Is the new Elite Spec really spammy?

Gigawatt.7850

Overall, its probably a middle ground between Tempest and Weaver in terms of twitchy, spammy and rapid attunement swaps. You still need to rotate your attunements to use all your Orb Skills, but its much more forgiving now. Also, for most  of the attunements (assuming you're using Hammer) the 4 and 5 skills are more utility based so most of your gameplay will be just using 1 - 3 (fire is the exception with Triple Sear being a strong abilitiy). If you want to play effectively, you'll have to use the 4 and 5 skills once in a while for a combo for aura stacking (although there are other ways to combo). Oh and I guess it should be noted, while it may not be as spammy, you now have to manage an F5 ability that is a field you need to place, which can be awkward depending on your keybindings.

However, this is more from a causal open world point of view. End game raids and WvW/PvP still require a bit more hand motion to be effective. Hope this helps.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

Overall, its probably a middle ground between Tempest and Weaver in terms of twitchy, spammy and rapid attunement swaps. You still need to rotate your attunements to use all your Orb Skills, but its much more forgiving now. Also, for most  of the attunements (assuming you're using Hammer) the 4 and 5 skills are more utility based so most of your gameplay will be just using 1 - 3 (fire is the exception with Triple Sear being a strong abilitiy). If you want to play effectively, you'll have to use the 4 and 5 skills once in a while for a combo for aura stacking (although there are other ways to combo). Oh and I guess it should be noted, while it may not be as spammy, you now have to manage an F5 ability that is a field you need to place, which can be awkward depending on your keybindings.

However, this is more from a causal open world point of view. End game raids and WvW/PvP still require a bit more hand motion to be effective. Hope this helps.

Thank you for this, this does help me get a better overall picture. 

It's alright to play, it's just hard to play well.  Particularly, the opening burst looks like this:

Air 2 + Jade Sphere (Air) + Air Orbs + Fire attunement swap -> Fire Orbs + Jade Sphere (Fire)

Those arrows don't lie.  There's only two "steps" in this action.  This is because the Jade Sphere and the orbs are instantaneous and do not interrupt the skill you're currently using.  To do the maximum DPS, you'll need to figure out a way to press 2, 3, f5, and f1 all at nearly the same time.  Once you get to the second loop of the rotation there's some leeway, since you cast Grand Finale in air, which will stagger the Orb and Sphere usage.

I've been putting my mouse on top of jade sphere when I begin the rotation.  It's the only way I have to quickly hit just about every button.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Markus.6415 said:

Strange, i'm using nearly every skill i have when playing catalyst to get as much combos done and the empowerment buff to 10 stacks. Do you just neglect that?

TBH you really don't need the full 10 stacks of empowerment to just play Catalyst in open world. If you're trying to maximize your dps for a raid or fractal, sure, you'll be pressing buttons a bit more, but its  absolutely possible to just play catalyst quiet relaxed. Its honestly pretty easy to maintain 7 stacks of empowerment with only minimal effort. This of course depends on your build though, some will have an easier time of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1