Gangwar Complaint

*embraces for the memes , lols, and get gud comments*

So anyway... When I find something that is kinda off about the game I'm not afraid to say it. Again love the game, but every so often something is a bit off. Today is the Gangwar... let's lock an achievement and ascended backpiece behind loot. I know it's not the first time, but I thought they learned after the jormag one that it's... probably not a good thing. So they put this achievement to get the echovald backpiece... on the boss loot or yes I know in the vault where you can buy the boxes 5 a week. I've done probably 80% of the metas since Cantha came out and... no backpiece. I've led many groups and every time 3-4 people ping it. It's quite upsetting. Anet, when can I get a buy the backpiece for writs like you did for DE? Shouldn't it be something you can buy because not only are you locking it behind a meta, but you're locking it behind RNG! DE is easy peasy 100% drop... This backpiece? A rare drop? It wouldn't be so bad if that was the only thing but you then lock an achievement behind it *facepalms*. I don't know not one of the finest moments, but perhaps maybe kinda leaving the RNG life behind and maybe giving different options of acquiring. Ty. 

And yes, as I mentioned at the top I'm not too concerned of the get gud, that's how it's intended, don't do it, blah blah blah. I'm more concerned about trying to fix the let's lock achievements behind rng loot items, etc. It doesn't make the game fun, doesn't bring value to the game, is quite unnecessary to say the least is my point. I thought achievement is... *quick looks up a definition to make sure it's okay*... 1. a thing done successfully with effort, skill, or courage. 2. the process or fact of achieving something. there is no effort in rng. There is no skill in rng, courage? probably not. 

Anyway, rant over. but I never did understand these achievements sometimes. Have a good day, hope it is some food for thought.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

Pretty sure there's someone crunching numbers on player engagement from the start. Making sure there's just enough rarity that someone map pings the lucky rare drop they'll never wear. But not everyone, because then why would players keep coming back to beat the boss? They might add it to a vendor eventually, for a high price, just like per-character jade bot upgrades. Players will still keep rolling the dice.

Like Dragon's End meta. Sure, it's easy to cave on turtle egg vendor. There's still summoning stones and more bot upgrades and - gosh! - suddenly a rare infusion.

Echovald meta is a lottery where the rare reward is one whole achievement point and a ticket to grind for a second point, and you're paying with your life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, patton the great.7126 said:

I hear you loud and clear! And just to clarify....you want instanced player housing and skiff parking garages to keep your cape supply in.  Meaningful content on the way!!!

Can't you read? OP was clearly asking for free legendary minis that give extra stats when open world PvP is introduced to the new playble Tengu starter zones.

On a more serious note:
Yes. RNG rewards are nice, but having an option to buy the rewards for currency eventually is better. Like they did with the Raid skins: you have an RNG chance to drop them but also the option to save shards and buy them eventually.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Nokturnal Lunacy.3186 said:

Anet have never been good at foresight. Everything with them has to "corrected" later on in an update instead of just making it right the first time.

This is an interesting comment.  It presupposed that you know how many things might have been fixed or come out the way they did because of foresight. You wouldn't know about those things because they just work and plenty of stuff in this game just works. You take that for granted, and only focus on the things that don't work, because you didn't see them.

Anet missed stuff that's true, but so does every MMO manufacturerer I've ever played.  Eve Online came out with a monacle in the cash shop that was $90 and there was backlash.  How did they not see that coming.  I think this game is more complex in a lot of ways than typical MMOs and when you're focused on making roughly four or five times the number of events that other games have quests, you end up with more stuff to keep an eye on.

I think Anet has the tendency to be less organized sometimes, but I don't think they lack foresight. There are a lot of things added to this game that don't exist in other games that we just take for granted.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, jamesg.7128 said:

As a general rule my rng is usually pretty bad but I had this drop the first time I did the event.

You and me both.

How about we start a conspiracy that ANet rigged this drop so it only drops quickly for those of us with lousy luck elsewhere? 🤣

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, La Fighting Hamster.9073 said:

i am trying to get Echovald Spire Backpiece. evertime i try at Defeat Prototype XJ-1. it never show up. i even try to get Bounty of Echovald Wilds chest. It never show up. it has to be easier way to get it. is it bugged?

It took me around 30~40 runs to get it. If you want more attempts, you can do the event more than once a day (you get a chest each time) and can buy 5 extra chests per week. For comparison, hundreds of chests later, I've yet to see a jade bot upgrade drop.

Every time ANet puts a reward in the game, some players are going to complain.

The truth is that some players like the feeling that comes with the anticipation of a positive result via RNG.  In fact, the relative lack of this type of reward in GW2 is probably behind many if not most of the complaints about the game feeling "unrewarding."  I'm not surprised when ANet adds a serendipity reward (i.e., RNG-based) to the game.  Doing so is consistent with their general approach of trying to please everyone at least some of the time.

Another truth is that while the best approach to things put in game that are obtained in a way that someone doesn't like would be for them to realize, "Maybe that's not for me."  Fat chance of that happening, though, thus the complaints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, La Fighting Hamster.9073 said:

i am trying to get Echovald Spire Backpiece. evertime i try at Defeat Prototype XJ-1. it never show up. i even try to get Bounty of Echovald Wilds chest. It never show up. it has to be easier way to get it. is it bugged?

Just got one a couple hours ago

On 5/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Every time ANet puts a reward in the game, some players are going to complain.

The truth is that some players like the feeling that comes with the anticipation of a positive result via RNG.  In fact, the relative lack of this type of reward in GW2 is probably behind many if not most of the complaints about the game feeling "unrewarding."  I'm not surprised when ANet adds a serendipity reward (i.e., RNG-based) to the game.  Doing so is consistent with their general approach of trying to please everyone at least some of the time.

Another truth is that while the best approach to things put in game that are obtained in a way that someone doesn't like would be for them to realize, "Maybe that's not for me."  Fat chance of that happening, though, thus the complaints.

Pretty much this.

Some rewards are purchased with currency others are tied to getting a lucky drop. Different players like each approach so there are some of each in game.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Haha 1