Turret rework when?

Lily.1935

Back in the classic times of WvW I used to run a build where I could throw my turrets up onto tower and keep walls and have them fire on siege weapons that people had placed out of reach of AoE's. Then, if I was feeling especially mischevious, I'd put down my mortar elite and fire mortar shots at the siege as well. Turrets were also brilliant with the hi-explosive trait that would make them knockback when destroyed as I'd throw them up and blow them up to knock people off walls, it was great fun.

When those traits were removed in the talent system rework, I didn't realise just how far turrets would be torn up over the coming months. Right now they're essentially immobile, slow firing, low health pieces of junk that are highly susceptible to condition damage and it's really sad to see. 

I really hope they give them a rework to be used for more than just automated mob farmers.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

Never going to happen.  I don't have the quote but apparently A-net doesn't want Turrets to be good.

Tbh tho I do get the need for better turrets (and I'd love to play with turrets to support allies or fight enemies in WvW for example), anet changing them is both possible and impossible. 

Like they say no to pets in pvp and nerf necros, then introduce 2 specs with mega buffed pets. They say no to heavy shout healing BsW in the betas and then actually buff the healing through other means etc. 

Basically, when they say something is bad on a class, they reiterate it in a better way on another class without fixing the original, or simply leave it to rot. End result: you never get what you want for your class. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

For some reason, the pvp playerbase has unreasonable hate for ai skills.

Personally, I would like a turret rework that took inspiration for mechanist's Rocket Fist, i.e. instead of the turret attacking automatically, it attacked everytime you used your autoattack or something, with an icd, so they are less passive, and they stop the problem of afk farmers (not completely, there's still necro, rev and mech for that).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just give them powerful effects but they naturally decay over time. The player can use the wrench tool to keep them repaired/alive. Make the overcharge skill something meaningful that you can use on a CD so that there's some actual skill involved in playing with turrets and this means that if you give them back the ability to toss turrets then they can't put them in unreachable places (for melee) for long.

Turrets don't have to be bad, they just need someone to re look at the idea, consider the consequences and for the team surrounding it to be willing to make the time to implement those changes and test it/patch it for a few weeks/months after.

Will tossable turrets could be placed on WvW tower walls.. there's plenty of skills that go through doors and gates in WvW *cough* Rangers *cough* but atleast tossing a turret on top of a wall makes more sense than firing through a gate.

The only major challenge I can see here is.. a turret trait-line might have to be considered more seriously. Wrench in Tools and Turret Traits in Inventions may be something that holds these types of turret builds into a bunker roll that could make these builds annoying to play against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Random idea off the top of my head.

1. Turrets no longer auto fire

2. Now turrets can be mounted and the controlling playing can fire them with controls and have a simple rotation.

3. These turrets offer surprisingly good dps and has some protection from projectiles but are stationary and have fairly limited range. 

3a. Turrets specialize in burst damage over sustained damage.

4. Turrets themselves can be upgraded by the engineer by using the toolkit auto attack. These ad things like increased stats range and new attacks. However the hp of a turret slowly decays and will destroy itself if not maintained by an engineer.

5. Turrets changed to: 1. Rifle turret(close range area denial with some CC) 2. Rocket turret (long range artillery dps focused on sustained dps. As well as a healthy amount of condi dps) 3. Support station. (Very short range DPS. With main focus on boons and minor healing. Long range soft CC like immob and cripple) 

4.Healing turret. (Not man-able. Short range sustained healing and resource generation. Still can be upgraded but is very vulnerable.)

5. Supply crate stays the same.

Makes turrets more interesting and interactive. You can actually make a build out of them now and have several ways to do so. Solves the afk farming issue. Isn't AI spam in PvP, isn't free safe havens or free dps in raids, prob still wouldn't work for fractals. Might be an issue in WvW but that's a balancing issue more then anything.

Only real problem with it is spamming them and making city hubs more of a mess then they already are but I don't thinks that's a big problem.

Thought on the concept?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

2. Now turrets can be mounted and the controlling playing can fire them with controls and have a simple rotation.

This used to be mortar before they reworked it into a kit. No one liked the old mortar, it was so weak and had a minimum range away from the enemy before you could use it.

Personally, I think that Scourge has a lot of the right ideas that turrets should adopt. Them not lasting for 10 minutes or however long they last but rather closer to 15 seconds with a charge system so you can toss out multiple of the same one as well as have them scale with your stats could go a long way in making them more interesting. There is the other method of making them like Spirit weapons, but I'd prefer not to remove the AI like that as IMO Spirit weapons now are just not all that fun to use when before even though they were janky they were at least fun.

