Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Final stage of crafting leg armor..need advice.


Recommended Posts

I'm at the final stage to craft my first set of wvw legendary armor set.  However, after the recent nerfbat, I'm less inclined to make a decision on any class or weight.  Playing any game mode now feels lack luster.  To give some background, I liked playing  all of the light armor classes but after the nerfs..not really.  Same with the Rev/Herald.  Recently(past year), I've messed around with the medium armor classes Ranger/Engi and are ok for the most part (not really into thief).  I know engi / mech will be nerfed in the near future...so I'm kind of in a lurch. 

Currently I have ascended celestial armor for my medium and heavy classes (engi and herald) and a set of ascended marauders (med)

My light classes have ascended vipers and marauders sets.

Probably take another 3 years to craft the other two leg weight sets☹️  Will I be better off just crafting a light set and just work down the line???

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don't have a number of other stats that you are anxious to try using via the legendary armor, you could hold off on deciding until the post EoD balance patches are in place.  The amount of time it takes to acquire a set is so large you shouldn't rush into a decision you might soon regret.

If you regularly play characters with different armor weights you might consider partial sets of multiple weights.  After obtaining four pieces of light legendary armor I decided to start on medium legendary armor.  The cost of crafting or stat changing the two remaining pieces of light armor aren't that high so I can experiment and get most of the effect of a full legendary set.  I crafted two legendary runes so that I can swap and remove the runes on the non-legendary armor pieces so I don't lose expensive runes if I stat swap or whatever.  If you have got to the point of obtaining legendary armor you probably have countless chests of exotic or even ascended armor pieces that you can use for the final two pieces while you are experimenting with different stats.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thnaks you for the advice.  I'm not in any hurry.  I will wait until the next round of nerfs.  Maybe then I can narrow it down.  On a side note.  I did craft Exordium last month and working on another two leg items.  Always something in the fire!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well no one can really help you with that. For me it was no brainer for the first set. I like all 3 heavy classes in both pve and wvw. Guardian alone has so much applicability everywhere he alone is worth it. Rev is close. Or at least was, maybe less now but I doubt the class will ever be forgotten. Warrior is not really as versatile but I do play it and its nice to able to change stats on the fly and in wvw I can fiddle with some more niche specs like group shout support and such.

But you can probably write something similar for any armour weight so it really comes down to preference. I do like to have a full set so I'm done with and on to the next.  Yes, you can wait for the balance patches. Probably smart after the new expansion. But in the long run who knows how the balance will turn. And also its not hard to make an ascended set for a meta build. In pve its usually a no brainer and will stay the same for a longer period. I see the advantage more with the classes I like to experiment with. Its  actually wvw where I change it most.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EyzKold.8247 said:

Thnaks you for the advice.  I'm not in any hurry.  I will wait until the next round of nerfs.  Maybe then I can narrow it down.  On a side note.  I did craft Exordium last month and working on another two leg items.  Always something in the fire!!!

 

Try to move away from caring that much about how "strong" something is. All classes will see balance down the road. Instead you should focus on what you enjoy and have enjoyed instead of worrying about what might be.

 

Also not really sure what you mean by lackluster. Even with the recent changes, mesmer remains in a great state with all 3 elite specializations, and so does necromancer. Elementalist is the odd one out, but even here heal tempest remains good ans catalyst sees continued improvements.

 

In regards to WvW, mesmers are in the exact same spot they were before the recent patch. Necromancers are im an even better/more necessary spot with the neff to WoD. Neither did elementalists change. All 3 gained new roaming builds with their new elites.

 

If I'd have to guess: I'd say you are far to affected by subjective assumptions or what others are saying about class balance than actual in game reality. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, EyzKold.8247 said:

I'm at the final stage to craft my first set of wvw legendary armor set.  However, after the recent nerfbat, I'm less inclined to make a decision on any class or weight.  Playing any game mode now feels lack luster.  To give some background, I liked playing  all of the light armor classes but after the nerfs..not really.  Same with the Rev/Herald.  Recently(past year), I've messed around with the medium armor classes Ranger/Engi and are ok for the most part (not really into thief).  I know engi / mech will be nerfed in the near future...so I'm kind of in a lurch. 

Currently I have ascended celestial armor for my medium and heavy classes (engi and herald) and a set of ascended marauders (med)

My light classes have ascended vipers and marauders sets.

Probably take another 3 years to craft the other two leg weight sets☹️  Will I be better off just crafting a light set and just work down the line???

 

Get a coin. Label one side "craft light" and the other side "don't craft light". Throw it. Look at the side on which it lands. What is your immediate reaction ("phew" or "oh no"). If you get a strong reaction like that, it gives you a strong steer as to what, or what not, to do.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I choose medium as my first set, but for totally different reasons: medium armor classes tend to be the hardest for me to find skins that I really enjoy, so being able to skin-change them often without worrying about wasting charges was the deciding factor 🤣. Now that I have it, I also find myself experimenting with different builds for my medium classes much more, which is an added bonus to keep in mind.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Necro is a light armor class, and it'll never get nerfed, so your safest bet is to make a light armor set. 

