Balance beef of the day - LoS Porting

Xenesis.6389

/rant

All ports should require line of sight.

Why does my blink on mesmer require line of sight, but then in some places the line of sight is clear as day 5ft in front of me to a ramp or a cliff but tells me I can't port?

Yet a Willbender can port to a target without requiring any line of sight? wut?

If you're going to add a boatload of mobility Anet, at least make sure they all work with the same rules.

I know this will never get looked at.

Thank you for listening to my balance beef of the day.

/endrant

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Shadowsteps that don't require LoS instead require a target (Thief Infiltrator's Strike, Revenant's Phase Traversal, Guardian's Judge's Intervention, etc). Shadowsteps with a return function (Thief's Shadowstep & Infiltrator's Strike, Necromancer's Flesh Wurm & Spectral Walk, etc.) don't necessarily, but they require set up that would require you to then get out of LoS to exploit this. This is a pretty steep downside that is worth mentioning and considering. If you have played any class with these style of shadowsteps, it becomes pretty apparent that it is a huge tradeoff. What happens if you have nothing to port to? If you are trying to disengage but there's nothing in the distance to target? You simply can't use it and you're stuck where you are. Shadowsteps like Mesmer's Blink have the advantage of not requiring a target, which is advantageous in numerous situations, and I'd argue much more generally useful in terms of overall versatility. Is porting through walls balanced or not? I personally have never had issue with it, but I am a long-time Rev player so am probably really biased with it. It's probably most blatantly annoying when fighting a sword/x Thief as they can abuse this the most. 

Speaking in terms of no valid pathing, well yeah this game is incredibly inconsistent with that and it's frustrating when skills don't work properly, but I can assure you that targeted shadowsteps also are victim to this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Same reason my primary damage p/p attack completely break down and dont hit kitten if the target is more than +-10cm terrain height compared to myself. Or slightly to the left. Or right. Or anywhere in front really.

/building the worlds smallest turret in support of those poor, poor mesmers

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

/rant

All ports should require line of sight.

Why does my blink on mesmer require line of sight, but then in some places the line of sight is clear as day 5ft in front of me to a ramp or a cliff but tells me I can't port?

Yet a Willbender can port to a target without requiring any line of sight? wut?

If you're going to add a boatload of mobility Anet, at least make sure they all work with the same rules.

I know this will never get looked at.

Thank you for listening to my balance beef of the day.

/endrant

Funny thing is JI can port without LoS in some areas, but blink and showdowstep can port clear up cliffs etc that JI can't port to even with clear LoS, lots of places where one port will work and another wont, when there is no reason for it to not work... Or places where it will work if you stand in the right 2x2 pixel area.

I tested this some time back with two people I know who play mes and thief, they would port and not move and I would be using JI or sword #2 to try the same port, some areas work fine, others wont work at all. The inconsistency without explaining or having clear defined reasons for this makes me think many if not most of these areas are just bugs. Some are just open/clear ground areas...Or the cliff to the south of SWC, or areas where a wall or gate goes down etc etc.

There are also other things that can be done with instant cast setting and I forget the name, but the setting for locking ground target skills to current target, doesn't work everywhere, but you can do all sorts of things that should not be allowed wih LoS skills, so, so many bugs everywhere.

22 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

but I can assure you that targeted shadowsteps also are victim to this

I still don't see a reason why they should be able to port to a target they can't see through walls. Targeted ports function as gap closers (particularly melee classes), not disengage skills, (thieves got both types for that reason I'm sure), if they were meant to function as either then it would just make more sense to have them like the ground target ports/dashes/charges. Blinks do require a target btw, the ground, which is also restricted in some of the dumbest areas, so regardless, any targeted ports should follow the same rules of los.

• Xenesis.6389 changed the title to Balance beef of the day - LoS Porting