Explain to me wvw vs “gvg”

Iceman.4509

So recently I immigrated from Europe. I led a guild with a roster of around 100. Recently I’ve heard alot of chatter on the team chat option of a made up game mode with strict rules of 15vs15 who fight in edge of the mists. These people crown themselves elite WvW players but in a mode that isn’t officially recognize. Can anyone explain to me the purpose of this? Isn’t all of wvw a sort of “gvg” with players squaring up with other players in guilds. It’s a more fluid fight instead of standing there and running into eachother on the count of go. Should there be a ranking system in WvW for this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Iceman.4509 said:

So recently I immigrated from Europe. I led a guild with a roster of around 100. Recently I’ve heard alot of chatter on the team chat option of a made up game mode with strict rules of 15vs15 who fight in edge of the mists. These people crown themselves elite WvW players but in a mode that isn’t officially recognize. Can anyone explain to me the purpose of this? Isn’t all of wvw a sort of “gvg” with players squaring up with other players in guilds. It’s a more fluid fight instead of standing there and running into eachother on the count of go. Should there be a ranking system in WvW for this? 

Guild vs Guild

Take your equal numbered best coordinated comp elitist to fight other equal numbered coordinated comp elitist. Has little to do with wvw gameplay, because wvw was primarily meant to be played as a points game over objectives. Points per kill wasn't even a thing until a few years ago, otherwise they would contribute next to nothing other than tying up the enemy at a spot on the map (and while you can say they're keeping a zerg from taking stuff, they're also tying up their own side numbers, which could have to deal with a third team). Guilds roam on wvw maps looking for fights, but typically they're looking for fights with equal, but mostly, lesser challenging opponents.

They have their own player run tournaments, they could have their own ranking system, but they've always wanted anet to acknowledge them by making it for them. There's was the problem of arenas and matchups, then an arena was added to eotm, which would make it the most popular spot to gvg these days.

I am prepared for the confused emotes.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

yeah, pretty much sums it up. However: not every WvW-Guild is also a "pure GvG-guild", and vice versa. 

many guilds do a compromise in between. 
If you would list up what these guilds do, it probably looks like this: 

• fighting other guilds on pre-arranged spots, aka "scrims" (usually near south camp) for a designated amount of time (which you also could consider partially GvG)
  • flipping objectives (depending on guild size and skill, this can be even a T3 keep)
  • defending objectives
  • fighting alongside the zerk

so probably most of the WvW-guilds don´t specifically do anything different than the other players in WvW or a zerk. However: most of them put it into a more competetive level (in terms of their gameplay, teamcomp, tactics etc). That´s also the reason why you sometimes see heavily outnumbered guilds still destroy enemy public zerks. They are usually more dedicated (especially to fighting), invest more time in gameplay analysis, their builds and gear, and often have more expierience overall. 

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Guild vs Guild

Take your equal numbered best coordinated comp elitist to fight other equal numbered coordinated comp elitist. Has little to do with wvw gameplay, because wvw was primarily meant to be played as a points game over objectives. Points per kill wasn't even a thing until a few years ago, otherwise they would contribute next to nothing other than tying up the enemy at a spot on the map (and while you can say they're keeping a zerg from taking stuff, they're also tying up their own side numbers, which could have to deal with a third team). Guilds roam on wvw maps looking for fights, but typically they're looking for fights with equal, but mostly, lesser challenging opponents.

They have their own player run tournaments, they could have their own ranking system, but they've always wanted anet to acknowledge them by making it for them. There's was the problem of arenas and matchups, then an arena was added to eotm, which would make it the most popular spot to gvg these days.

I am prepared for the confused emotes.

I don’t get why they put effort into a made up game mode that nobody recognizes nor does the majority of the player base even know it exists. A lot of elitism about what

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Iceman.4509 said:

I think you are too caught up in details and notions of identity.

It is much better to think of it like this:

The EotM arena (and its predecessors), when it works, allow us to create player-made events. The arena splits servers into 3 worlds instead of the usual 12 worlds so it is easier to find different opponents (that you are currently not matched against on the normal maps - so the events go cross-server and can better host "everyone").

It is similar to how you have different modes in sPvP where you can make unranked matches with custom arenas. It is just a space to play in and to create events in. Those events can be anything (1v1, 5v5, 8v8, 15v15, 50v50, w/e). The custom arenas in sPvP still only allow up to 5v5.

The people who play there also play on normal maps. They are also roamers, raiders, skirmishers, pugs, tags etc. That's also why having a working arena is good because it allows us to create more content and give people who already do things more to do, to keep them happier. At least in theory. Content trickles down so everyone benefits. Anyone is also welcome to make or look to join events.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501

1 hour ago, Iceman.4509 said:

I don’t get why they put effort into a made up game mode that nobody recognizes nor does the majority of the player base even know it exists. A lot of elitism about what

Thanks for making me feel old.

GW1 had GvG as an actual pvp mode, for some reason they decided to skip it entirely in 2, and so here we are.

