Would like opinion on gem spending

I've been saving lots of gold and turning it to gems when the price is low. I have about 2k gems currently.

I was thinking of saving till I had enough for volatile tools but I'm having second thoughts and could use some opinions.

First, I wanted the volatile tools cause apparently VM can be used to buy some kind of box that has good gold return cause it has a variety of trophies. But the little jade bot already gives me those trophies and the box is 1 gold. Which I don't think I'd make back with that box. Is there really a profit to be made from volatile magic?

Second, I wanted to get this cool Astral outfit but it apparently only sells for those black lion statuette things. So I was thinking of instead buying 30 of those keys. Anyone know of the Astral outfit will appear in the black lion merchant stock and how much it's worth? 30 I don't mind but anything further and F that. Also, opening 30 boxes have any real chance of a useful drop? I remember opening like 60 fun time boxes or whatever they were called and got all garbage, not one useful drop.

Finally, I was also considering the cyber skycale which apparently costs like 2k anyhow. Any idea on when that gets returned?

Anywho. Those are my three considerations to spend the gems on. I can't afford to buy gems with real money cause I live in Brazil and the dollar is F-ing expensive. So it's all gold I get from doing fractals and crafting. So it takes a while to get gold and took a long while to get all those gems. I just want to make sure whatever of the 3 options I spend it on will be worth that huge grind. It just takes me a very long time to get these gems and I honestly don't want to just up and waste them on something I'll regret later. I wish Anet would add international values or something to lower the gem costs but it's just obscene here. Even their supposed "discount cards" were complete BS. I work full time to support two brothers, one fresh off Ukraine, and cant afford to go spending money on something trivial like gems.

All input is welcome, including if I should spend the gems on something else instead. I mostly go for cosmetics or something with gold return. Thank you.

My 2 cents:

1. All Unlimited Tools are for convenient sake. The return is super low compared to price. You would need to gather thousands to hundred thousands times to get back the original value. (IDK, I never counted, but you get the idea).

2. Black Lion Keys appears on Sale from time to time. You can buy them on sale price and stock them up until  something you want is on Black Lion Chest or Statuette Trader.

3. If you have old characters, they would get Black Lion Statuette from Birthday Gifts, you should check how many you have first.

4. Returning items come up randomly. Check on this thread [News] Gemstore items: new/returned/sales - Page 72 - Guild Wars 2 Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Forums. Black Lion Statuette Trader refreshes its stock (I believe) following Black Lion Chest item updates.

5. If you can wait, Anniversary Sales is coming in August for better value. There are 2 big sales per year, Anniversary Sales and March Sales. And smaller festival sales and non recurring ones from time to time.

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Horus.8304 said:

I work full time to support two brothers, one fresh off Ukraine, and cant afford to go spending money on something trivial like gems.

But then... dont? You dont need the cosmetics. You dont need the tools. Why spend so much time thinking about it. Unless its a 0.001% chance lucky BL drop you will never gain from trying to farm gold for gems. Better to make legendaries if you're in a perpetual cycle of farming gold to do... something.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

I only ever buy things on sale. Sales usually happen march and August. 

VM tools, I bought these in the last sale and don't regret it. I gather around 10k VM per week and roughly make about 30 - 60% profit buying trophy shipments and selling the contents. This can vary depending on the mats. However they are more of a convenience and unless you have shared inventory slots it's going to be extremely annoying switching between characters. 

As for cosmetics, this is your choice. They all no value to your experience other than possibly looking "cool". As a prime example, when I get my children gems, it usually goes on skins because that's what they like. 🙂

Basically, you decide what makes the game fun for you and spend your gems on that. I prefer buying utility stuff, like shared inventory slots, material storage, bank tab expansion etc... And occasionally blc keys because you will be swimming in blc. The only other things I would say about blc keys is that each one will guarantee you at least one black lion statue. You can redeem these when you have enough for gathering tools, home instance nodes, outfits, armour sets, weapon skins and many more things that rotate when the Devs decide it's time. 

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Edited by Tiamat.8254
Typos
  • Like 2

VM tools is one of the best buys in the game, next to the copper fed salvage kit. Only spend on account upgrades during sales - bank/bag/shared slots ect all come on sale and are much cheaper. All very useful to get and more important then black lion keys by far. Honestly keys should be something people only go for after their account is maxed  on upgrades as permanent upgrades are a lot more effective then random luck chance of getting a gold. People have opened thousands of them and not seen a contract. It would have been better for them to just buy them with gold after 10 years of trying. However, as you want statuette's hopefully you have some alts that are old for some free, or do map completes, as you want that skin now the statues do rotate, which means to get it later will cost gems or statues again. 

Silverfed and Runecrafters salvage kits are great too, Rune crafters eventually pays for itself from the extra drops and silverfed drops a lot more ecto's as its a mystic salvage kit that doesn't run out. 

