Untamed Question

Akisohida.8963

I made a ranger to Soulbeast, and I was VERY disappointed in it. Maybe because I use a Shortbow with Condi damage, and let my pet tank, which was removed with Soulbeast so I was getting squished?

Anyways; if I went Untamed; I noted a some traits depend on Strike damage, or increase Strike damage. So I'm wondering; can I use it with a Shortbow instead of going Hammer? Can I stick with Condi damage over Strike damage? Or should I rebuy all my gear to do Strike damage instead?

• Confused 2

Hi

It may sounds harsh, but your best option is to learn how to use soulbeast if you want to be damage dealer.

For untamed, you can do condition build. unleashing your pet gives you damage reduction and can block projectiles. 
If you want condition untamed, focus on poison, but as you mentioned, there is no bonus for conditions. You only get 1 skill with condition on it, and it is the spore. 

So for my experience, I can do about 2/3 at most, but usually not even half of the damage with untamed as I do with soulbeast. And I share stances too.

• Like 5

I'd just make a druid if you want to go the condition route, as at least then you can build around ancient seeds.  

In all honesty, I'm not sure how you'd build a condition based untamed as everything it has at the moment is geared towards power.  What I'm considering trying is celestial as then you can hybridize.  

16 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

Hi

It may sounds harsh, but your best option is to learn how to use soulbeast if you want to be damage dealer.

For untamed, you can do condition build. unleashing your pet gives you damage reduction and can block projectiles. 
If you want condition untamed, focus on poison, but as you mentioned, there is no bonus for conditions. You only get 1 skill with condition on it, and it is the spore. 

So for my experience, I can do about 2/3 at most, but usually not even half of the damage with untamed as I do with soulbeast. And I share stances too.

I just did not have the survivability to do Soulbeast. If my pet is not there to pull aggro; I die in seconds.

Plus, allot of the Shortbow skills do extra damage while flanking, which I cannot do without a pet.

Add to that the fact that slotting Soulbeast removes my ability to hot-swap pets in combat, so I can't switch if one dies, and I'm just an easy target who does LESS damage due to inability to flank.

13 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I'd just make a druid if you want to go the condition route, as at least then you can build around ancient seeds.  

In all honesty, I'm not sure how you'd build a condition based untamed as everything it has at the moment is geared towards power.  What I'm considering trying is celestial as then you can hybridize.  

Never mind, I was overlooking it. I found what Ancient Seeds are.

Edited by Akisohida.8963
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

For PvE Soulbeast ofc is best for dmg.

But in PvP/WvW Untamed very much have a role, not as a super high dmg trait tree, but as a more defensive/utility trait tree. 
If you go condi you go 3/3/1. Untamed brings nice cover conditions and boon rip from the pet unleashed skills.
Blinding Outburst gives you access to some very juicy and spammy instant blinds.

When you run untamed as condi you don't care much about being unleashed youself, so you enjoy the 15% reduced strike dmg + sustain from ambush attacks. 
Untamed also comes with stronger pets then druid, both because they don't have the 25% stat reduction, but also because you can control when key skills are used.

54 minutes ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

But in PvP/WvW Untamed very much have a role, not as a super high dmg trait tree, but as a more defensive/utility trait tree. 
If you go condi you go 3/3/1. Untamed brings nice cover conditions and boon rip from the pet unleashed skills.
Blinding Outburst gives you access to some very juicy and spammy instant blinds.

When you run untamed as condi you don't care much about being unleashed youself, so you enjoy the 15% reduced strike dmg + sustain from ambush attacks. 
Untamed also comes with stronger pets then druid, both because they don't have the 25% stat reduction, but also because you can control when key skills are used.

Yeah, think I'm just stuck on all the utility a druid brings for most game types; not as high of damage as SB in PvE but does give you pet access, shortbow, bleeds everywhere, CC everywhere, instant cleanse, stealth (if need to escape)--etc. etc.