GvG in GW2 wvw at least compared to GW1 pvp/gvg, is basically 15v15 or 20v20 team deatmatch these days.

Sacrx from Red Guard, helped to popularise it in the EU during the games early years. Guilds used to organize fights South of the alpine Borderlands near the windmill like shown in this video, before they created the Arena in the obsidium sanctum: 

There even used to be a proper GvG ladder and even some guilds 10v10s back in the day when it was more popular, but many guilds did open field aswell, cause fighting fixed comps on the same spots gets  repetitive.

Guilds back then fought each other to be the best Guild around, because there was a unofficial ladder they signed up to, compared to now though.

In terms of open field guilds and even ppt guilds, there were alot more of them including gvg guildsback in the day, before we got Server Linkings; due to the active WvW population shrinking.

They aren't generally elitist though. A couple of them may have egos and a cult following of fanboys, but not all of them have their head up their own.. all because they are GvG players.

Edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048

GvG is all about self improvement with other similarly minded people in a semi-controlled environment.

And while technically not "real", it would seem gvg builds often get adapted to the greater general WvW meta. Many WvW groups are super resistant to change, so innovation has to come with somewhere if one desires more than just farming the same 12 defenders and patting each other on the back.

Anet has acknowledged their existence quite a few times. The infamous "violating my game mode" event led to the creation of Obsidian Sanctum's arena, and would eventually evolve into the EOTM arena we see today. Ther's also  the Guild Hall arena, but the less said about that, the better.

So it is inaccurate to say it's not real or it is not recognized. It is definitely not the only way to play, but it is a part of WvW because it is the only game mode that allows for fights of this size. Simply put, not all WvWers are GvGers, but all GvGers are WvWers.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Iceman.4509 said:

Dude... Some people like to play wvw and fight for towers, keeps and territory and some have no fun in this but just want to measure which guild is the fight stronger over each others.

What do you not understand about that to call them unnecessarily elitists?

Why do some people play PvE and others WvW?  Why do some play football and others do judo?

If you want to find them you will find them. Its not a disclosed group or such.

https://discord.gg/CpnHfVA

Btw. you play a game called "Guild Wars" where anet forgot to deliver the "Guild Wars" part since release...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

gvg isn't a own gamemode... teamchat is often just trolling or randoms talking random stuff - and forums do so too

gvg style fights are 15v15 and have a own meta.

then there's different openfield gvgs where the guilds mostly are 20~ up to 25-30, those use different meta stuff thats more close to the largescale meta yet

there have been, maybe still are, inofficial gvg discords and ladders/rankings about it since years.  not a lot of strong guilds are still around tho.

even if u fight around and inside objectives, that is plainly openfield largescale combat in most cases, nothing more. you never really fight "for" the objectives, unless they are strategically important, which 99% aren't.

only the garrison-style keeps are worth seriously defending at all costs, the rest matters zero. and Stonemist is, bc its a good pugfarmspot

in rare occasions u want to rise tier, but normally it makes no sense at all to fight over all objectives/structures on the map/s seriously. u gain nothing but boring stale t1 dwelling, if u ppt too much

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

Dude... Some people like to play wvw and fight for towers, keeps and territory and some have no fun in this but just want to measure which guild is the fight stronger over each others.

What do you not understand about that to call them unnecessarily elitists?

Why do some people play PvE and others WvW?  Why do some play football and others do judo?

Absolutely. I’ve seen this so often. There is a football match going on and suddenly two players decide to judo vs. each other because they just don’t like playing football. Its totally normal, happens every day. 😏

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, enkidu.5937 said:

Absolutely. I’ve seen this so often. There is a football match going on and suddenly two players decide to judo vs. each other because they just don’t like playing football. Its totally normal, happens every day. 😏

dont know what you are smoking mister but you obviously didnt read the ops postings with attention.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

dont know what you are smoking mister but you obviously didnt read the ops postings with attention.

Are you sure that you did? Op is absolutely clear what he means with elitims:

On 4/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, Iceman.4509 said:

These people crown themselves elite WvW players but in a mode that isn’t officially recognize.

So, its obviously not "one likes football and the other likes judo". Its 2 people that judo vs. each other in a football game and claim they are the best football players because no one can keep up with their judo skills.

Its just two days ago that there was another (of countless) discussions on team chat with one of these GvG ppl. And they (or at least a part of them) dont just say "you like to play WvW, we like to play GvG, thats it" (as you put it in your post). No, they even claim they are playing WvW the right way, and objectives and score are for noobs.  So, yup obviously lots of smoking involved here. 😏

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

why do people duel in wvw??? wa wa wa why do people gvg in wvw???? wa wa wa  why do people afk in wvw???? wa wa wa why do people not play wvw ded gem???? wa wa wa

the beauty is precisely this in this mode. as has already been clearly explained above, it only becomes ridiculous when you find someone who claims to be the best footballer because he is good at practicing judo.

or he pretends to explain to you how the game of football should be played precisely because he is a judo wrestler.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1