I use the world boss portal device often that it paid for itself quite fast, tells you whenever a boss spawn happens even for IBS bosses and ports you even to contested waypoints. Mag portal not as useful as its much less area's and if you know those area timers it essentially does next to nothing. 

Cosmetics quite often can be gained over time, quite often there is bundles or in game ways or Twitch prime methods to get things free or for less. (Like a chair currently on Twitch prime for free). Unless you really really like the look of them and want them now, waiting always gets them cheaper. (or in this case, for statuette's you can save up over time free, or as you really like it, then that does server a case for buying key's, just remember, its extremely unlikely anything good drops from the keys themselves) 

Tbh, I think the best is shared slots, I love having all the portal scrolls in there and black lion daily chest drops/salvage kits/devices/portable position rewinder ect. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farming gold to buy gems to farm gold seems like a waste. I wouldn't get the tools.

For Black Lion Chest keys? Once a week you can level a character to 10 and do the personal story for one. You also have ~30% chance to get one from (Non-City or South Shore) map completion. If you don't have an empty character slot, buying one for this would be cheaper. Make a new character each week, do the personal story for the key and a complete a few maps, should get a few keys each week this way.

I'd suggest the Cyber Skyscale from your choices.

Since buying gems is not realistic for you, it's best to limit your choices to things that have no other option but to use Gems. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Xelqypla.6817 said:

Farming gold to buy gems to farm gold seems like a waste. I wouldn't get the tools.

I fully agree with that analysis even if I disagree with the conclusion--for myself.

What gems are for is fun and convenience, not short-term profit. Buying trophy-boxes at 1 gold a pop brings me roughly 1.5 gold off the tp. Will that ever pay back the gold spent on the ~2.1k gems? Maybe in a couple of years. What I really bought is the convenience of never running out of tools. The VM is gravy.

• Like 1

Just to make sure, the skyscale or any mount in the store is just a skin, not a mount. You can buy them even if you don't have the mount, but can't do anything with them until you unlock the mount.

I echo many of the previous statements. Focus gem purchases on QoL items first, like copper salvage-o-matic, storage expansion, etc, and preferably when they are on sale since your gem acquisition is limited. Cosmetics are nice, until you tire of them, since all you can do is change colors.

And do the weekly key run if possible. Only takes maybe 30 minutes. I prefer human-noble, but you can mix it up if you want variety. Save up the statues, and save the keys for when something you like is in the chests, like a mount skin. Odds are you won't get them, but there's a chance. I spent 6 keys on the current chest to get the backpack & glider, so it does happen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harfang.1507 said:

I fully agree with that analysis even if I disagree with the conclusion--for myself.

What gems are for is fun and convenience, not short-term profit. Buying trophy-boxes at 1 gold a pop brings me roughly 1.5 gold off the tp. Will that ever pay back the gold spent on the ~2.1k gems? Maybe in a couple of years. What I really bought is the convenience of never running out of tools. The VM is gravy.

Oh, yeah, definitely.

$50 giftcard from work got me Infinite (spirit) gathering and Thousand seas pavilion recently. But I am at a time and place where I can throw money at worthless crap. If something comes up that I really want, I can just throw money at it.

In a situation where real cash is tight? I'd only spend Gems on things that I have no other way of getting.

• Like 1

Alright so there was a bit of contest regarding VM. Some are saying it has value, others not, but I'm getting that it does have some value but it's mostly from convenience and a margin of gold return that stacks after a prolonged investment time. Either way, I'll put that down on the "Buy only during sales" list and by end of the year I should have more than enough to buy them when they pop up.

In regards to "Save gold for legendaries": I have zero interest in them. I don't like the MC and Laurel grind, and the overall "gold cost" of one(rather crafted or bought) is in the thousands. I originally was thinking about it, then I went to see how much gold it needed and the number was just offputting. Not to mention I need stuff from PVP and I hate that to the point its demoralizing. I much rather put the gold into gems because I honestly play this game very "casually" so its all cosmetics and "quality of life". I much rather spend the gold on more gathered items space, the mistwhatever pass thingy, or just another cool skin for my skyscale.

The reason I asked about the keys is because of the Astral skin thingy that the statue guy sells. It looked cool and I'd be willing to invest in some keys for it. If I had a set date on it, like "Yeah, the guy will sell the astral skin on July 20th" or something. I could do the math on how many keys I could get from the "Level 10 storyline reward" till then and just buy out the remainder. The issue is that it seems like there's no real "set date" for a lot of this stuff. Like the Cyberscale which I was also interested in or VM tools. It makes it annoying cause Keys are on sale but its useless to buy them if the astral skin will only be up like at the end of the year when I can easily just grind the level 10 key once a week and have more than enough needed for it then. 

Thank you all the input though. I think I'll save all the gems and just keep saving till the august sales are underway. By then I'll have a whole lot more gems to have fun with and just splurge on it all.