Anet isn't afraid to add more AI as we've seen with this expansion and even before that with the Lesser Elemental change for Elementalist which allows you to have 3-4 of them out at a time. Not the most effective build but it is good enough to just barely be passable.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Rosiep.9128 said:

Back in the classic times of WvW I used to run a build where I could throw my turrets up onto tower and keep walls and have them fire on siege weapons that people had placed out of reach of AoE's. Then, if I was feeling especially mischevious, I'd put down my mortar elite and fire mortar shots at the siege as well. Turrets were also brilliant with the hi-explosive trait that would make them knockback when destroyed as I'd throw them up and blow them up to knock people off walls, it was great fun.

When those traits were removed in the talent system rework, I didn't realise just how far turrets would be torn up over the coming months. Right now they're essentially immobile, slow firing, low health pieces of junk that are highly susceptible to condition damage and it's really sad to see. 

I really hope they give them a rework to be used for more than just automated mob farmers.

I miss the creativeness of engies back then. The reason I was so excited to main one.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I mean, turrets and spirit weapons were already very similar. One got a useful rework and the other was nerfed into the ground. Making turrets something that you deploy, perform a job, and then automatically detonate would be great. They could still be traited to apply boons and reflect bubbles this way as well. 

Honestly, I would be completely ok if, for the next expansion, they completely reworked all core classes instead of introducing new elite specs.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 10:32 AM, Shaogin.2679 said:

I mean, turrets and spirit weapons were already very similar. One got a useful rework and the other was nerfed into the ground. Making turrets something that you deploy, perform a job, and then automatically detonate would be great. They could still be traited to apply boons and reflect bubbles this way as well. 

Honestly, I would be completely ok if, for the next expansion, they completely reworked all core classes instead of introducing new elite specs.

I actually really dislike spirit weapons as they are now. Of them I only ever see one being used while the others might have niche use in PvP, but nowhere else. Maybe the hammer? But even then its not great.

Turrets being like that would be a way to do it, as I said, but not my preferred method or one I think would really help them overall. Some of them, maybe, but its always a question of "Can this compete with kits?" which, often times is no.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:32 AM, Shaogin.2679 said:

I'm definitely late to reading this thread again, but the sentence above may be the best & wisest thing I've read on these forums in weeks. 

Kudos to you, good sir :classic_cool:

• Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, Duglaive.5236 said:

I'm definitely late to reading this thread again, but the sentence above may be the best & wisest thing I've read on these forums in weeks. 

Kudos to you, good sir :classic_cool:

I heartily second this. Either rework core classes or perhaps take the courageous step of treating elites as separate classes. Hobbling core abilities because they over perform when stacked on top of elite specs is just lazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My input to this:

The Engineers turrets are  actually a copy from the ones out of Team Fortress except they deleted the overheat mechanic similar how necro lost in Gw2 the need of dead bodies for summon undead creatures.

This leads me for the reason the turrets got nerved in vanilla because they were an afk way to fight in pvp so to speak. Necro got its minions nerfed too countless time => no down side to it. Ah this reminds with stealth/thief in this game works similar hardly anything can counter it.

Anyway the laziest way to fix this would be giving turrets the overheat mechanic then you can buff them.

By the way this would also solve the afk farm blobs I saw one some maps in the past.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, Lily.1935 said:

Its been like, what? 8 years since turrets were good and even their old version couldn't survive in today's environment and its such a massive draw to the class. When can we get a rework on this highly beloved skill type?

The devs need to watch an example of Engineer class from Dragon Nest mmo.

The Towers (the turrets name in that game) have limited duration but deal damage and scale physical damage. They also have relocating ability where its Specialization as Gearmaster class, they can teleport all summoned Towers to their location if the raid boss is mobile.

Not only that, they have mechanic mode which, similar to Engineer kit all equipped Towers become main weapon utility. So you can also disperse damage as much as the tower.

Also they spawn limited duration ducks. Little damage but good cc.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, Dante.1508 said:

This thread is why Engi will never get better... Afk farmer blah blah blah, PvP nerfs blah blah.. what a joke.

Funnily though devs can make different types of turrets that exclusive to pve only. like how underwater some turrets cannot work there.

• Like 1