I hate the Jade Bot.

I just want to get my thoughts on why I dislike the Jade Bot so much out there. I'll also give my own thoughts on how to improve it.

Vertical Power Progression

It provides additional vitality for every Jade Bot core upgrade. Service Chips and Sensory Arrays can have rank upgrades that improve things like movement bonuses. This is vertical power progression. It's fair to say that other expansions have provided this type of progression, with things like mounts and their openers, but the direct stat boosts is kind of on the nose. Now all future expansions will need to be balanced around the additional vitality we have from EoD.

A little too late to adjust this part, as jewelcrafters have made their components already but I would avoid doing straight up stat boosts for future expansions. These things will accumulate the more stat boosts are done. It's called power creep for a reason.

Protocol Balance

It's not like we are choosing between passive mount energy recharge and a roller beetle drift energy bonus. We are choosing between some pretty obvious choices to make. If we're going fishing, then it's obvious that we should choose a Jade Bot upgrade for skiffs. If we're going mount racing, then it's pretty clear we need something based around mount racing. If we are farming mobs, then we choose something around farming mobs. The only difficult choices might be which item you want to scavenge for. This means that protocols being swappable have no meaning to the player. If all chips and arrays were equipped at all times, other than the scavanging ones, it would only be a quality of life improvement.

Mount chips should only face off against mount chips. Skiff chips should only face off against skiff chips. Scavenging chips should only be facing off against scavenging chips. This would not only add more opportunities for developers to expand upon, but it would create meaningful choices to the player.

WvW vs. Open World Protocols

If you enjoy both WvW and the open world, you'll be annoyed with swapping between chips and arrays that work in WvW and those that work in the open world. It's like swapping between an open world and WvW guild hall tavern buff! You choose the WvW one and then don't swap it until you do some serious open world farming. This way you don't need to leave WvW if you forget to go to the guild hall.

This could be fixed with the suggestion above, as long as all scavenger upgrades are usable inside of WvW.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, mythical.6315 said:

The extra vitality isn’t much of a game changer so future content won’t have to be balanced around it. 

I have two takes on this opinion:

1. If it isn't a game changer, why would they include it as a Jade Bot upgrade in the first place? They could have excluded it from the Jade Bot while they were making it.
  2. It is power creep. Every creep made will accumulate until they cannot be ignored. It's better to stop the creep now.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

23 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

Now all future expansions will need to be balanced around the additional vitality we have from EoD.

lol, vitality is literally the most useless Stat in any competetive pve content. and it's not alot either, 1k at most I think.

If it added power, precision, etc. I would agree. But not on Vitality 

Edited by Sarius.9285
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 14

9 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

I have two takes on this opinion:

1. If it isn't a game changer, why would they include it as a Jade Bot upgrade in the first place? They could have excluded it from the Jade Bot while they were making it.
  2. It is power creep. Every creep made will accumulate until they cannot be ignored. It's better to stop the creep now.

Why does something need to be a game changer in order to be added?  It's just a nice bonus.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

lol, vitality is literally the most useless Stat in any competetive pve content. and it's not alot either, 1k at most I think.

Tell ArenaNet that! They might revert Impact Savant so that it doesn't reduce my vitality by 180 as a scrapper.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

Virtuoso has a minor trait that increases ferocity based on vitality. It's not just "oh they added vitality", it does affect power creep - and that's just the one I know about.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Virtuoso has a minor trait that increases ferocity based on vitality. It's not just "oh they added vitality", it does affect power creep - and that's just the one I know about.

<supersecretmessage>

Shush! If people think that Vitality doesn't matter, then ArenaNet would be able to remove Vitality from the Jade Bot Core without any hesitation or backlash! They could unnerf Impact Savant! Don't go around telling people that Vitality can be helpful!

</supersecretmessage>

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

The extra vitality isn’t much of a game changer so future content won’t have to be balanced around it. 

