Is Warrior even worth it?

ShazaM.2583

Working toward grinding legendaries (particularly armor) and I've been working with my warrior on SpB in OW bc it's just easy as hell. 

I feel like I just see a whole bunch of people saying that other classes can do what warrior does but infinitely better. Is that the case? I've been thinking about switching over to Mesmer since it can use most of the legendaries I have currently. 

I just don't want to build legendary armor for a class that just isn't worth it.

"Worth it" for what? There's zero content in the game that you can't do with Warrior (or with any class, for that matter).

For me it's the most fun class to play and it can do a number of different archetypes well for different game modes.

But even if you're worried about following the oh-so-sacrosanct-and-untouchable-meta, Warrior will always have a place on it due to, if absolutely nothing else, Banners.

Personally, I like the combination of having important support abilities both for PvE and PvP in a DPS build, with the ability of going for more durability, CC or even some minor healing if needed be.

Edited by Ellye.9123
  • Like 1

lol not worth it.

warrior has been stuck with banner slave since 2012.

while classes like guardian has power dragon hunter, support FB, QFB, cFB, condi dragon hunter and all for pve alone.

and some literally destroy in open world, while berserker gets destroyed in open world for how squishy it is and if you build for tankier berserker, u start doing no damage

and it takes forever for spellbreaker to do damage..while other classes have builds that lay a million AoEs and destroy all trash mobs and still tank hits and make you feel like a god.

and there's basically only one build per elite spec for pvp ever, unlike other classes can have multiple per elite spec, and they all buttom tier except bladesworn which is basically only mid tier.

with the most weapon types, comes with the least playable build.

i mained warrior in pve in 2013, but like most people just switched to other classes, because warrior in pve is no fun, build is limited and only banners in instanced fights..and in wvw it's only bubble bot that nobody plays.

it's just not fun anymore.

statistic says warrior has the lowest play time recently.

oh and did i mention how it is incredibly hard to tag anything in open world with warrior.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

yup, if not hardcore into warrior, don't make the mistake. Only play it if you rly think youll have a lot of fun. I do that too despite the class' shortcomings.

But full leggy for a class you semi play every now and then with 1 build in open world? Nah, Mesmer with legendary gear has a lot more stuff to work with in pve from what I know between support/tank and dps options and even in wvw with a strong and necessary build for zergs and a couple oppressive roamer/smallscale builds. More value out of your money.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShazaM.2583 said:

I feel like I just see a whole bunch of people saying that other classes can do what warrior does but infinitely better. Is that the case? I've been thinking about switching over to Mesmer since it can use most of the legendaries I have currently. 

Mains say the same about their professions, except for Guardian. I don't know what do you mean by "worth it" but you can do all imaginable content with whatever profession you prefer, Warrior included.

8 minutes ago, Lighter.5631 said:

statistic says warrior has the lowest play time recently.

Which statistics? According to gw2efficiency, Warrior is the 4th profession with highest playtime, just below Guardian, Necro and Ranger.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ShazaM.2583 said:

Working toward grinding legendaries (particularly armor) and I've been working with my warrior on SpB in OW bc it's just easy as hell. 

I just don't want to build legendary armor for a class that just isn't worth it.

If you want to play PVE, Warrior is fine and works properly but several classes are easier. 

If you want to play PvP/WvW, no. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

yup, if not hardcore into warrior, don't make the mistake. Only play it if you rly think youll have a lot of fun. I do that too despite the class' shortcomings.

That is something everyone should know getting into the game. They should know the ceiling for warrior is low by design and investing in it won't give back as much as another class would.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Which statistics? According to gw2efficiency, Warrior is the 4th profession with highest playtime, just below Guardian, Necro and Ranger.

Because the statistics you see are all time. when warrior was incredibly popular on release and a tons of warrior created for BL key farms and was number 1 and even so it still dropped to number 4 in the recently years with very big drops

you don't really need any statistic but only some actual play time to realize that there's barely anyone play warrior nowadays. even rev the paid class had more play time then warrior.

even the redditor stated there was a post talking about how they never see many warriors, there were multiple posts about it, yet people always be like "oh but the gw2efficiency blahblahblah"..yea..so here's the statistic.

like in what world people would think that a list having elementalist higher then mesmer is the accurate presentation of todays class distribution.

Edited by Lighter.5631
  • Like 2

With legendary armor you can also play rev and guardian, guard is very worth it (has been for a while, even with nerfs). For open world war is fine, though I find guard to be more tanky and easier to do more dps with. For spvp/wvw guard and rev are very strong, even if war isn't.

Personally I would go with medium armor first, because ranger, thief, engi offer IMO more varied gameplay. But doing heavy armor first also works.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShazaM.2583 said:

That Legendary armor is also fully usable for any other Guardian and Revenant on your account, simultaneously alongside your Warrior so you have twelve (sub)classes to play with it.

Warrior banners will be overhauled bringing Quickness and other boons in a few months.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

3 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

That Legendary armor is also fully usable for any other Guardian and Revenant on your account, simultaneously alongside your Warrior so you have twelve (sub)classes to play with it.

