Exponential experience gains for new players?

Good evening. 

Reporting a bug per conversation with GM Rush. 

I bought GW2 many years ago but did not get a chance to play. My wife and I were looking for a game to play and thought it would be good to kick off a GW2 session. I had an existing character around level 30 that I ultimately deleted just to start on level playing field with my wife's character. 

We both started as Norns, she was an Elementalist and I was a Necromancer. 

We were running around the starting area doing the exact same quests, Raven, Snow Wolves, stopping the stampede, etc. By the time we finished our session she was level 11 and I was level 6.

We were thinking maybe she had some kind of temporary booster but when we logged in today she was still getting exponentially more experience than me even though I had gotten my Necromancer to level 9 and we were basically in the same area.

After this, we thought it was a character issue so we both made Charras and the exact same thing happened, we come out of the creation screen, smack the first mob we find and she gets 45 exp plus a booster and I got 15.

Oddly enough I created a completely new account with a Charra and smacked the first mob I saw and got 35 experience. 

She created a new account with a Charra and smacked the first mob and got 45 experience with a booster. 

Seeing this we ended up replaying Norns on the accounts she made and were level 12 in no time. This super fast progression that she is getting is making it difficult to journey together and we don't want to fly through the game and water down our experience. Any ideas on how to turn off this buff would be greatly appreciated. 

9 hours ago, Grubbs.3069 said:

Seeing this we ended up replaying Norns on the accounts she made and were level 12 in no time. This super fast progression that she is getting is making it difficult to journey together and we don't want to fly through the game and water down our experience

Anet has confirmed that they are (don't know how often) A/B-testing the "new player experience" and such in the live-system. This means: They make small changes in a detail and then both versions (unchanged version A and changed version B) exist at the same time in the live game and account/player 1 "sees" version A and account/player 2  "sees" version B.

I don't know if this happened to you and your wife but it could be an explanation.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Anet has confirmed that they are (don't know how often) A/B-testing the "new player experience" and such in the live-system. This means: They make small changes in a detail and then both versions (unchanged version A and changed version B) exist at the same time in the live game and account/player 1 "sees" version A and account/player 2  "sees" version B.

I don't know if this happened to you and your wife but it could be an explanation.

I totally believe you, and this would account for what we are seeing, however when we submitted a ticket to the GMs they were unaware of such a thing. That said, our desired resolution would be to get her off the unchanged version if possible and am looking for support from the staff to achieve that outcome. 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:17 AM, Grubbs.3069 said:

Paid account gets 15exp for killing the mob.

Free account gets 45exp + exploration bonus for killing the mob.

It seems that at the moment many/most(?) new F2P accounts, at least here in the EU region, have their XP rate changed to 300%. Even if you don't level in a party, it pretty much screws around with the flow of exploration and leveling through zones.

Personally I really hope that we see discounted game licenses soon again... It's basically an invitation to game the system right now. :classic_cool:

• Confused 1