Compile Your Minion Ideas Here

DeathsProphet.7460

The Hero: I'm on a quest to avenge the death of my Father!

The Paladin: You have my sword!

The Elf: And my bow!

The Dwarf: And my axe!

The Necromancer: And your father!

Ever since the days of GW1 I have enjoyed playing a minion master.  From maxing death magic to summon a Flesh Golem 14 levels higher than the player level cap, to sacrificing half my health to heal an army of 10+ minions, I have always appreciated this playstyle.  Fast forward to GW2 and we do have a few minion options.  Yet, the current minions play rather passively and lack thematic taste.   

Rather than designing entirely new elite specs (though I would always welcome new content), I would love to see Anet revisit old traits/playstyles and design new specs based on existing capital.  Specifically, I want to see a new Necro elite spec could utilize the existing minions while offering a more unique and active playstyle. 

Lich Shroud replaces Death Shroud and unlocks new skills used to command your minions.  While being in Lich Shroud does not automatically deplete your life force, each shroud skill has a static life force cost. 

F1: Recall Minions
F2: Guard/Passive Toggle
F3: Lich Shroud

Bounding Death: Order your minions to attack target enemy. They gain swiftness and fury for 5 seconds.
Grenth's Favor: Order your minions to target location. They gain protection and regeneration for 10 seconds.
Deathly Wail:  Order your minions to fear foes around them for 1s.  Duration stacks for each minion in range. Max duration of x. 
Order of Pain: For 15 seconds, your minion(s) gain might upon each successful attack. 
Life Transfer: For 15 seconds, your minion(s) steal health equal to their damage dealt upon each successful attack. 

Random Trait Ideas:

Gain access to Lich Shroud, gaining greater control over your minions. Your utility skills are usable in shroud.

Shroud skills heal you when activated. 

Order of Pain now applies quickness for 8 seconds upon activation. 

Deathly Wail now inflicts weakness on enemies and breaks stun for you if within earshot of minion(s).

Life force gain from all sources increases by 1% for each active minion you control.

Your minions gain protection and apply taunt when you fall below 50% health. 

Your minions take 25% of your incoming damage.

Minion skills now summon an additional minion of that type.  Activated abilities work on a charge system.  

Please add your minion ideas below.  I've seen numerous minion posts and it would be cool to compile all the different ideas in one place.  

Edited by DeathsProphet.7460
  • Like 2

Well... Personally, I'd prefer:

- Minions: They now behave more like fantasms, using a minion skill now summon an ephemeral minion that use a powerful skill before disappearing. (Obviously their effects now use the master stats)

- Blood fiend: This skill now heal you when you summon it then, shortly after this minion appear he will explode, draining life from the surrounding foe to you.

- Bone minion: Summon 2 rabid minions that move to their target before exploding.

- Flesh wurm: Teleport to the targeted area, leaving behind you a wurm that explode in a cloud of poison after a short time.

- Bone fiend: Summon a bone fiend that will immobilize your target before quickly rotting.

- Shadow fiend: Summon a shadow fiend that will teleport to your foe to deal damage and apply conditions before vanishing.

- Flesh golem: Summon a golem that will charge your foes before rotting and disappearing.

- Death magic:

- Armored shroud replaced by Summoner shroud: While in shroud summon a jagged horror every 3 seconds (first on entering shroud then 1 every 3s making desert shroud summon 3 of them over it's duration while sandstorm shroud will summon only 2 of them).

- Death nova: No longer summon a jagged horror when killing a foe.

- Flesh of the master: Renamed to Jagged bones. No longer increase minions health. Instead it make Minions spawn a jagged horror upon disappearing.

- Scourge:

• - Serpent siphon: Now work like reaper's "Rise!" and spawn up to 5 snake horrors that poison on hit. CD increased to 30s (max 5 snake horror, duration 30s).

- Harbinger:

• - Vital draw: If you are at or above the blight treshold consume that amount of blight to summon a blighted horror on hit that will inflict vulnerability on hit (max 5 blighted horror, duration 30s).

- General: Core necromancer Jagged horror cap raised to 10. Reaper, Scourge and harbinger stay capped at 5 as they would have access to a second category of minion (caped themselves at 5 as well) throught "Rise!", Serpent siphon and Vital draw.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
Changed to allow 10 minions max with variations for each e-spec.

Have a traits in Death Magic or other category that:

-Gives  minions a life-drain aura that heals the pet on pulse every couple of seconds.  And if the pet is full, the pulse goes to the caster as life force.

-Gives minions an active 'sacrifice' attack that they can do on command from the caster (kill the minion for maybe condi damage or debuffs) that scales similar to other abilities.

I would like Anet to improve the minion AI/pathing and the like.  But I don't think that would happen at this point. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see the Bone Horror model from GW1 reused.  Can't help but love the spiky club arm they smacked enemies with. I would also be okay with Skeletons or something "spookier."

New visuals could also be linked to traits.  E.g., bone minions now become bone horrors and gain increased damage, health, etc.  

Edited by DeathsProphet.7460

They now do realistic damage but act like mesmer phantoms 

they pop up > do a powerful attack or signature move> then go away

thats it.... 

give them good dps to reflect the change some minions maybe even get multi charge usage. 

Taking a  certain death magic trait removes their ability to hold multiple charges and reduces their damage but allows them to stay summoned.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:29 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well... Personally, I'd prefer:

- Minions: They now behave more like fantasms, using a minion skill now summon an ephemeral minion that use a powerful skill before disappearing. (Obviously their effects now use the master stats)

- Bone minion: Summon 2 rabid minions that move to their target before exploding.

Bone fiend: Summon a bone fiend that will immobilize your target before quickly rotting.

- Flesh golem: Summon a golem that will charge your foes before rotting and disappearing.

Ive been saying this bit for what feels like years now....

That said the bone minion needs to launch itself at your target now wobble hop (too many cases where it wont be able to hit for a one off skill)

Bone fiend might be better off as a (devourer) rapid projectile multi shooter with better velocity on its projectiles but get rid of the immobilize for like weaker cripple as a one off skill

The golem should be the only minion to have more than one effect instead of charging and knocking down multiple targets it knocks down the first target it hits if it misses then it just despawns... if it hits however it then mercilessly attacks that target for a few seconds dealing damage and applying several conditions or just make it explode... i just think it needs to be more than a line cc for a one off skill. I personally wouldnt use it if ever if it was just a one off line cc and thats it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably an Elite specialization with focus on buffing minions stats around power/condi (adding conditions to damage, or increase damage). Honestly, I was hoping Harbringer will fit this role... 

Rune set with bonuses for necromancers and minions (+ damage for minions, vitality/toughness for necromancer). 

Minions stat scalability from character stats. 

No timed summons and expendable summons except bone minions and Lich rune set summons. 

In fact, minion necromancer is good for open world PVE, but absolutely doesn't have any options for end-game PVE, which, in results, create a breakthrough in gameplay if player focus on minions till the end-game, and than need to learn his character from 0 (my personal experience, but I will always use minions because it's the only reason I've picked necromancer).

This coming from playing ESO pet sorcerer since release. While pet sorcerers in ESO is not a top level of possible DMG output, they still viable in PVE end-game.