Reworking runes and sigils for more variety

If Gw2 is going down the boon bonanza route (which it most definitely has), we should get more runes and sigils to help apply essential boons. Might and fury are 100% mandatory on every build, even for solo open world pve. Some classes can maintain them without even thinking, while others struggle even when taking boon duration gear and sub-optimal traitlines. There are only a few options for gaining might and fury from runes, and only 3 sigil options for might and 0 for fury. There are hundreds of runes and sigils available to us, its kind of boring how similar so many of them are and how every open world build uses the same few choices.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

If Gw2 is going down the boon bonanza route (which it most definitely has), we should get more runes and sigils to help apply essential boons. Might and fury are 100% mandatory on every build, even for solo open world pve. Some classes can maintain them without even thinking, while others struggle even when taking boon duration gear and sub-optimal traitlines. There are only a few options for gaining might and fury from runes, and only 3 sigil options for might and 0 for fury. There are hundreds of runes and sigils available to us, its kind of boring how similar so many of them are and how every open world build uses the same few choices.

The devs already reworked runes and sigils in 2018. There is a ton of variety. Get creative. You don’t need to min/max all the time. Have fun trying different builds. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/november-13-salvage-runes-and-sigils/

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

For open world, you can use whatever you want. 

For raids, there will always be the most optimised build, and it will always use one rune set  o matter how many variety there is.

And WvW already uses tons of different runes, not all runes are meant for PvE.

PvP works differently.

So, you already have what you're asking for.

The only thing that would be nice is EoD runes and sigils. Just one set if nothing else. We got new stat combos, why not a rune set?

• Confused 3

Let's post some spit-ball ideas! Just, free association, first ideas, go!

Superior Rune of the Bladesworn
1. +25 Ferocity
2. +35 Power
3. +50 Ferocity
4. +65 Power
5. +100 Ferocity
6. Gain +50% Critical Chance when using a self-rooting skill. 10s cooldown.

Superior Rune of the Catalyst
1. +8 to All Stats
2. +5% Boon Duration
3. +12 to All Stats
4. +10% Boon Duration
5. +16 to All Stats
6. +18 to All Stats; +0.5% strike and condition damage per boon on you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Let's post some spit-ball ideas! Just, free association, first ideas, go!

Superior Rune of the Bladesworn
1. +25 Ferocity
2. +35 Power
3. +50 Ferocity
4. +65 Power
5. +100 Ferocity
6. Gain +50% Critical Chance when using a self-rooting skill. 10s cooldown.

Change the 6th bonus to: Using an ammunition skill grants protection for 1s to allies in the area (600 range). 

• Haha 2

I wish the back items and amulets got a rune slot. And that new rune sets came out that were not all 6-piece sets. To give people room to mix up rune combos for more build variety. The game needs more freedom to make builds so that it's more attractive to go out and hunt for things. What point is there in having more rune sets if we only use one set on a character? 

So, what could happen is that the lesser used rune sets get reworked to have effects on fewer total pieces. The back items and amulets get an upgrade slot. New effects that are geared towards modifying skill types instead of passive overall role boosters (so that new rune sets are not just competing to be overall parse increases to existing sets). I'd get excited over something like that.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

For open world, you can use whatever you want. 

For raids, there will always be the most optimised build, and it will always use one rune set  o matter how many variety there is.

And WvW already uses tons of different runes, not all runes are meant for PvE.

PvP works differently.

So, you already have what you're asking for.

The only thing that would be nice is EoD runes and sigils. Just one set if nothing else. We got new stat combos, why not a rune set?

You can still have optimized builds for open world. Like sure I can make staff elementalist work but its not going to be a good time.

Almost every open world build should use strength sigil on both weapon sets. And for runes you have pack, scholar, eagle, nightmare, or your 1 choice for specific condi duration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

You can still have optimized builds for open world. Like sure I can make staff elementalist work but its not going to be a good time.

Almost every open world build should use strength sigil on both weapon sets. And for runes you have pack, scholar, eagle, nightmare, or your 1 choice for specific condi duration.

Today I learned I'm not having a good time on any of my elementalists. I thought for years I'd been having fun with them, but clearly I was wrong. Shows what I know.

(I do actually use alternative weapon sets for each - double daggers for my tempest and sword/focus for my weaver - I'm sure those are wrong too, but again I find them fun.)

Yes open world builds can be optimised. But it's not necessary and if someone doesn't enjoy using someone else's optimal build there's no need for them to run it. Yes the might kill things half a second sooner, but if it doesn't matter and they find it dull why bother?

For me it depends. I made a special build for the Dragon's End meta which I actually find pretty boring, but it's more useful to the group than my normal builds and in that case succeeding is more important to me than having fun pushing buttons, so I compromise. But I switch back as soon as I'm doing anything else.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Why wouldn't you have a good time if you csn make a staff elementalist work?

Maybe change the profession or elite then I guess...

I never used a strength sigil in my life I think, Scholar is too expensive for me, nightmare is ony raiding character and I think I bought like some celestial with boon duration for my open world build and I'm having tons of fun. 

I don't even know what sigils I have honestly.

Still. Having tons of fun, no problem.

So if you're not having fun on your staff elementalist thay you yourself said you made work (so, I assume you're not dying and can kill stuff), then maybe it's not for you. Try something different. 

Today I learned my Berserker's/Assassin's Untamed with Ranger runes and Force/Accuracy sigils is unfun. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

It is great in some builds. Not because of the lack of might but because it provided both offense and defense.

I'll check it out. 🙂

Most of my open world builds are some condi or hybrid or something focusing on a specific thing. 

So I don't really use all the meta stuff that much (which is good for my wallet lol). 

9 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

on topic for an alternative for getting that "I am unique and special!" feeling OP wants to achieve

Please explain how having more variety for fury and might in open world content is me thinking "I am unique and special".

38 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Why wouldn't you have a good time if you csn make a staff elementalist work?

It takes 2x as long to kill things and you lose most of your dps if the target moves at all. Yes I know you can play whatever you want, but why are some builds half as effective because of the lack of boons? Adding more sources of might and fury to runes and sigils wouldnt change the instanced pve meta because you have boon supports that can already do that. It would just make more builds viable in open world and wvw.

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Yes the might kill things half a second sooner, but if it doesn't matter and they find it dull why bother?

Today I learned that everyone is a noob for wanting might because it just lets them kill things half a second sooner.

38 minutes ago, Diak Atoli.2085 said:

Today I learned my Berserker's/Assassin's Untamed with Ranger runes and Force/Accuracy sigils is unfun. Who knew?

Thats great? No one is forcing you to use other things. Having more variety wont change that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

I personally wish we would ban infusions other than magic find agony resistance etc. More runes and re working sigils would be nice

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Please explain how having more variety for fury and might in open world content is me thinking "I am unique and special".

3 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

its kind of boring how similar so many of them are and how every open world build uses the same few choices.

• Confused 3

I am okay with leaving the existing runes in favor of adding new EoD eSpec runes. That the last expansion didn’t add either was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps with the summer profession update we may see these new runes added. 

As for the idea of adding more boons to runes, I am okay that there are a variety of different runes that empower different builds. Not everything needs to be top tier as there are a good number of B and C tier builds that are very enjoyable to play and successful in different content, even if it mostly OW PvE.

• Like 1

Thats great? No one is forcing you to use other things. Having more variety wont change that.

Except I wasn't responding to the 'We should have more variety' part of the thread. I'm fine with more variety'.

I was responding to the part of the thread where you were dictating what is and isn't 'fun', what is and isn't 'mandatory for open world's, and what players 'should' be running.