Which is why I kind of envision a celestial hybrid for Untamed if going conditions, that way could get the most out of shortbow through conditions (as shortbow power damage is awful), and still bring hammer to get cc's and direct damage in.  Guess you could do shorbow/GS as a 'better' alternative but I for some reason really like hammer.

Anyway, just my two cents 😃

11 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Yeah, think I'm just stuck on all the utility a druid brings for most game types; not as high of damage as SB in PvE but does give you pet access, shortbow, bleeds everywhere, CC everywhere, instant cleanse, stealth (if need to escape)--etc. etc.

Which is why I kind of envision a celestial hybrid for Untamed if going conditions, that way could get the most out of shortbow through conditions (as shortbow power damage is awful), and still bring hammer to get cc's and direct damage in.  Guess you could do shorbow/GS as a 'better' alternative but I for some reason really like hammer.

Anyway, just my two cents 😃

oh yeah for sure, I do love playing druid aswell, and totally get you 🙂

I just wanted to add in that I do think Untamed is valid for a condition setup, in special because the core weapons and traits of Ranger allready create solid condition builds.

I'm sure celestial hybrid untamed is valid, I mostly do sPvP these days and celestial sadly aint a thing there.

2 hours ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

If someone use the pet to tank, I think it means PvE 😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

I just did not have the survivability to do Soulbeast. If my pet is not there to pull aggro; I die in seconds.

Plus, allot of the Shortbow skills do extra damage while flanking, which I cannot do without a pet.

Add to that the fact that slotting Soulbeast removes my ability to hot-swap pets in combat, so I can't switch if one dies, and I'm just an easy target who does LESS damage due to inability to flank.

Kill everything before they hit you. 😄  (well, if you were that effective, soulbeast wasn't  a problem)
Actually you can flank, just need to circle around the mob.  
If your pet died, merge it, dodge dodge, unmerge. Or use defensive pets that gives you invulnerable. 

Well, untamed is very sturdy in pve. healing skill give you undying, elite gives damage reduction, while the pet is unleashed it gives another damage reduction. 
for short bow: skirmis 1-3-2 or 3-3-2 (for traps), pet tanking so beastmastery 2-3-1 untamed 3-3-1 (cd reduction) or 3-3-3 (extra damage and some speed). 
use spores, viper's nest, sharpening stones. 

4 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

Kill everything before they hit you. 😄  (well, if you were that effective, soulbeast wasn't  a problem)
Actually you can flank, just need to circle around the mob.  
If your pet died, merge it, dodge dodge, unmerge. Or use defensive pets that gives you invulnerable. 

Well, untamed is very sturdy in pve. healing skill give you undying, elite gives damage reduction, while the pet is unleashed it gives another damage reduction. 
for short bow: skirmis 1-3-2 or 3-3-2 (for traps), pet tanking so beastmastery 2-3-1 untamed 3-3-1 (cd reduction) or 3-3-3 (extra damage and some speed). 
use spores, viper's nest, sharpening stones. 

Not going to lie; I don't get what the numbers are.

Is that skill rotation?

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:00 AM, Akisohida.8963 said:

I made a ranger to Soulbeast, and I was VERY disappointed in it. Maybe because I use a Shortbow with Condi damage, and let my pet tank, which was removed with Soulbeast so I was getting squished?

Anyways; if I went Untamed; I noted a some traits depend on Strike damage, or increase Strike damage. So I'm wondering; can I use it with a Shortbow instead of going Hammer? Can I stick with Condi damage over Strike damage? Or should I rebuy all my gear to do Strike damage instead?

This is just such a bizarre thing to say. If you're on Soulbeast and want your pet to tank, send it out to tank. It's doesn't hide the pet away. If anything it makes the pet more hardy as it effectively removes pet death penalties. If you're keeping the pet merged permentantly, even when you're struggling, then you're playing the spec wrong. Spec into beastmastery, put on the pet taunt trait and your complaint is immediately solved. You don't even need BM to achieve this. Just don't go perma-merged.

I hate to say this because I hate the phrase, but it really is a l2p issue.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1