Official sources about how map population caps work in PvE?

I've seen people constantly speaking about soft caps and hard caps but all of my searches have yet to find an official source.  How do people know that they got in because the soft cap increased and not because someone left the map?  To me it just seems like a myth that keeps perpetuating itself.

Indeed, in fact you're almost right: in a meta, by saying "soft-cap", we mean that a map has reached its cap BUT not all players in that map are actually there for meta, so the chance they're gonna leave and make space is high. On the contrary, by saying "hard-cap", we mean that a map has reached its cap AND most players in that map are there to do meta, so it's unlikely they're gonna leave to make space for others.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The soft cap is when the megaserver stops filling the instance, but more people can still get in by joining on someone else. As more instances are created, the megaserver will place fewer people per instance and begin funneling people by server, which is where guesting can still be used.

The hard cap is the maximum capacity. Once filled, no one can get in until someone leaves.

What you're referring to are the temporary reservations beyond the soft cap. There's no real way of knowing if it's the result of people leaving the instance, the megaserver still having pending connections as it shifted to a new instance, or if it's actually reserving spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But where's the official source backing that up?  That's why I made this thread because I couldn't find any, and assumed that with so many people repeating that same thing over and over, someone must be able to provide it.

I've seen it described at least two different ways:

1. A map is soft capped when you get the "map is full" message but the cap will expand over time to the hard cap. 
  2. A map is soft capped when players no longer spawn into it on their own and is hard capped when they get the "map is full" message upon trying to join on someone.

The second definition is the one I find more plausible while the first is what I've been taking issue with as it's what I'm seeing spread around the most.  I've also seen players use anecdotal evidence to judge an instance population based on the miniatures being suppressed.

Edited by mythical.6315

20 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

I've heard there is something called "bottlenecked" which limits how many players can join an instance under a certain amount of time.

I found a Reddit post that stated they heard from some players who apparently were explained about bottle-necking by some devs. Unfortunately no official source so I’m cautious about it. 

Found another Reddit thread today on the subject of bottle-necking by the same person.  You'll have to scroll down into one of the collapsed threads.  Basically bottle-necking was a thing prior to squads as players would use parties to bring people over.  The people constantly joining and leaving the parties once they got into the instance caused issues.  This essentially went away with squads.

Edited by mythical.6315