It gives a meaningful amount of extra stats to Virtues Guardian, Necromancer in general (More Vit=more shroud) & Harbinger traits, Weaver Elements of Rage, Virtuoso gaining more ferocity. It's about 4 or so +5 stat infusions are at a substantial cost reduction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

What bothers me the most is how annoying it is to use with multiple characters.

I would not mind it that much if I could open the hero panel and swap a chip for one I'm going to use while out of combat. But having to go to some station with one character, removing the chips, then load them back eeeevery siiiingle tiiiiime I want to use them with another character is a step backward in QoL.

Something similar happens with fishing and bait. Lures will probably get an infinite one like gathering tools so there isn't much we can do about that, but baits would work better if they worked like finishers: use them to consume them, they get stored account-wide, then equip them to use them with each character.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

I would not mind it that much if I could open the hero panel and swap a chip for one I'm going to use while out of combat. But having to go to some station with one character, removing the chips, then load them back eeeevery siiiingle tiiiiime I want to use them with another character is a step backward in QoL.

So very, very much this.

I finally just went the route of purchasing cores, arrays/chips for a few characters I play the most and called it a day. There's just no way I'm going to Cantha possibly multiple times a play session just to swap things around; especially as I by far spend the bulk of my time in the prior expansions/zones.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MithranArkanere.8957 said:

Something similar happens with fishing and bait. Lures will probably get an infinite one like gathering tools so there isn't much we can do about that, but baits would work better if they worked like finishers: use them to consume them, they get stored account-wide, then equip them to use them with each character.

Oh yeah! Those don't cause me issues right now, as I only like to play a select few favorite characters, but that is an issue I've heard people talking about. I was walking by a couple of asura talking in /say chat in-game. Something along the lines of "What's next? Legendary Jade Bots?"

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not a great solution, more of a work around, you can get a jade bot workbench in a guild hall, it is a decoration so it can be placed anywhere, basically someone with guild authorization to place decoration puts one next to where you zone into a GH.

• Like 3

What bothers me most about this jade bot thing is that they have developed a wonderful solution that'd work nicely with something like this; The legendary armory. Why isn't there a chip storage where all your chips go that you can withdraw from to sell, salvage, etc that all your characters have access to.

• Like 11

When EoD was on the horizon, we politely asked to do something about the UI situation. Now EoD is life and they have actually made it worse:
- Skiff, Fishing and personal waypoint are stuck in that tiny little grey drop-down box in the left corner of your skillbar.
- No shortcuts, no additional skill-bars.
- Special action key? Still cluttered as EoD uses more of these as well.
-  Jade Bot resurrection overwrites the downed heal. If your allies are around, you waste this emergency-revival, which is then on cooldown. 
- Jade Bot Workbenches to replace parts, which does not make sense. It is an extra step to make it look special, but it is annoying at best.
- Jade Bot in Hero Panel, but with limited functionalities. Please visit the previously mentioned workbench.
- To equip a Service Chip, you need a power core of T6 or higher.
- Jade Bot is a mastery, but without a power-core you cannot use any of the unlocked features.

Sensor Arrays contain:
- Scavanger Protocols (bonus loot from kills)
- Recyclers (trash => loot)
- Turtle (damage enhancer)
- Mount (regeneration enhancer)

You can look at this from what ever perspective you want, 2/4 do not belong into that list. Having to decide between recyclers and scavanager protocols makes a little sense. Or between a turtle-only upgrade or a mount-enhancer that works for all of them. Maybe they had more module-slots in the beginning? But due to time/costs problems, they stacked those four into one slot and the other enhancements in the 2nd slot. 

Service Chips contain:
- Glide (higher personal updraft)
- Skiff (speed)
- Revive (jade bot cooldown reduction)
- chestfinder

None of these look like they fit into that list at all. We have a thread on the board where someone complains about time-gates and wants to solve it with co-op content. Same logic. Comparing apples with oranges.

