4th espec wants and desires?

Kheron.9062

I know, I know. EoD isn't even cold, yet, so why talk about the next espec? Well, because the earlier we give Anet ideas the better chance they can get worked into development!

My main desire would be a dagger/dagger based spec, possibly channeling Vizu or perhaps Anton of the Ebon Vanguard or something, because I want daggers & stealth. The main mechanic to set this spec apart from the other Rev specs would be a shorter Legend swap cooldown, similar to warrior's trait to get quicker weapon swaps. To compensate, the class would not reset to 50 energy upon swap but instead only get like +20 energy or something.

If Vizu, perhaps make her dummy thicc with shadowsteps given her lore of chaining shadowsteps to try and out run Shiro's death wail?

If not this stance dancey playstyle, then perhaps a Scepter oriented Legendary Lich Vizier Khilbron pet class? Be a better minionmancer than the Necros :p

What do you guys think? What would you want?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

- Not a human

- Has important influence to his race

- Not a good guy

Sylvari: Scarlet Briar/Rifle: Legendary Breacher (Her ship being called the Breachmaker) (Developing the Aetherblade blogpost)

Way back during the Kralkatorrik arc of 2018, Associate Designer Jonathan Blunden prototyped a side project: a stand-alone encounter in which the commander could go into the Mists and intercept the Aetherblades as they tried to escape the rampaging Elder Dragon. The encounter even had a fun twist to it: Mai Trin had become a Scarlet-channeling revenant!

Asura: Eternal Alchemy/Dagger&Dagger: Legendary Balance

Norn: Either one of the fallen spirit or Koda from the Kodan with Warhorn

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Rashagar.8349 said:

I still want Owl.

Daggers would be fine for talons. Focus on chill, some stealth, and generally just channeling a giant intelligent predator. 

OMG, yes. I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. I was so sad to see what happened to Owl in IBS. Owls are also one of my favorite animals, so if I could channel Owl and run around with talons I would be happy af.

Screw Vizu, give us Owl! Swooping in on unsuspecting targets and deleting those poor souls from life.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Renegade ? It has shortbow

That is our only REAL option outside of Hammer for WvW, a second real choice for ranged weapon would be nice. I'd really like Scepter because it would be the first real "Spell-Caster" Legend hopefully outside of Goat who is only Healing.

Edited by TheSeraphim.7413
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not! Another! Good! Guy!

Revenant was marketed and released with an equal split of good and evil legends. Glint made sense because she was the single most influential character of the dragon story. 

But now rev has totally lost its edge, where is the idea of channeling forbidden power, the deal with the devil kind of fantasy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't expect another specialization to be honest, adding 9 elites every expansion sounds like a lot or work that could be redirected towards other areas of the game/new expansion, and considering all the flaws of the last xpecs, I'm sure Arenanet is already considering NOT adding more new specializations in the new expansions.

However, if we are to get a 4th Revenant xpec, I just want it to make sense and have all 9 major traits to be useful and the skills to bring a good balance between damage and CC. After Vindicator, I don't even care about the weapon or the legend, I just want it to be good, playable, enjoyable and with two dodges.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

Not! Another! Good! Guy!

Are they good guys?

- I mean, Kallah was the leader of a rebellion. For the people that were in power when she was active, she was probably a "bad guy".

- Shiro is diabolized because he killed an emperor, but did he do something vastly different from what kallah did?

- Saint Viktor and Archemorus are champions of 2 warring tribes, I'm pretty sure Saint Viktor is a bad guy in the luxon's eyes and Archemorus is a villain in the Kurzik's eyes.

Also, shouldn't it be easier to gain the power of a legend that actually have goal/objectives/purpose that align with yours?

- Jalis want to bring retribution to the destructor

- Ventari want things to grow

- Mallyx want to torment

- Shiro wanted revenge

- Glint want to help fighting the dragons

- Kallah want to free the charrs

- The Alliance exist to face a common threat.

Do you perhaps think that it would be right for the main character to channel someone that want to enslave others or promote racism or whatever that would make it a villain? You'd have people all over the forum to protest against the release of such legend. The devs have to thread carefully when they chose the legend and make the lore as accomodating as possible in order to avoid those uproars that are very common nowadays.

Look, wouldn't it be easy to find a random Kraith name and call it a legendary slaver. Similarly it would be easy to find an asura legend with a superiority complex that look down on all other races and make unethical experiments on poor peoples. That would be villains but would they be well received or accepted? I'm sure there would be people ready to sue ANet if they dared do that.

The best the devs can do is to find either neutral theme for their legend or "good guys". They just can't make an "bad guy" e-spec unless they somehow turn why these legend did what they do in a light that make it acceptable to the public. And there is definitely the need to share a common goal

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Look, wouldn't it be easy to find a random Kraith name and call it a legendary slaver. Similarly it would be easy to find an asura legend with a superiority complex that look down on all other races and make unethical experiments on poor peoples. That would be villains but would they be well received or accepted? I'm sure there would be people ready to sue ANet if they dared do that.

If Anet cared about legends being accepted, they wouldn't make Kalla use a shortbow and wouldn't even bother with the Alliance having Vizu right there.

Finding good villains is far from hard, we've seen legendary echoes in the past two specializations, the Legendary Prisoner and Scarlet Briar. Is just a matter of being consistent with the Revenant promise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think new specs for the new expansions are a good idea: we "just" have 3 + core and they are already cloning animations like crazy, plus you don't see much roles to fill whichstill remain vacant.

Instead I would prefer the implementation of a new base weapon, available to core & the specs, to try to fix the abysmal state in which some of the builds are.

