full map warning

Nata.9812

From some time people is asking to inform in lfg when a map is full. It is really annoying keep trying to join a map in AB meta, Halloween labyrinth, etc.

Now with the release of EoD this problem is even worse. Trying to join a meta map (mainly the Dragon´s End) is a battle.

It should be advised in lfg when a squad is in a full map. Also, rather than keep spamming join button, we should have a waiting queue for full maps - similar to WvW maps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

50 minutes ago, Nata.9812 said:

From some time people is asking to inform in lfg when a map is full. It is really annoying keep trying to join a map in AB meta, Halloween labyrinth, etc.

Now with the release of EoD this problem is even worse. Trying to join a meta map (mainly the Dragon´s End) is a battle.

It should be advised in lfg when a squad is in a full map. Also, rather than keep spamming join button, we should have a waiting queue for full maps - similar to WvW maps.

Yes and how happy would you be to see the whole meta go by and your que pops after the whole fight is done without any option to get into another map?

That is what will happen since people doing the meta wont leave before it is over unlike wvw when people leave all the time since you dont have to be there longer then 5-25mins if all you do is dailies and logout.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nata.9812 said:

I get that this is annoying, but how exactly is this suddenly "worse" than it was before? Pretty sure it's the same.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/113781-let-us-queue-for-pve-maps/

I don't think this is a good idea. The point of opening other instances of the map is to get them going, not to make them "waiting rooms" for another one, so people can conveniently ditch it at any point. Seems completely counter-productive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Ok, I can see the point of waiting rooms can be a problem in some situations.

However, what is the problem in giving a message in lfg telling which squads are in full map already?

You need to keep jumping from one squad to another until you find one you can join. This issue happens very often in AB, Halloween labyrinth, and now in Dragon's End.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ok, I can see the point of waiting rooms can be a problem in some situations.

However, what is the problem in giving a message in lfg telling which squads are in full map already?

You need to keep jumping from one squad to another until you find one you can join. This issue happens very often in AB, Halloween labyrinth, and now in Dragon's End.

It is a problem in all situations with a que, but yea a mark that the squad map is full is a good seperate idea

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Who is going to test the map to see if it is full or not?  Will you volunteer?  Maps don't always stay full, so someone has to keep testing every 2 minutes? 1 minute? 30 seconds? 

If you think the algorithm should do it, it would probably lag behind unless it was every couple of seconds, and I'm not sure that kind of testing wouldn't adversely affect the performance of the maps, nor how accurate it would be.  Maybe it would work, maybe not.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 3

The player could be trying to join friends, they aren't always trying to abandon a quiet instance as a lost cause. turning it into a waiting room.

I think it would be alright to introduce queuing for PvE maps.

Could end up getting in after the meta is over. Players could leave for other reasons though. Disconnected for any reason, whether accidental or intentional. Or they could have been there for a completely different reason. Dragonfall has a meta. It also has what you need to do for the "Newborn Skyscales" achievement. I remember when I was doing that step it was what I was focusing on, not the meta. So when I left had nothing to do with when the meta was over.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Nata.9812 said:

what is the problem in giving a message in lfg telling which squads are in full map already?

There's a couple of problems on a technical level.

First of all, players in a squad aren't all in the same map instance (or even on the same map at all). What map should the game check? It's not guaranteed that even the commander is on the very map instance people want to join. What about squads that prepare in different maps than the one they want to play in (e.g. Arborstone for DE meta)? What about squads that move maps (e.g. world boss trains)?

Second polling map instance population status every time somebody opens an lfg tab (or worse automatically polling it every couple of seconds as long as someone has the lfg tab open) quickly adds up to a lot more network traffic than is healthy for the game or its servers. Doing it once whenever somebody tries to join another player makes sense, but doing it automatically for all squads displayed in the lfg potentially multiplies the traffic involved by several orders of magnitude. That's the stuff lag is made of, and/or it needs serious financial invest to upgrade the infrastructure just to support a minor qol feature. It would be comparable to building a 6-lane highway just in case the 6 people living in a remote village want to drive to the next town at the same time, to make sure none of them will have to wait behind another that might be a bit slower.

Then there's all the non-technical aspects already discussed in the thread linked above. The mega server system works on the premise that all maps are equal. There's no overflow maps, waiting maps, meta maps, hp train maps, whatever. To make this work the game tries to fill the map instances in a way that allows people to play that map on whatever instance they end up on. It even encourages you to get everyone on your instance if the one you try to join is full. That's the "work around" the game offers to full map instances. Players have tools to meet up with each other, just not necessarily on the map instance they think they want to go to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

The player could be trying to join friends, they aren't always trying to abandon a quiet instance as a lost cause. turning it into a waiting room.

I think it would be alright to introduce queuing for PvE maps.

Could end up getting in after the meta is over. Players could leave for other reasons though. Disconnected for any reason, whether accidental or intentional. Or they could have been there for a completely different reason. Dragonfall has a meta. It also has what you need to do for the "Newborn Skyscales" achievement. I remember when I was doing that step it was what I was focusing on, not the meta. So when I left had nothing to do with when the meta was over.

Sooo.... those friends can just join your instance instead?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 4/22/2022 at 2:22 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

I get that this is annoying, but how exactly is this suddenly "worse" than it was before? Pretty sure it's the same.

Except that Anet actually REDUCED the player cap in EoD maps compared to previous expansions, and reduced it even more for Dragon's End. (after all, they can't have us cheesing the endgame meta event that's designed to shoehorn people into thinking and acting like raiders)

Combined with the higher popularity that always comes in the early days of an expansion, it's no wonder that the hardest part of any EoD meta is actually getting into the map.

Edited by Nazarick.9653
  • Confused 3