Warrior banners will be overhauled bringing Quickness and other boons in a few months.

Agreed, that is if OP is interested in Rev and Guard tho. 

Tbf it doesn't look good for Rev either rn, only guard is basically the fun class to theorycraft on with full leggy.

Rev is restricted to Alac in pve, has 1 good build with herald in pvp as both vindi and renegade have fell off a bit (I haven't seen anyone play core), but it's pretty ok in wvw as all it's specs, core included, can roam in some form (condi or power), and you have 1 strong zerg build and 1 gvg/less strong zerg build. 

Also Ventari kinda fun to play in open fields or chokes in wvw.

7 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Agreed, that is if OP is interested in Rev and Guard tho. 

Tbf it doesn't look good for Rev either rn, only guard is basically the fun class to theorycraft on with full leggy.

Rev is restricted to Alac in pve, has 1 good build with herald in pvp as both vindi and renegade have fell off a bit (I haven't seen anyone play core), but it's pretty ok in wvw as all it's specs, core included, can roam in some form (condi or power), and you have 1 strong zerg build and 1 gvg/less strong zerg build. 

Also Ventari kinda fun to play in open fields or chokes in wvw.

Well I think the lack of Core Revs is a bit of a consequence of not being present for a significant chunk of the competitive player base. Only a few classes are viable for Core (Necro, Guard, etc.), and most players who play other Core classes do so only because they're on F2P or  pre-HoT accounts, for which Rev isn't available.

This is why Core Rev has the lowest showup in the entire game, outside of PvE levelling. I really think the devs should revise their decision to only include Rev in the expansions before Steam release.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

Well, I play with shouts and their off heals, then my finisher burst provides periodic splash of heals. No one really has complained about often health bar top offs along with their primary benefits.

You can run the risk of no heals and have a line of defiance bar breakers.

I like warrior and it does look like it has plenty of things to play around with.

Edited by Allen.9310

I main warrior in every possible games and I find the warrior in GW2 quite fun to play but as in every game the warrior is an easy to play hard to master class and if you want to play it at full potential you will need a lot of brain to do so.

If you have to think how to play and what to do in combat PvE/PvP why choose warrior when you can do so with a assassin/thief archetype for far more dps,versatility etc... the answer is simple you have to like the class maybe love it and learn all the tricks and utilities.(My second is thief just to understand that I am not talking from air)

You first have to get that you can play anything but to choose in who you invest the most of your time is mandatory especially here in GW2 where you cannot just switch race or class so you got to think deeply about. I usually think of who I would like to be in real life if it were too,a heroic warrior who fights for what it holds dear?A sneaky assassin who is paid in contract to kill?A righteous clerik in plate who vanquish evil?

It's up to you ,I crafted full ascended heavy armor and is account bound I guess legendary is account bound too so if you like warrior you can change to Guardian/Revenant and enjoy if you got bored of warrior for a time.

The only issue I found is the type of armor,Zerk,Condi,etc which influences your possibilities as the warrior is  a more straightforward type so berserker works the best for many builds but I got some exotic for tanky and condi, yes warrior can play tank from "holy trinity" if it's talented properly and let the dps unleash full damage on the boss.

In the end it's up to you and as many,feel free to try other professions because if you like to play as warrior you will always be back to it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Warrior is closest to viable in pvp - we will see after update. Dragon slash is overpowered and it is actually quite possible that quickness banner will be OP there (or, alternatively, totally useless). Might be forced into a support role with shouts, however...

Instance PvE is going to be a very sad state I predict. Currently warriors come because they can bring good DPS while bringing banner, since there is very little tradeoff to running them... With the new banners, every warrior will be expected to run mostly diviner gear. People who got into warrior for HUGE MELEE DPS are going to be wet noodling for 25k max golem playing boon support.

Open world warrior does work. You can be close to immortal but will kill slower than comparatively tanky specs on other profs. In zerker gear you can get very high open world DPS very easily, but there are a lot of easy to run DPS specs now. You don't have good utility like mob grouping, teleports, or easy aoe tagging.. and you can't carry a map meta on support like engi/scourge/fb can.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For pve, sure it's worth it. However, that is only if you do not raid.

For pvp/wvw, forget about it. Warrior, along with mesmer, are at their lowest points. I can't say much about mes, but they're not much of a threat nowadays. They seem to be in a bad place as warrior is.

1 hour ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

For pve, sure it's worth it. However, that is only if you do not raid.

For pvp/wvw, forget about it. Warrior, along with mesmer, are at their lowest points. I can't say much about mes, but they're not much of a threat nowadays. They seem to be in a bad place as warrior is.

Personally, I've always enjoyed playing around with a Healer/Support Warrior in WvW/PvP, and I think this role is at the best point it has ever been in quite a while.

Bladesworn works really well with Vigorous Shouts in both modes, allowing a spam of shouts for heal and support, while still being able to deal decent damage.