependent on rng, is any fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Valisha.8650 said:

I agree it is doable. I just don't think something like that should be part of the collection. I just don't see how having to spend a large time trying to catch THIS ONE particular fish, being entirely dependent on rng, is any fun.

To be honest the main problem with the Amber Trout is that you can get it only during the Tyria daytime, if you try to fish for it during the Tyria nights it's impossible.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

"Doable" and "fun, engaging content" are two entirely different things.

At least the 'kill enemies of a particular type' or 'harvest a particular node' parts usually only take a few dozen, and employ the core gameplay loop. Catching a specific fish can take dozens of fishing holes, and 'keep the bar in the box' ain't exactly the most engaging minigame in MMO history. I'm already bored of it.

• Thanks 4

Isn't a huge part of the game "gambling"?  Every drop, every chest, every flush, etc. I agree tedious crap is tedious crap but welcome to MMORPGs. I do not like that aspect but it also adds to the game as well. In RL "things happen" and you can't control them. They are "dice rolls". So, I suppose in a way, such is the game. Sometimes perceived randomness is better than mundane constants.

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

"Doable" and "fun, engaging content" are two entirely different things.

At least the 'kill enemies of a particular type' or 'harvest a particular node' parts usually only take a few dozen, and employ the core gameplay loop. Catching a specific fish can take dozens of fishing holes, and 'keep the bar in the box' ain't exactly the most engaging minigame in MMO history. I'm already bored of it.

The answer is not to remove this part but to put an alternative way to ensure other people don't end up fishing for hours to complete it. Maybe add a pity counter of sorts similar to the RNG gift boxes and BL chests, after 10 fish you should be able to get it if you are in the right fishing hole and time of day. I fished for at least 70 times before getting the one for dichotomy...

Edit: to be clear I hate fishing, but I'm just sick of people asking for content to be removed just because they can't do it for whatever reason (patience/ability/skill). Percussive Maintenance had about the same completion rate as other specialization collections, so it isn't anything special and if anything the fish that is needed is more forgiving since it's not dependent on time day.

Edited by Infusion.7149

Alright, let's start this anew then.

Even though fun is apparently forbidden here, to ask in the forums for something to be done about a fish that you'll eventually get along with a bunch of other pieces of loot and then completely forget about is a bit on the excessive side, and besides it is a piece of ascended gear with a unique skin on it. I'm wasting my time almost each day at Teq and Triple Trouble and I'm not going to be angry and upset at the severe lack of ascended boxes during the entire year.

If you value your time that much then playing games might not be a good idea to begin with, but you do you. Hope a change is done for you I guess, that or you finding the Amber Trout.

Edited by MrForz.1953
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

literally did this fish last night took me 3  fishing cast's in 1 spot, the other weapon collections for eod specs i have done took 1-2hrs. you just gotta deal with it. if you don't like fishing like me just grin and bear it instead of  crying on forum? only ones i didn't finish yet are revenant/ranger, if u want the weapon skin put in the time it's not even hard.

• Confused 1