That's what i did, but mainly for my Mesmer. Cause it's my main, and it deserves some swag. 🙂

But i found uses for Necro too, as i now play Scourge and quickness harbinger in raids once a week. 

 

But if you can - best would be to first craft trinkets and backpack, then armor, and weapons last. 

If nothing else - Aurora, Vision, Prismatic Regalia and Ad Infinitum/Warbringer. You can leave the rings and use BLood Ruby rings, one attuned, other not. And just reset them for 100 magic when you need to.

 

As for what's good - Guardian, Necromancer and Engi are Anet's pets, they're always going to be the best at multiple builds, and will actuall have multiple builds requiring multiple stat combos. So if you play any of those, that's a pretty safe bet.

 

And if not - either make one for your main like i did, and don't worry too much about how much use you'll get out of it-

Or wait. See how Anet handles classes more, etc., then decide.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Necro is a light armor class, and it'll never get nerfed, so your safest bet is to make a light armor set. 

That's what i did, but mainly for my Mesmer. Cause it's my main, and it deserves some swag. 🙂

But i found uses for Necro too, as i now play Scourge and quickness harbinger in raids once a week. 

 

But if you can - best would be to first craft trinkets and backpack, then armor, and weapons last. 

If nothing else - Aurora, Vision, Prismatic Regalia and Ad Infinitum/Warbringer. You can leave the rings and use BLood Ruby rings, one attuned, other not. And just reset them for 100 magic when you need to.

 

As for what's good - Guardian, Necromancer and Engi are Anet's pets, they're always going to be the best at multiple builds, and will actuall have multiple builds requiring multiple stat combos. So if you play any of those, that's a pretty safe bet.

 

And if not - either make one for your main like i did, and don't worry too much about how much use you'll get out of it-

Or wait. See how Anet handles classes more, etc., then decide.

What do you mean with necro never getting nerfed? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Guardian, Necromancer and Engi are Anet's pets, they're always going to be the best at multiple builds, and will actuall have multiple builds requiring multiple stat combos. So if you play any of those, that's a pretty safe bet.

I remember a time when the same was said about warriors and mesmers, and necros and engis were considered trash and kicked out of groups 😉 .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

But if you can - best would be to first craft trinkets and backpack, then armor, and weapons last. 

Hmm, personally I would disagree with you here but it may be a situational disagreement. Having had all the LS3+4 resource nodes in my home instance for a while now, I have stacks of LS mats. When I want to chill ingame I'll run a couple of alts through map completion stuff. One has a set of unbound gathering tools, the other a set of volatile ones. All of that makes getting ascended trinkets trivial for me, just a matter of jumping to the appropriate LS map/vendor. Crafting ascended armor on the other hand is a more costly process. So I went for the leggy armor first. When that's done I'll go for a backpack and then the trinkets. Oh, your comment about the blood ruby rings is excellent by the way. They are almost as good as legendaries since changing their stats is relatively easy.
 

Deciding which leggy armor to start with was easy for me. My main is a rev and I have several rev alts camped out at various farming locations. So heavy armor was the first. My second favorite alt is a necro, so light armor was the easy second choice. Atm, I have full sets of heavy and light leggy armor and have just started on my fourth piece of the medium set, all gotten through WvW. As I'm thoroughly enjoying both the mechanist and the specter, I'll be really glad to get the full medium set.

Oh, and leggy weapons I buy as I save up the gold for the next one I want. That speeds up the process of acquiring leggies quite a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

What do you mean with necro never getting nerfed? 

It's been pretty stably overpowered for a while now, and they keep adding more and more utility and possible builds to it. It can be really op power DPS, Condi DPS, perma quickness, heal barrier (one of the most broken in game), vacuum barier, and its Low intensity build does 24k with 1 button, which is way more than other LI builds. 

 

It's safe to say that, if OP is looking on who to gear - necro can benefit from legendary armor quite a bit because all those builds require separate stats. And it's not going to get nerfed any time soon.

7 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I remember a time when the same was said about warriors and mesmers, and necros and engis were considered trash and kicked out of groups 😉 .

Engis maybe, but necro was never bad really, and none of those got as destroyed as some of the classes... But that's not the topic of this thread.

6 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Hmm, personally I would disagree with you here but it may be a situational disagreement. Having had all the LS3+4 resource nodes in my home instance for a while now, I have stacks of LS mats. When I want to chill ingame I'll run a couple of alts through map completion stuff. One has a set of unbound gathering tools, the other a set of volatile ones. All of that makes getting ascended trinkets trivial for me, just a matter of jumping to the appropriate LS map/vendor. Crafting ascended armor on the other hand is a more costly process. So I went for the leggy armor first. When that's done I'll go for a backpack and then the trinkets.

