As ArenaNet prepares the game for the release on Steam, I hope they don't neglect the fact that the game is already extremely successful the way it is

I say this because I've seem more than one game go way overboard with their idea of a "Revamped & Streamlined New Player Experience" that turned out to be destructive and counter-productive.

Yes, there are stuff that can be improved in GW2, I feel like we all have our own lists of little issues that need ironing out for a better presentation for a new player.
I just wish they don't go crazy about it and do something like what Destiny 2 did - throwing new players into the deep end and basically deleting the whole beginning of the game in the process.

The way GW2 works is already very new player friendly by default, I really hope they don't break it by trying to improve it.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

• Ellye.9123 changed the title to As ArenaNet prepares the game for the release on Steam, I hope they don't neglect the fact that the game is already extremely successful the way it is
6 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

the first Heart for every race needs to be a variation of the Training Grounds in EoD, that's what NEEDS to change 

I would say a training ground in Lions Arch but you get a special invitation when you hit lvl 80 with some rewards for completion. I mean teaching lvl 1 about combo fields and even break bars might be a bit early.  Maybe lvl 40 or 60.

And one in Silverwaste when you boost. Hey wanna boost to 80, here's the full information overload.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

the first Heart for every race needs to be a variation of the Training Grounds in EoD, that's what NEEDS to change 

I don't think it would work as the first heart, because at that point most characters will only have 2 skills, so they wouldn't be able to do things like break a definance bar or set combo fields and trigger them. I suppose it could be done with special action skills, but that doesn't teach them how they'll do it in a real fight. New players are also likely to still be getting used to the basics at that point. It would make more sense to leave it until later, but still earlier than the 3rd expansion.

I think around the time they hit level 80 would be good, but it's hard to know where they'll be when they get to that point. Working it into the story would be one option, but then anyone who doesn't follow the story to level 80 won't get it.

Putting it in Lion's Arch like @Cuks.8241 suggested would probably work. That would also make it easy to repeat whenever they want a reminder or to try it with a new build.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I would say a training ground in Lions Arch but you get a special invitation when you hit lvl 80 with some rewards for completion. I mean teaching lvl 1 about combo fields and even break bars might be a bit early.  Maybe lvl 40 or 60.

And one in Silverwaste when you boost. Hey wanna boost to 80, here's the full information overload.

sure that as well, but you really can't teach that stuff early enough. 

• Confused 2

I am very excited for Guild Wars 2 on steam.

Its time the world of steam see what an mmorpg really is open world, story, lore, pve action raids dungeons , pvp and most of all world versus world. Gw2 will be the best and most played mmo on steam.

What im concerned is steam will show how many players playing ingame so this will expose gw2 that we have more than 500k people online and make haters even mader 😂.

Haters will hate cant wait for steam update. Gw2 best mmo all time 2022

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone remember the one day, back in year one I think, that there was a Daily Combo user?  As I say, it only happened once, but if ANet really wants to teach people to use combos and break bars, then adding dailies seems like a good way to do it, that method definitely trained long time player to rez anyone they see down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

They'll be showing how many Steam users are playing the game.

Yes sir that is what the i trying to say. Sorry my london is not very good. 

Gw2 will have very many players online and shock alot people. Haters will say game has very many bots 😂

Haters will go malding

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Gw2 will have very many players online and shock alot people. Haters will say game has very many bots 😂

Haters will go malding

But it'll come down to what is "a lot" with the potential of it backfiring if the numbers don't reach whatever that is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mythical.6315 said:

But it'll come down to what is "a lot" with the potential of it backfiring if the numbers don't reach whatever that is.

I do not understand what you are say . But what i understand is alot players are cannot wait to play gw2 on steam. We will be the best mmorpg on steam. It is very good time to be a gw2 enjoyer 🤗

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Knowing the average player already in the game, they definitely need a more robust and clear tutorial. I mean no offence by that but it would go a long way at improving the base skill level/understanding of what you can do. Maybe even some book explaining various jargon so new players don't feel completely lost. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

I do not understand what you are say . But what i understand is alot players are cannot wait to play gw2 on steam. We will be the best mmorpg on steam. It is very good time to be a gw2 enjoyer 🤗

Well in an earlier post you said would show that GW2 has more than 500k players online. On a post after that you said you knew that Steam only shows the population of Steam users playing the game. GW2 will not come anywhere remotely close to 500K players on Steam.  Certainly not have enough numbers to be the best MMORPG but that’s okay. 

You have to be careful about a large population influx at launch as a sharp decline could signal that there’s something wrong with the game and the impact of that can feed on itself. On the other hand, it can have a decent launch but the numbers are not large enough for anyone to take notice. 

