Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Should GW2 have an LFG and an LFR pannel?


Recommended Posts

Just now, mythical.6315 said:

 

LFR is basically a group finder.  You queue into some activity and it randomly places you with others doing the same.

Oh, so it's like the dungeon queue in Elder Scrolls Online? In that game you pick which dungeon you want to do and which role (tank, healer or DPS) and join a queue and then you're automatically placed into the first group with space for your role and - if you're lucky and no one quits or ignores the prompt to start - you're moved to the dungeon and start doing it.

Of the two I much prefer GW2's system. In ESO there always seems to be at least one person who can't stand doing dungeons and just wants to get out as fast as possible so they just run past everything they can. Everyone else has no choice except to leave the group and try again or try to keep up and resign themselves to missing the majority of it. In GW2 people who want to do that can group up with like minded people (and trust that they'll have the right builds etc. to do it) and people who want to do something different can do the same, without the two ending up dumped into the same group.

It also means we're able to use the LFG tool for more than rigidly defined group content. People can form groups for things like open-world events where the game couldn't make groups automatically because there's no fixed criteria. (Even when conventions exist like asking for at least 10 people who can give alac and quickness for the Dragon's End meta it's something players decided on, not something that's actually required.)

I suppose they could offer both, but I wouldn't ever use an automated queue if we have the LFG tool as an alternative.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lottie.5370 said:

What is LFR?

Looking for raids.

In WoW, you press 1 button and it teleports you with ~20 random people directly into a raid so you can experience the content without going through the trouble of amassing a group and waiting for ages.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WoW brought that in when they introduced watered down versions of raids with lesser gear to get people prepped for actual raiding. It was awful....it you were dps you sat in queue for ages.  Otherwise you got with your guild, friends, or spammed chat with requests of looking for people.  The concept was fine.  The trinity system and group composition was challenging for it to assemble.  

GW2 has a nice system.  You don't plague chat with it.  You advertise your groups, they could trim up some of the options that aren't really used (achievement hunters central? no one uses it).  Also you essentially have that with things like Dragonstorm meta..you join a public squad, no requirements.  I really thought that was what they were going for with strikes...watered down versions of raids for a public squad much like LFR in WoW.  Bunch of clueless freshly geared max levels all standing in goop on the floor and dying for an hour, or something like that 

LFR has the advantage of no questions.  People can't deny you access because of gear or dps or constantly picking you off the floor....it's impersonal.  I think that there are enough options now for anyone wanting to get in to raiding.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

LFR has the advantage of no questions.  People can't deny you access because of gear or dps or constantly picking you off the floor....it's impersonal.  I think that there are enough options now for anyone wanting to get in to raiding.

 

Those that would will still use the LFG.  Those that use the LFR would have the same effect as creating a LFG where everyone is welcome.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

 

Those that would will still use the LFG.  Those that use the LFR would have the same effect as creating a LFG where everyone is welcome.

The big issue though would be the difficulty of the content.  The people currently who raid would continue as normal, but many players who would be interested in a LFR/matchmaking would probably be less experienced.  Bringing people in to the raiding community would be who this would target, a role which falls onto organized guilds atm.  To achieve that, it would need to be an easier mode, with less mechanics and less organization since it's essentially pugs.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

The big issue though would be the difficulty of the content.  The people currently who raid would continue as normal, but many players who would be interested in a LFR/matchmaking would probably be less experienced.  Bringing people in to the raiding community would be who this would target, a role which falls onto organized guilds atm.  To achieve that, it would need to be an easier mode, with less mechanics and less organization since it's essentially pugs.

 

So you're asking for an easy mode for raids in order to make a raid finder work?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I will NEVER do that.

Cool, you're free to make that choice. Although you're not exactly free to try and force xx people to be randomly matched with you, when you openly admit you'll refuse to communicate anyways. Which is just one of the reasons that automated random party-maker wouldn't be as great as some people think it would.

15 hours ago, fenriswolfman.5486 said:

It does. You just have to dig for it and anet never shows it to you.

The players are being told about lfg through a pop-up window 1 level before (or on the same level?) they can play the first dungeon.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

The big issue though would be the difficulty of the content.  The people currently who raid would continue as normal, but many players who would be interested in a LFR/matchmaking would probably be less experienced.  Bringing people in to the raiding community would be who this would target, a role which falls onto organized guilds atm.  To achieve that, it would need to be an easier mode, with less mechanics and less organization since it's essentially pugs.

How does an automatic queue make raids easier?

Or are you saying they'll have to re-design the raids to have an easy mode to accomodate the less coordinated groups from an automatic queue? In that case it sounds like the sensible choice would be to avoid creating the problem in the first place by sticking with the group finder we already have, rather than adding even more work to try to fix the problems with an automatic one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GW2 could improve on their existing one with role selection and choice of auto find vs manual find groups. For fractals as an example, most people go to the chill t4 groups that could easily be auto find group with role selection.

Raids get more complicated when you have things like hand kite, dhuum greens, Q1/Q2 kites, and such that few players know how to do.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, LuRkEr.9462 said:

GW2 could improve on their existing one with role selection and choice of auto find vs manual find groups. For fractals as an example, most people go to the chill t4 groups that could easily be auto find group with role selection.

Raids get more complicated when you have things like hand kite, dhuum greens, Q1/Q2 kites, and such that few players know how to do.

How are we defining roles? And how are we insuring that someone is able to adequately fulfill the role they are queuing for? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have something like a group-finder with some of the instanced content: Public Runs. You queue in for an instance until the instance is either full or reaches a certain level of progress, then it locks up. If they would add this to a lot more content, we could abandon big part of the LFG completely.

However, to make public runs work, they need to lower the difficulty. Which automatically leads us to the entire easy-mode discussion again. We have threads filled to the roof about that topic alone. 

tl&dr; I would rather have more public-versions of instanced content than yet another LFG tool. The one we have is already way too complex. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

How does an automatic queue make raids easier?

Or are you saying they'll have to re-design the raids to have an easy mode to accomodate the less coordinated groups from an automatic queue? In that case it sounds like the sensible choice would be to avoid creating the problem in the first place by sticking with the group finder we already have, rather than adding even more work to try to fix the problems with an automatic one.

Best example I can give is referencing WoW.  So they had regular 10 and 25 man raids, that you put together your group for...much like GW2 has.  But LFR had an easier scale with lesser loot/gear designed to be where an inexperienced player could join and learn.  Less communication needed, more just hit the big thing in the room and try not to stand in stuff.   Raiding though is the big focus of WoW, that's where the gear and fun drops are...that's the end game.

So yes, GW2 would need to make a simpler, more intuitive version of raids if a LFR system was introduced, on top of the current raids that exist, so anyone in exotics can participate with little knowledge.  And you are absolutely correct, the current system is fine and just needs a little polish.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...