One thing about Living World 1 that i believe can work on future LW

Ultramex.1506

LW1 was an interesting concept that make the world truly alive but on wrong genre

However Cutthroat Politics seem to have least impact on the world than other. You seemly vote for Ellen Kiel or Evon Gnashblade to be Captain and the winner will add stuffs they have promised. Would like to see how we can influence future LW contents release. Did this get negative reception though? I wans't there at the time of release.

I know some don't like things they wanted won't get added if they lost but c'est la vie.

• Like 1

I remember it getting a mixed response. Unsurprisingly people who wanted the Fractal we got were happy, people who wanted the one we didn't get were unhappy and some people in both groups claimed "everyone" wanted the same thing they did and felt the same way as them about it. Then of course there were claims the whole thing was fake and Anet decided the outcome before it started, complaints that it wasn't restricted to one vote per player or that you had to play the event to vote and about "role players" choosing based on the candidates instead of the benefits for players, which was apparently wrong.

But I suspect the reason Anet didn't do it again is that because they couldn't start developing the new Fractal until after the election finished it took months to come out and when it did it was one of several new Fractals, so it felt a bit disconnected from the election. A lot of people had forgotten about the vote by then, some had left, others joined or returned who had missed the election and didn't know about it and overall it didn't have the sense of players choosing what got released which they presumably intended.

At the time I said there's no way around that because making new content will always take months and at the time they were doing at least 1 new release a month (usually 2) so there would have to be several in between players choosing and the result coming out. But now the release schedule has calmed down and often includes things like festivals, balance patches and instanced content which aren't tied into the living world it might be possible to do something like that again. Although even then I think the time scale would have to be very clearly explained to players up front so they're not expecting whatever they choose to come out right away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I remember it getting a mixed response. Unsurprisingly people who wanted the Fractal we got were happy, people who wanted the one we didn't get were unhappy and some people in both groups claimed "everyone" wanted the same thing they did and felt the same way as them about it. Then of course there were claims the whole thing was fake and Anet decided the outcome before it started, complaints that it wasn't restricted to one vote per player or that you had to play the event to vote and about "role players" choosing based on the candidates instead of the benefits for players, which was apparently wrong.

But I suspect the reason Anet didn't do it again is that because they couldn't start developing the new Fractal until after the election finished it took months to come out and when it did it was one of several new Fractals, so it felt a bit disconnected from the election. A lot of people had forgotten about the vote by then, some had left, others joined or returned who had missed the election and didn't know about it and overall it didn't have the sense of players choosing what got released which they presumably intended.

At the time I said there's no way around that because making new content will always take months and at the time they were doing at least 1 new release a month (usually 2) so there would have to be several in between players choosing and the result coming out. But now the release schedule has calmed down and often includes things like festivals, balance patches and instanced content which aren't tied into the living world it might be possible to do something like that again. Although even then I think the time scale would have to be very clearly explained to players up front so they're not expecting whatever they choose to come out right away.

Ah Interesting.....

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I still think the vote was just for show and Kiel was chosen as the "winner" from the start.

Yea same here, it is not like we could see a progress bar with vote numbers ticking up for each candidate while the event was running.

So Anet could have said this one will win and that is that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I want to expand on this bit: This wasn't the last time players got to vote on something, it was just the last time such was done in-game.

In 2015, when Lion's Arch was under construction there was a poll for naming places, and again in 2016 with Season 3 underway there was a pole for naming our iconic group where Dragon's Watch won (in English - every language had a different pole, I believe, and different outcomes).

However, like the Cutthroat Politics election, just a bit down the line nobody really cared and it didn't have that sense of players choosing what they got.

17 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I still think the vote was just for show and Kiel was chosen as the "winner" from the start.

11 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea same here, it is not like we could see a progress bar with vote numbers ticking up for each candidate while the event was running.

So Anet could have said this one will win and that is that.

If it was faked from the start ArenaNet wouldn't have recorded victory speeches for Evon Gnashblade. They also posted a detailed explanation of what would have changed in the rest of Season 1 (Lion's Arch would have had fewer deaths, for example; still destroyed but a higher population surviving, because Evon would have been more forceful in getting the other captains to act than Kiel was)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I want to expand on this bit: This wasn't the last time players got to vote on something, it was just the last time such was done in-game.

In 2015, when Lion's Arch was under construction there was a poll for naming places, and again in 2016 with Season 3 underway there was a pole for naming our iconic group where Dragon's Watch won (in English - every language had a different pole, I believe, and different outcomes).

However, like the Cutthroat Politics election, just a bit down the line nobody really cared and it didn't have that sense of players choosing what they got.

If it was faked from the start ArenaNet wouldn't have recorded victory speeches for Evon Gnashblade. They also posted a detailed explanation of what would have changed in the rest of Season 1 (Lion's Arch would have had fewer deaths, for example; still destroyed but a higher population surviving, because Evon would have been more forceful in getting the other captains to act than Kiel was)

Dident know about that sound clip, makes it more belivable yes.

