Something wrong with the Mega Server in EoD?

One of the best parts about GW2 was that even though it always sits around number 10 in the MMO populations NA, it always felt like #1 due to being able to find people in every zone no matter what due to the server tech.

I am playing through EoD for the second time on an alt....and it just feels completely empty. It literally feels like I'm playing a single player RPG. I just got to the Jade Sea and I think Ive seen less than a dozen people so far through the entire story and zones on my alt. The EoD zones are just dead empty...even bosses spawning I have been trying to solo because there's just no one around.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's honestly the first time I've ever had GW2 feel so empty.

Edited by Luclinraider.2317
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

One of the best parts about GW2 was that even though it always sits around number 10 in the MMO populations NA, it always felt like #1 due to being able to find people in every zone no matter what due to the server tech.

I am playing through EoD for the second time on an alt....and it just feels completely empty. It literally feels like I'm playing a single player RPG. I just got to the Jade Sea and I think Ive seen less than a dozen people so far through the entire story and zones on my alt. The EoD zones are just dead empty...even bosses spawning I have been trying to solo because there's just no one around.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's honestly the first time I've ever had GW2 feel so empty.

Yea the map population count is really low feels like around 60 across each map shard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

EoD maps lack stuff to do IMO, which is why they end up kind of empty. If you're not doing story mission, not preparing or doing meta event or gathering materials there isnt much to do except exploring. HoT for instance had TM and HP are champion which leads to more people gathering. PoF has bounty. EoD only has meta event. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Even during the launch of EoD you hardly saw anyone. I solo'd/gave up on on a bunch of events in Seitung (the first map!) because nobody showed up. The place was a ghost town. It was really weird because in any LW episode, nevermind a fully fledged expansion, players were prevalent. Even though ANet have upped the pop caps it still seems curiously desolate. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

It really depends on when you visit a map. Bear in mind that there are 4 new maps to explore, not including the 4 new strikes as well. In addition, the fishing achievements has spread players to all maps.

With the 4 maps, there are 5 metas (2 in Echovald). Players will be concentrated in the maps with the ongoing meta events.. So, if you're in Seitung while there's a meta happening in 1 of the other maps, it'll be pretty deserted. Or if there's a meta in Seitung, majority of the players in Seitung will be on maps where there's LFG listing the events.

Also bear in mind that even with more players online, extra maps will mean that each map will have lower populations.. Simple math example: 1 map available with 100 players online = 100 playuers on the map; 2 maps with 150 players = 75 players on each map only.

Also, with SAB and Thousand Island Pavillion right now, players will be even more spread out.

As beautiful as all the new environments are, the expansion is quite boring. The meta events don't really offer a great deal of reward for them and are basically "split into 3 groups, do this kitten and fight boss" with little variation beyond the environment (unless you have the rng crap in DE...). So pretty much why are you going to spend more time than you need to? The dailies there are even unrewarding. The only reason to spend any time there more than you have to is to get masteries and mastery experience. 

I don't like making comments like this as generally I try to see the good. And there are so many good things about the new expac, but the staying power is lacking...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

These maps felt empty on the week of release , I haven't been back to play through anything since week two. Beautiful maps with a lot of dead space and wasted potential.

I get that people want to defend Anet but the amount of people saying that it's completely normal for brand new maps to be empty of players are delusional.

Despite new strikes, metas and festivals HoT, S3, PoF, S4 and S5 maps still have lots of open world population activity and reliable event completion.

The problem is that EoD is a sub-par release and this is reflected in the fact that so many continue to manufacture controversy over criticizing a game. GW2 is a great MMO, it's not perfect but past releases have offered so much more (instances, events, skins, achievements, adventures, mounts, ect.) and that is just a fact.

Edited by standardFoe.2983
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1