Anyway whatever ANed chooses to do, I would prefer it to be either hybrid or condi oriented, and better if is ranged. Because power damage overal suck in the game, specially in PvE.

And outside that, for the new expansion I would want the imprementation of individual homing, which is one of the few things which could be borrowed from other MMOs which GW2 still lacks. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

- Shiro is diabolized because he killed an emperor, but did he do something vastly different from what kallah did?

You clearly need to go back and play Guild Wars 1 Factions and Nightfall if you think what Shiro did is “not something vastly different from what Kalla did.”  Shiro is clearly evil, even in his GW2 incarnation. Literally his new Cantha dialogue, especially his Harvest Temple dialogue, isn’t something a “good guy” would say.  Did he start evil? No, no indication, however after being manipulated and forced to become paranoid he committed evil actions and then double and triple downed on it after the fact. That’s evil! He shows no remorse for his actions and is perfectly okay with working for Abaddon who was an even worse evil perfectly okay with sinking entire continents of people, unleashing demons to kill and terrorize tyrians, and potentially instigate the end of the world all as part of a revenge plot. 

Mallyx btw is also clearly evil as well since he’s literally Abaddon’s top servant. Mallyx isn’t just “some nice dude who just happens to want to torment people haha.”

It’s been shown we can and do channel clearly evil villains as legends who have done horrific things so there’s no need for Anet to avoid villains as potential legends. Both Shiro and Mallyx make that fact clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Calling Kalla evil would be like calling the American North army evil, or MLK evil.

Like she was a great leader who federated different legions behind her and got the loyalty of the Iron Imperator before being assassinated by the Flame Imperator after beating him in a traditional duel but then accepting his rendition (before he stabbed her in the back)

Shiro instead wanted to be the Emperor at any cost and was ready to destroy Cantha for it iirc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seriously, guy, it's the winner that write history and define who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. You need to understand that.

There is always 2 sides to a story.

Shiro is manipulated by Abbadon and kill the emperor, sure. What if instead of being killed afterward he had become an emperor himself like many do? He would have just written history as him taking down a tyrant and would have been regarded as a hero.

Is being ambitious and realizing your ambitions something evil?

I mean, it's not difficult to make shiro into a Hero.

- Someone come to him to tell him that the emperor is a threat.

- This person show him how badly the empire's people live, opening his eyes to the poverty and misery of the mass.

- This person point out that the emperor try to bring under it's rule more and more territories and races.

- Then obviously there is a need for someone to be a "hero" and bring down the tyrant and then take over the mantle of emperor to bring prosperity to the people of cantha.

The difference is that shiro is killed after bringing down the "tyrant" and before taking over the emperor's mantle by people faithful to the emperor that was killed. Thus he become the bad guy that killed a good and wise emperor.

He then become a messenger in death and let his ressentment brew and grow until he find a way to unleash this ressentment.

4 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Calling Kalla evil would be like calling the American North army evil, or MLK evil.

That's the point, had the south won, american's north army wouldn't have been the "good guys".

Take france for example in WW2. There were peoples that were resisting Hitler's rule and ended up being looked up after the end of the war but what would have happened if Hitler had won? From his side, those peoples were seen as terrorists or "bad guys".

Dividing people/characters into good guys and bad guys is a pretty shortsighted way to do things.

Mallyx? When you fight him, Abbadon is dead and mallyx is within his own domain. You could say that he is defending his home. We literally kill his god and then encroach into his home to take revenge on things that he didn't personally do but his boss did. Who is the bad guy if you look at things this way? Oh, yes, we make sure to not leaves people of the dead boss behind us to avoid issue in the futur... What good guys we are... They are demon so let's do a genocide to be sure there is no issue later.

• Confused 7

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

That's the point, had the south won, american's north army wouldn't have been the "good guys".

Take france for example in WW2. There were peoples that were resisting Hitler's rule and ended up being looked up after the end of the war but what would have happened if Hitler had won? From his side, those peoples were seen as terrorists or "bad guys".

The slavery enjoyer were considered evil for a reason

The URSS for example is on the good side of WW2, but it still considered as an evil country by the other countries

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

The slavery enjoyer were considered evil for a reason

Nope, they are currently considered as evil. But years ago, being against slavery was considered as an anomaly, taking away slaves from their "owner" was seen as theft. You're looking as the past with the eyes of someone that live in 2020 not with the eyes of peoples that lived at the time it happen.

I'm not saying that what they did was good or evil, I'm just saying that to each period of time their is different standards and that history is written by the ones that came on top at the end. Our current ethic and standards are the fruit of hundred years of evolutions and tweaks to general education.

1 hour ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

The URSS for example is on the good side of WW2, but it still considered as an evil country by the other countries

That's merely the result of your education. URSS was considered as evil because there was a difference of ideology between capitalism and comunism which led to tensions between the "good guys" that are responsible of your educations, the one that sculpted your beliefs and the "evil guys" whose ideology is, obviously, "wrong and dangerous" from the point of view that you've been trained to have. 

Racism is often people thinking that a different skin color, hair color, culture, langage or other silly things make someone "evil". Heck! Women were burnt at the stake merely because they had red hairs which led people to believe they were "witches" and that as such they were "evil". Now, if you look at those past deed would you say that the red haired women were "evil" or the one that burnt them due to their prejudices were "evil". The answer? Neither were evil, the women had unfortunate body characterics while the other were led by their beliefs and fears (even if it make them monsters in our 2020 eyes).

• Like 1
  • Confused 7