Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Is there to many flashy effects on armor, weapons, trinkets etc?


Recommended Posts

Curious what you all think? I personally am getting bored of Fashion Wars 2 and miss the original days when the only flashy item you had was your weapon and skill effects but now its almost to the point where I can barely tell what the character is unless I click on his name. Trinkets are Giant Christmas Ornaments, the armor glows are basically walking Strobe lights, the weapons are even more flashy now than ever, Thanks Aurene. Love that I can barely see the game without rainbow light bulbs running all over the place. Oh and you can change your skin tone, Mounts are flashing seizures, I mean I feel like I missed one but you get the point. PVE Meta or WVW Blobs are impossible to tell what is going on anymore and then you get this criticism that players are not as good or are not willing to learn. I would argue the opposite, they can't flat out see from all of the anxiety dancing around their screens.

 

Oh I completely forgot hair color. Glowing Asparagus running all over the map as well.... 

Edited by Legend of Rogue.5394
Glowing hair
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To each their own.  

I find it inoffensive and enjoy the creativity of players.  I am not a fan of the Lara Croft humans and norn running by in tshirts and shorts but I'm going to suggest getting rid of the attire.  I don't like the Dreamer....it's loud and hideous, but someone else loves it. 

You don't have to wear it or look at it on your character, blobs are blobs and I'm fine with the visual chaos. It really wouldn't be better with fifty dingy brown outfitted people mobbing the same thing, so why not have sparkles.  

So you don't want flashy attire, bright mounts, or changing skin tones....sounds....dull.  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the game is oversaturated with it, but there isn't really any use in complaining - that ship has sailed. 

 

I just think it's a shame that nothing is special anymore, because everything is. 

Prestige things like Fiery and Icy Dragon Swords were iconic in GW1, in GW2 you just can't have things like that because there are hundreds of skins that are twice as shiny. 

 

But that will always happen in games where cosmetic MTX's come in to play, and the ensuing endless armsrace of MTX skins with each other and prestige rewards.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of threads about this specific topic in these forums. Like the flashy effects in game, they make it hard to see other posts in the forums!!  
 

I kid but, you can always add your thoughts to an existing post rather than making the mods move this as they eventually will.   There isn’t much new to add to this topic that hasn’t been said many times before. 
 

Unless you want to talk about the new menace, those turtles blocking OW event mobs, interactable items, banners and foods. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

I do think the game is oversaturated with it, but there isn't really any use in complaining - that ship has sailed. 

 

I just think it's a shame that nothing is special anymore, because everything is. 

Prestige things like Fiery and Icy Dragon Swords were iconic in GW1, in GW2 you just can't have things like that because there are hundreds of skins that are twice as shiny. 

 

But that will always happen in games where cosmetic MTX's come in to play, and the ensuing endless armsrace of MTX skins with each other and prestige rewards.

I was thinking of that the other day, I transfered my firey dragon sword from GW1 and I LOVED having it. Like the skin showed a real veteran player that knew what they were doing and they are true heroes to this game in my opinion. EVEN gw1 didnt have all of these flashy things they had like chaos weapons (still in this game but GW1 let us dye them) even dyes had value. BLACK, White, Celestial all cost like 6 gold, ecto plasms were expensive etc. Just overall anyone can look like a christmas tree and it takes out of the overall theme. I really like the idea that specific armors you can see the individual looks of them with the details, lines art etc now a days you cant tell and the overall look is getting more boring. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

There are a lot of threads about this specific topic in these forums. Like the flashy effects in game, they make it hard to see other posts in the forums!!  
 

I kid but, you can always add your thoughts to an existing post rather than making the mods move this as they eventually will.   There isn’t much new to add to this topic that hasn’t been said many times before. 
 

Unless you want to talk about the new menace, those turtles blocking OW event mobs, interactable items, banners and foods. 

Not many people have turtles, as soon as every player in the game gets one its going to be a sad day.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a major visual issue within the GW2 game. The clarity for important vs showy is so blurred that people have to run content over and over again until they figure it out. My groups always turn off mini's, backpacks, etc, so people can see things better along with character model quality the lowest. It's almost impossible to see certain ground abilities when you have 10-50 people spamming their own 😛

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vexona.6452 said:

There's a major visual issue within the GW2 game. The clarity for important vs showy is so blurred that people have to run content over and over again until they figure it out. My groups always turn off mini's, backpacks, etc, so people can see things better along with character model quality the lowest. It's almost impossible to see certain ground abilities when you have 10-50 people spamming their own 😛

I 100% agree with this, the worst is HP trains and everyone and their dog is riding skyscale and griffon, you CANNOOTTTT see the screen to save your life

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean in WvW all I see are floating ball, this is more of a player preference, personally I like looking natural, no flash so I only use my cultural armor and norn weapons since Im a norn. Keep my mog flash free but other people you know they like infusions and stuff.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like shiny fashion if done right. The new aurene weapons are amazing. I am not bothered by the flashy skills and meta clutter either. I don’t even notice it since I see well despite it. I don’t know why, but when I see screenshots from others, my own game doesn’t look like that at all. Maybe since I zoom all the way out usually since I like to play with maximum distance view. 🤷🏼‍♀️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I like shiny fashion if done right. The new aurene weapons are amazing. I am not bothered by the flashy skills and meta clutter either. I don’t even notice it since I see well despite it. I don’t know why, but when I see screenshots from others, my own game doesn’t look like that at all. Maybe since I zoom all the way out usually since I like to play with maximum distance view. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I do that as well, I might just need to get a bigger monitor, maybe a 4k or 1440P 32 inch screen perhaps that would solve it

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I like shiny fashion if done right. The new aurene weapons are amazing. I am not bothered by the flashy skills and meta clutter either. I don’t even notice it since I see well despite it. I don’t know why, but when I see screenshots from others, my own game doesn’t look like that at all. Maybe since I zoom all the way out usually since I like to play with maximum distance view. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Same, I play fully zoomed out and I don't seem to have this issue.  Also I don't need to see every skill I use actually hitting the boss...long as it's targeted and I'm in range then I'm damaging it.  Mine does not look like some giant burst of light though like others do, so I don't know.  

The new aurene weapons are quite lovely ❤️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

Curious what you all think? I personally am getting bored of Fashion Wars 2 and miss the original days when the only flashy item you had was your weapon and skill effects but now its almost to the point where I can barely tell what the character is unless I click on his name. Trinkets are Giant Christmas Ornaments, the armor glows are basically walking Strobe lights, the weapons are even more flashy now than ever, Thanks Aurene. Love that I can barely see the game without rainbow light bulbs running all over the place. Oh and you can change your skin tone, Mounts are flashing seizures, I mean I feel like I missed one but you get the point. PVE Meta or WVW Blobs are impossible to tell what is going on anymore and then you get this criticism that players are not as good or are not willing to learn. I would argue the opposite, they can't flat out see from all of the anxiety dancing around their screens.

 

Oh I completely forgot hair color. Glowing Asparagus running all over the map as well.... 

I do agree with you. While I love player expression and creativity, there has to be a line. That line should be the visual style and integrity of the lore.

Having players run around with Aurene legendaries? Makes sense, difficult to acquire, Dragon themed, perfect.

What doesn’t make sense are things like Angel wings, Demon Wings, confetti, bees, plush mounts, and just over the top glowing effects from all kinds of sources. 


At some point the visual style and themes lose their identity and GW2 has begun to look more and more like any other MMO as far as player characters are concerned. 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...