Edited by Horus.8304
  • Like 2

IMO There are 3 categories of items
1) Quality of Life (aka QoL, e.g. shared slots, mistlock sanctuary permanent pass, unlimited tool with proper glyph, copper salvage tool)
2) Cosmetic (outfit, mount skin etc): buy if you like them, and already have QoL stuffs (or don't care about QoL stuffs)
3) Blacklion exclusive (including cosmetic)

I ignore (3) as I don't support their kitten blacklion kitten (I can farm key slowly via map completion)

2 hours ago, Horus.8304 said:

Thank you all the input though. I think I'll save all the gems and just keep saving till the august sales are underway. By then I'll have a whole lot more gems to have fun with and just splurge on it all.

Glad we were of help. On a down note, waiting for August maybe setting yourself up for disappointment. The anniversary sale was great for several years in row and then 2021 was . . . a wash. Nevertheless, I believe you are making the right choice. Just keep checking the website every Tuesday to see what's coming.

Regarding legendaries, you do not need sPvP, only WvW for the Gift of Battle. Yes, that is a form of PvP, but if you do your research, it may turn out to be surprisingly painless with almost no direct PvP confrontation! It makes completing dailies even more efficient than just limiting yourself to PvE ones. That is, if you are into doing dailies.

BTW, there is a guy out there, 'shaman' something, that apparently has a surprisingly accurate list of what will come to the BL trading company, at least outside the three big sales of the year.

Boa sorte.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Horus.8304 said:

Alright so there was a bit of contest regarding VM. Some are saying it has value, others not, but I'm getting that it does have some value but it's mostly from convenience and a margin of gold return that stacks after a prolonged investment time. Either way, I'll put that down on the "Buy only during sales" list and by end of the year I should have more than enough to buy them when they pop up.

In regards to "Save gold for legendaries": I have zero interest in them. I don't like the MC and Laurel grind, and the overall "gold cost" of one(rather crafted or bought) is in the thousands. I originally was thinking about it, then I went to see how much gold it needed and the number was just offputting. Not to mention I need stuff from PVP and I hate that to the point its demoralizing. I much rather put the gold into gems because I honestly play this game very "casually" so its all cosmetics and "quality of life". I much rather spend the gold on more gathered items space, the mistwhatever pass thingy, or just another cool skin for my skyscale.

The reason I asked about the keys is because of the Astral skin thingy that the statue guy sells. It looked cool and I'd be willing to invest in some keys for it. If I had a set date on it, like "Yeah, the guy will sell the astral skin on July 20th" or something. I could do the math on how many keys I could get from the "Level 10 storyline reward" till then and just buy out the remainder. The issue is that it seems like there's no real "set date" for a lot of this stuff. Like the Cyberscale which I was also interested in or VM tools. It makes it annoying cause Keys are on sale but its useless to buy them if the astral skin will only be up like at the end of the year when I can easily just grind the level 10 key once a week and have more than enough needed for it then. 

The only thing required from PvP for legendaries are Shards of Glory, but those are dirt cheap on the TP.  From WvW, you have to have a stack of Memory of Battle and a Gift of Battle.  The MoB, you'll get some from the Gift of Battle reward track and, though more expensive, are also available on the TP like the Shards of Glory.  The Gift of Battle reward track can be completed with Potions of WvW rewards, which you can get from WvW dailies.  There is at least one WvW daily that can be completed without even seeing another person in WvW almost every day - like Big Spender, Master of Monuments, Veteran Creature Killer, and Caravan Disruptor.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I don’t mind spending money on the game, it’s a hobby and I think people spend just as much or way more on other hobbies they enjoy. I like making new toons, I can’t be bothered levelling them all up again as I’ve levelled every profession before so I often use L80 boosts, then turning gens to gold and gearing them up off the trading post, buying transmutes for the gear, collecting new skins, minis and dyes from the trading post, the occasional cool outfit or glider. I’m no whale by any means and I still consider myself a casual player after all this time but I don’t mind putting money into the game if it means it supports it and keeps the servers running. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Okay. Hear me out. If you've literally never bought anything from the gem store before, one of the most fun things you can buy, dollar-for-dollar, is…

Another character slot.

Right now, if you've got a baseline paid account, you've got, like, 5 slots? But there are 9 base character classes. So a new character slot opens up the ability to develop a whole new character without having to delete anything. A whole new playstyle, especially in SPvP/WvW; another character you can customize for Fashion Wars; like a hundred traits + skills to explore.

• Like 1

Ive bought storage, cosmetics, a permanent airship pass which is very convenient especially if you alt alot. It cuts down on load times and back and forth. 1 or 2 shared slots for the pass and the copperfed or silverfed salvage bots. Again wait for a sale but the pass, salvage bot, and storage have been the most useful for me.