I doubt they will do this, but let us be a little crative and sort all of these upgrades/features into fitting categories:
1.) Loot Chip: Scavanger Protocols (bonus loot from kills) OR Recyclers (trash => loot)
2.) Mount Chip: Turtle damage enhancement OR global endurance regeneration boost on all mounts
3.) Glider Chip
4.) Skiff Chip
5.) Utility Chip: Revive (reduces cooldown of the downed skill) OR Waypoint (reduces cooldown of the personal waypoint)
6.) Treasure Chip

They have added a revive-cooldown upgrade, but forgot a waypoint-upgrade? It does not exist, but I would play content to get this thing. The personal waypoint is useful, but the cooldown and the weird UI access make it horrible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

When EoD was on the horizon, we politely asked to do something about the UI situation. Now EoD is life and they have actually made it worse:
- Skiff, Fishing and personal waypoint are stuck in that tiny little grey drop-down box in the left corner of your skillbar.
- No shortcuts, no additional skill-bars.
- Special action key? Still cluttered as EoD uses more of these as well.
-  Jade Bot resurrection overwrites the downed heal. If your allies are around, you waste this emergency-revival, which is then on cooldown. 
- Jade Bot Workbenches to replace parts, which does not make sense. It is an extra step to make it look special, but it is annoying at best.
- Jade Bot in Hero Panel, but with limited functionalities. Please visit the previously mentioned workbench.
- To equip a Service Chip, you need a power core of T6 or higher.
- Jade Bot is a mastery, but without a power-core you cannot use any of the unlocked features.

Sensor Arrays contain:
- Scavanger Protocols (bonus loot from kills)
- Recyclers (trash => loot)
- Turtle (damage enhancer)
- Mount (regeneration enhancer)

You can look at this from what ever perspective you want, 2/4 do not belong into that list. Having to decide between recyclers and scavanager protocols makes a little sense. Or between a turtle-only upgrade or a mount-enhancer that works for all of them. Maybe they had more module-slots in the beginning? But due to time/costs problems, they stacked those four into one slot and the other enhancements in the 2nd slot. 

Service Chips contain:
- Glide (higher personal updraft)
- Skiff (speed)
- Revive (jade bot cooldown reduction)
- chestfinder

None of these look like they fit into that list at all. We have a thread on the board where someone complains about time-gates and wants to solve it with co-op content. Same logic. Comparing apples with oranges.

I doubt they will do this, but let us be a little crative and sort all of these upgrades/features into fitting categories:
1.) Loot Chip: Scavanger Protocols (bonus loot from kills) OR Recyclers (trash => loot)
2.) Mount Chip: Turtle damage enhancement OR global endurance regeneration boost on all mounts
3.) Glider Chip
4.) Skiff Chip
5.) Utility Chip: Revive (reduces cooldown of the downed skill) OR Waypoint (reduces cooldown of the personal waypoint)
6.) Treasure Chip

They have added a revive-cooldown upgrade, but forgot a waypoint-upgrade? It does not exist, but I would play content to get this thing. The personal waypoint is useful, but the cooldown and the weird UI access make it horrible.

I don't know much about the UI end of things, but I concur with the chip slots! This feature won't go away in the Living World. It's going to get more uncomfortable as we keep getting these specialized chips that share these unspecialized slots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Haha, wrong. It's a MASSIVE boon to Thief players. That chunk of health is extremely helpful to our microscopic base health, especially on Berserker builds that have terrible defense and sustain right now. Upgrading it all the way made a huge difference. I'd imagine it's the same for Ele.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Haha, wrong. It's a MASSIVE boon to Thief players. That chunk of health is extremely helpful to our microscopic base health, especially on Berserker builds that have terrible defense and sustain right now. Upgrading it all the way made a huge difference. I'd imagine it's the same for Ele.

“Massive” is a bit of an over exaggeration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5