Who are these “a lot of players”?  Why are they waiting for the Steam release if they cannot wait to play?

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I don't know... Woodenpotatoes has some notes on things to change for the game, and he makes some good points.  

Oh, I agree with most of what he says there, would even a few other points.

But those are all just clean-up still - what I said I was afraid of is some really big over-arching changes that some games do when they feel they need to be more appealing for a new wave of players.

To follow up with the same example that I used in my opening post (Destiny 2), as it happened relatively recently and also with the excuse of a Steam Release, the equivalent to what they did would be like ANet changing it so that new characters start in the middle of Lion's Arch at level 80 with a full set of Ascended Gear,  pre-made build, maxed crafting professions, with all recipes unlocked all the way except for the very newest stuff, and with the Personal Story disabled by default.

Some developers seem to have an idea that new players are averse to having to start from scratch, and so they over-compensate it wildly.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Haters will go malding

You are aware that current players will not be playing on Steam, yes?  In other words, current accounts can not be transferred to Steam; only new accounts can be made on Steam. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You are aware that current players will not be playing on Steam, yes?  In other words, current accounts can not be transferred to Steam; only new accounts can be made on Steam. 

I know they said this years ago when they initially set up the steam store front page, but have they ever commented on it again?

I really hope that part of what they are working on before the steam release is a way to link accounts.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Ellye.9123 said:

I know they said this years ago when they initially set up the steam store front page, but have they ever commented on it again?

I really hope that part of what they are working on before the steam release is a way to link accounts.

No not a word and hence why we still hold them to the words they said already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Yes i am very aware of this but thank you for your concerning. even just on steam gw2 will have alot of players online in game more than other mmorpg on steam i believe. best mmo on steam cannot wait for release . best time to be gw2 enjoyer 😜

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

IMO,  It can fail even like that .. if i'm not mistaken, the new player experience that was implemented years ago only allows the player to do stuff related to map comp around level 12 ? I'm not sure if hearts are visible before that.. plus there will be players trying to level up like in other games.. by killing everything in their sight.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

IMO,  It can fail even like that .. if i'm not mistaken, the new player experience that was implemented years ago only allows the player to do stuff related to map comp around level 12 ? I'm not sure if hearts are visible before that.. plus there will be players trying to level up like in other games.. by killing everything in their sight.

The new player experience is how the game works now.

You can do hearts right from level 2 (you can't do them at level 1 because leaving the starting instance levels you up) and if you have the content guide turned on it will immediately point you to the first heart. Uncompleted POI's and vistas don't show up on the map until your first character gets to level 4 but can be completed before then if you find them, after that they show for all characters right from level 2. Hero challenges can't be completed until your first character gets to level 11 (so they're not getting points they can't spend) but after that they're also unlocked for all characters on the account.

4 hours ago, Ellye.9123 said:

Oh, I agree with most of what he says there, would even a few other points.

But those are all just clean-up still - what I said I was afraid of is some really big over-arching changes that some games do when they feel they need to be more appealing for a new wave of players.

To follow up with the same example that I used in my opening post (Destiny 2), as it happened relatively recently and also with the excuse of a Steam Release, the equivalent to what they did would be like ANet changing it so that new characters start in the middle of Lion's Arch at level 80 with a full set of Ascended Gear,  pre-made build, maxed crafting professions, with all recipes unlocked all the way except for the very newest stuff, and with the Personal Story disabled by default.

Some developers seem to have an idea that new players are averse to having to start from scratch, and so they over-compensate it wildly.

No they're not going to do anything like that.

As I understand it Destiny did that because it's a progression treadmill game, where every new release brings new things to grind for to make your character stronger (whilst making everything else harder to compensate, so the overall difficulty stays about the same if you keep up). In games like that new players face a long, slow grind to catch up to the parts of the game which are still active so jumping them ahead is a way to avoid them getting bored in the time before they're allowed to enjoy the game.

GW2 doesn't work like that. The game doesn't fundamentally change at level 80 (or once you get ascended equipment) and you can do some of the same things 'end game' players choose to spend their time doing even at low levels - like fighting world bosses, map completion or playing PvP and WvW (where you're scaled up to level 80) so there's no need to skip ahead. Also the story all ties together so if you're interested in it you'll need to play the entire thing. New players with a paid account do get a level 80 boost of course, so they can skip levelling if they want to, but they won't miss out on any of the content by doing that.

Also Anet are actually doing the opposite to Destiny and brining back Season 1 of the Living World, which hasn't been available for years. (It was designed as temporary releases, at the time that was their plan for on-going development, then they found it didn't work well and switched to permanent releases with the start of season 2.)