Why does magic needs to be filtered?

Aedil.1296

I still struggle to understand this. 

It needs to be filtered from what? From corruption? What is corruption? 

I read that void is all 6 types of magic together, and then that also ley lines magic is the 6 types of magic together. But then what u need filter out of magic in first place? 

I'm so confused. I keep reading and reading and none of this lore makes sense to me 😭

Edited by Aedil.1296
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

I still struggle to understand this. 

It needs to be filtered from what? From corruption? What is corruption? 

I read that void is all 6 types of magic together, and then that also ley lines magic is the 6 types of magic together. But then what u need filter out of magic in first place? 

I'm so confused. I keep reading and reading and none of this lore makes sense to me 😭

I don't think we know for certain what makes leyline magic different from the void, it's not entirely spelled out in the game. The best guess that I have seen, since Aurene is a prismatic dragon, is that Aurene takes the completely chaotic magic that is void and splits it into the various forms of magic that flow freely through the leylines. As they mix and become chaotic they come back to her and get split again. A second theory that I have seen is that Void is a corruption that enters magic and that Aurene takes the corruption out of the magic and splits tiny amounts of the corruption into mortals who then, upon death, take the void out of the Tyria system into the Mists. I think I personally lean towards the first theory, but the second definitely has a lot of good points leaning towards it as well.

• Like 1

my idea is that void is the basic magic of the outside, volitile and deadly and everchanging. Soo-Won made a stable version, lets call this LeylineMagic, both are all the magic, but void is unstable and leyline is stable, but overtime, this leyline magic slowly falls back to the unstable void, and soo-won and the other dragons filtered this unstable back out the leyline system. 

i think thye kept this void inside their bodies, it slowly build up over thousands of years like lead poisoning. 

and then we killed them, dumping all that voidpoisoning they accumulated into the leysystem again, 1 dragon wasnt that bad, but after 2, it started to mess up the system and you get anomalies all over.

and i think this is why aurene's bond with mortasl is to mentioned alot, especially mortals, always mortals.

i think this is because aurene shares small amounds of filtered void with mortals, and when mortals die they go to the mists, taking the void with them, and so remiving it from the leysystem completly.

i dont know if this was anets vision, but it does explain it nicely and also why the bond with mortals is so important

there is still 1 issue with all theories we have with this all and that is 'The Mists' , what is the mists connection to the void and leyline magic?, and why exactly was it bad that kralkatorrik ate alot of it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

and i think this is why aurene's bond with mortasl is to mentioned alot, especially mortals, always mortals.

i think this is because aurene shares small amounds of filtered void with mortals, and when mortals die they go to the mists, taking the void with them, and so remiving it from the leysystem completly.

creepy....

so you saying that entire nations are slightly corrupted with void magic and they don't know it?

Think of it like wool. 

You can't really do anything with it when it's fresh from the sheep. But when you weave it, you can make cloths out of it. It's still the exact same material but one is chaotic while the other is in order. 

The only difference is that you have to keep "weaving" magic or it returns to its original state. Void. 

• Like 4

The best I have been able to understand it is that by filtering Void to Ley-line magic, the dragons change it from possibility to potential.

This sounds redundant at first, but Void is Possibility.  Likelihood of an event occurring is irrelevant., Void IS that event and every other event, conceivable or not.

But Potential?  Potential can be shaped and directed.  It can be predicted.  Ley-line magic is potential.  It's nothing without direction, but it can be far more potent when it direction is given.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Think of it like wool. 

You can't really do anything with it when it's fresh from the sheep. But when you weave it, you can make cloths out of it. It's still the exact same material but one is chaotic while the other is in order. 

The only difference is that you have to keep "weaving" magic or it returns to its original state. Void. 

I like this analogy a lot, this is how i interpreted the story.

• Confused 1