I did exactly what you did lol, but if i had to do it again, i would probably go for trinkets first now. 

Probably because, both Aurora and Vision take tons of time - especially Vision - it's not even funny how huge of a time investment it is - first you need Skyscale, then weapon collections, then all the stuff...

 

Anyway, by going for trinkets first - my assumption is that you'd end up getting both trinkets and armor done at the same time. Cause trinkets take longer.

 

But it all really depends on the person, my recomendation isn't be all end all, you just have to see what you want then what you can most comfortably get.

 

I did armor cause i was doing tons of WvW at that time. In the meantime i did chip at trinkets, and managed to craft aurora while i was at my last 2 armor pieces. After i was done with armor, i went for Vision and WvW backpack. I ended up getting Vision first, and i'm mostly done with backpack gifts, i just need skirmish tickets. I was a bit behind cause i was playing EoD.

 

So in reality, most of this stuff can be done simultaniously.

 

You're right about trinkets from living seasons, but i found that, eventually, the currency ran out. I wasn't really doing much of LW season farming though. So again, i guess it varies. 

6 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Oh, your comment about the blood ruby rings is excellent by the way. They are almost as good as legendaries since changing their stats is relatively easy.
 

Thank you! And this is exactly the reason why i never tried getting any of the rings yet! 😃

I can just get 2 blood ruby rings and just stat reset them whenever. 😄 Just gotta make sure to take the infusions out.

But yeah, blood ruby stuff is ridiculously good! I'd say the same about mist stuff from WvW or fractals, but resetting those is much more expensive than just 100 unbound magic which you can "farm" in like, a minute. 😄

 

I'll eventually do Conflux and maybe the raid ring if i end up doing enough raids and the collection... Which i doubt...

But Conflux just takes time and tons of money, so i can do that one at least one day. 😛 

 

Btw - if you haven't yet - Caladbolg is also basically legendary weapon. You can even change its form and stat reset. Just take out any fancy sigils first, they don't survive the change. So get it if you haven't, it's great!

6 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Deciding which leggy armor to start with was easy for me. My main is a rev and I have several rev alts camped out at various farming locations. So heavy armor was the first. My second favorite alt is a necro, so light armor was the easy second choice. Atm, I have full sets of heavy and light leggy armor and have just started on my fourth piece of the medium set, all gotten through WvW. As I'm thoroughly enjoying both the mechanist and the specter, I'll be really glad to get the full medium set.

I was easy for me to decide light cause my main is Mesmer, and i don't really care about super efficiency, i don't play much of anything else. But my mesmer does have 3 different sets, and i like experimenting, so legendary armor is still super useful!

 

And i ended up playing Necro in raids, so that definitely saved me some money crafting sets, especially with trinkets. 😉 

If i do another armor set, it'll be heavy.

 

I have all light armor classes, all heavy armor classes, but in medium, i only have an engi. My frist character, yet  i don't play him much. 😛 He'll have to do make do with trinkets and ascended. 😉

 

Since specter though, i'm interested in making a thief, also for Deadeye, i like the sniper vibe. 

But i have stuff to do in the meantime, it'll have to wait.

6 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Oh, and leggy weapons I buy as I save up the gold for the next one I want. That speeds up the process of acquiring leggies quite a bit.

Yeah, unless you want gen2, then you have to do the work. 😛

But totally, saving gold and buying a legendary from TP is totally viable.

Especially since gen3 is bound to become even cheaper than gen1. 

Right now it's super expensive because at the start, 1 antique summoning stone was 15-20 gold. Now it's below 10.

In a month it'll probably be 5, then as the market saturates, less and less.

 

And since aurene leggies don't really require anything expensive other than that - they're bound to be really cheap eventually.

Especially with more people getting that last Echovald mastery and selling stones on TP.

 

I don't think it'll be way below gen1, but cheaper - could be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Engis maybe, but necro was never bad really, and none of those got as destroyed as some of the classes... But that's not the topic of this thread.

I was thinking back to pre-HoT days, when core necro was considered to be a selfish class that brought nothing to your group. Trying to get into a dungeon group with necro (or ranger) back then was near impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I was thinking back to pre-HoT days, when core necro was considered to be a selfish class that brought nothing to your group. Trying to get into a dungeon group with necro (or ranger) back then was near impossible.

Yeah but, pre HoT days you had to buy skill resets and stuff, part of why necro was like that because most didn't want to waste money on changing traits, not because it couldn't support a group. 😛

But yeah, ok, at one point it wasn't as it is today. I don't want to derail OPs thread any more. 😉 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My main is guardian but i prefer engi and necro for wvw so i'm screwed 😞 I'll have to make all three sets eventually. 😞 Though i put off the armor choice decision after i made my heavy chest and focused on making legendary trinks first instead.

Edited by Kelly.7019
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...