12 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I don't know if i buy Evon resulting in less deaths. Kiel was Lionsguard, Evon is a businessman, she would take war more seriously and know better strategies and tactics. This makes me glad the story didnt go in that direction because it would feel forced to me.

2 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

I don't know if i buy Evon resulting in less deaths. Kiel was Lionsguard, Evon is a businessman, she would take war more seriously and know better strategies and tactics. This makes me glad the story didnt go in that direction because it would feel forced to me.

The notion was that Kiel had to rely on the council because she was just a Lionguard. She was a by-the-book individual who tried to do things "proper". Evon is a businessman, but a shady one and also Ash Legion. The explanation given was that he would have used some of his own funds to improve Lion's Arch's defenses. Additionally, Evon was convinced Scarlet would attack Lion's Arch before Kiel was, since Wintersday 2013 he was preaching that Scarlet would attack LA. At the same time, Kiel was just celebrating and making promises.

So it does make sense that Evon, who took the threat more seriously sooner, had no qualms of getting his hands dirty, and had personal funds to use, would be able to get more done for the city than Kiel would.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The notion was that Kiel had to rely on the council because she was just a Lionguard. She was a by-the-book individual who tried to do things "proper". Evon is a businessman, but a shady one and also Ash Legion. The explanation given was that he would have used some of his own funds to improve Lion's Arch's defenses. Additionally, Evon was convinced Scarlet would attack Lion's Arch before Kiel was, since Wintersday 2013 he was preaching that Scarlet would attack LA. At the same time, Kiel was just celebrating and making promises.

So it does make sense that Evon, who took the threat more seriously sooner, had no qualms of getting his hands dirty, and had personal funds to use, would be able to get more done for the city than Kiel would.

If I remember correctly the Captain's Council, including Kiel, didn't consider Scarlet a serious threat. They didn't realise that all her attacks up to that point had effectively been tech demos and small scale experiments and assumed the Lion Guard and the Pact could easily handle anything she could throw at the city so they didn't make many provisions until the attack actually started, and then struggled to get people out.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

If I remember correctly the Captain's Council, including Kiel, didn't consider Scarlet a serious threat. They didn't realise that all her attacks up to that point had effectively been tech demos and small scale experiments and assumed the Lion Guard and the Pact could easily handle anything she could throw at the city so they didn't make many provisions until the attack actually started, and then struggled to get people out.

During Edge of the Mists, Kiel did consider Scarlet a threat - after the story instance "A Study in Scarlet" where Marjory and Kasmeer come to the conclusion 4 different times that Scarlet would attack a city / Lion's Arch. After the instance, you got a mail where Marjory talks about how Kiel said she was arguing with the Captain's Council who believed Scarlet wasn't a threat because "she already attacked here once".

But that's kind of my point - Evon believed Scarlet to be a threat to Lion's Arch two months before Kiel did. Kiel only believed it two weeks before the attack (more or less - hard to paint exact timeframes despite ArenaNet's attempt at 1:1 timeline conversions during Season 1 that fell apart spectacularly given Tyria's calendar only has 360 days and their interview claim of "asura discovered there are five more days" wouldn't make sense because within 18 years the world would be a full season off from the calendar's claim).

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
fixed typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

During Edge of the Mists, Kiel did consider Scarlet a threat - after the story instance "A Study in Scarlet" where Marjory and Kasmeer come to the conclusion 4 different times that Scarlet would attack a city / Lion's Arch. After the instance, you got a mail where Marjory talks about how Kiel said she was arguing with the Captain's Council who believed Scarlet wasn't a threat because "she already attacked here once".

But that's kind of my point - Evon believed Scarlet to be a threat to Lion's Arch two months before Kiel did. Kiel only believed it two weeks before the attack (more or less - hard to paint exact timeframes despite ArenaNet's attempt at 1:1 timeline conversions during Season 1 that fell apart spectacularly given Tyria's calendar only has 360 years and their interview claim of "asura discovered there are five more days" wouldn't make sense because within 18 years the world would be a full season off from the calendar's claim).

I think you mean 'days'.  :classic_tongue:

On 4/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

Can't make a profit off of dead people in Evon's line of trade. I think people like him are the most reliable in a disaster, because every person saved is more profit in the post-rebuild efforts.

20 hours ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Can't make a profit off of dead people in Evon's line of trade. I think people like him are the most reliable in a disaster, because every person saved is more profit in the post-rebuild efforts.

You must have never heard of the "war profiteer". War can be some lucrative kitty, despite the high casualty count.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it really strange that Anet not only promised the Thaumanova fractal but also promised to never release the Abbadon fractal. That's really weird as it was an obvious thing to eventually do anyway down the line, it'd have been easy lore and easily an epic encounter.

• Like 1