I know nothing about WvW, where to start.

shion.2084

I read the GW2 wiki here.... but it doesn't really get much into strategy and what I should be doing.

I log into maps and can't find anyone.  I run about in an empty desert.  Sometimes I jump off a cliff and die...sometimes it does nothing but a big blast sound....   

I generally try to head towards places where there is a combat symbol... often by the time I get there everyone is gone.

I know this sounds rather pathetic... but I just don't get how people have fun.  I think I am on the Maguma server... if that makes sense.

If I get lucky I find a group of 1 -3 people who think they can kill me and get some bags... that I have to walk over to pick up (rather than them just getting added to my inventory).   
If they get me... well then its a bloody long walk again.

Sometimes I stand on uncontested circles and watch the colour change.... meh.

I would like to say... spend 30 min a day playing... can you do that in WvW or is it a multi hour epic?

I'd ultimately like too get a gift of battle so I can finish a legendary... but apparently you have to go through some reward track.  I swear you used to be able to turn in some tickets or something.

I was hoping there'd be a sticky here in the form on what the hell to do in WvW... or how to best get through a reward track so you can leave WvW.   Anyone got a suggestion of what to read?

Edited by shion.2084
  • Thanks 2

I did... but it doesn't really tell me the profitable things to do.  How to group up with people.   What the rotation of activities should potentially be.

It does tell me that if I want my reward track I've got to skirmish (how do I find people and not too many people to kill), and "participate' which there's some formula I have too work out to gain tiers in that... and seems pretty hard if your not with a group (that I can't find).

Errr... does that help clarify?   I kind of want a "guide" for what to actually be doing when you show up.  Should I just be running to the border and chasing combat symbols?   Standing on red circles to change their colour... or walking very far to kill some NPCs to get a temple..... or running back and forth from the supply area to hammer on a wall  for  how long... doesn't seem to be very interesting.   I'm assuming I'm playing 'wrong'.  So how do you play right?

Hey I was in your shoes last summer when I actually joined WvW, saw people and content, and now primarily play WvW.

My advice, queue for Eternal Battle grounds if you are looking for the bigger battles, or one of the off maps if you want to solo roam in the middle.  Youl have to learn by doing.  Most people have been playing this game mode for years and just have seen it all and know it all and not really into explaining.  Also there are very few videos on WvW aside from showing off pushes ect.  

Good thing with so many people playing but burned out on the game mode, no one really cares if you do something wrong.  

Simply following the pack, and asking questions in Map chat should be enough to grasp the game mode, its really not that complicated but there are a lot of maps and areas so it can be hard to find people and action if you dont know where to look

Edited by StrangerDanger.3496
  • Thanks 1

Ok let's unpackage this...

1. You're on maguuma, they're known to avoid desert map and camp out in eternal battle grounds, so stick to ebg.

2. Maguuma is also known to not have tags up, usually, they're mostly self sufficient players that hunt in packs or cloud fight(spread out hit and run).

3. They'll have stonemist castle most of the time, so that's kind of a safe spot for you to get fights around it, and they're aggressive so if you're lucky at the times they are camping all the way to enemy spawns, you can get in some tags on kills there for participation.

4. Wvw is a sandbox mode, it's not like a pve map meta where events are timed, a lot of random things can happen and it's mostly because of players, you just need to figure out the map, many times you can see where an attack is going to happen just by what is currently being contested or flipped, sentry flipped? ok nearby camp or tower might get some activity next. Or simply recap your own sides stuff, you just lost a tower, ok well in 5 mins(RI Invul) your side will mostly likely try to get it back.

5. Time zone, if you're NA east prime time 8-11 you should see a lot of action, rest of the day might be smaller or roaming fights.

6. There's autoloot in the mastery lines, you need HoT, under the provisions master, you'll need 20 points(ranks basically).

7. Run the Gift of battle reward track, use to be able to buy it with badges years ago but they changed it to a reward track, need to keep your participation up by doing stuff, kill guards, kill players, cap stuff(the ring you're standing in to capture the objective), etc. Stack some boosters, it'll take 6-8 hours to finish the track. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track

8. If you don't have your mount, well try to get it, or stick close to those that have it as they most likely have the aura to boost your speed as well, or use mobility skills.

9. If you need a group, ask in team chat and maybe some un-tagged groups are running, or maybe another roamer is going around taking stuff and maybe you could tag along, (I don't know how receptive mag will be on that tho as they tend to be "rough" to everyone).

10. WvW becomes fun once you figure out how it works(flow of the map, flow of fights) and what you like to do(ppt or fight or defend or roam or scout etc), and basically how your server runs (when they have people on, how they fight, how they respond to calls etc). There's a learning experience you need to go through, just as you would as you did when you leveled 1-80, or if you jumped into fractals, or raids, or a map meta for the first time.

Good luck.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Thanks 1

Im sorry you are on the Maguma Sever. If you have the money I would try to jump to a new server ASAP if you want to enjoy WvW, but it sounds like you just want to get in and get out for the Gift of Battle. Id encourage you to play more WvW as it is kitten fun

MAG=Maguma

EBG = Eternal Battlegrounds. They (MAG) like to stay on EBG.

SMC = Stone Mist Castle. Mag loves SMC more than anything else in the game and will fight with all their Maguumy bear might to take it and hold it for the whole week.

Ive heard that MAG chat is pretty Toxic, so you might not get a lot of help from them. This is just hearsay as I have never been on MAG.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Have a solo-capable roaming build and also a zerging build (either full DPS or full support unless u need marauder training wheels to get used to DPS)

Roam around when there is no tag/try to get better at your WvW pvp matchups and take camps

Run with tag when there is one

Probably more likely to find a tag in EBG

Edit: fellow maguuman here, its not terrible if you can put up with the banter. Ebg does get boring during primetime as the entire map turns your colour.

Edited by solemn.9608

49 minutes ago, AlCapwnd.7834 said:

Im sorry you are on the Maguma Sever. If you have the money I would try to jump to a new server ASAP if you want to enjoy WvW, but it sounds like you just want to get in and get out for the Gift of Battle. Id encourage you to play more WvW as it is kitten fun

MAG=Maguma

EBG = Eternal Battlegrounds. They (MAG) like to stay on EBG.

SMC = Stone Mist Castle. Mag loves SMC more than anything else in the game and will fight with all their Maguumy bear might to take it and hold it for the whole week.

Ive heard that MAG chat is pretty Toxic, so you might not get a lot of help from them. This is just hearsay as I have never been on MAG.

keep in mind MAG can mean the server, but also the guild.

Chat isnt as toxic as when leadership of MAG was always on, the guild seems to me just some NPC players who dont chat these days, which is fine, though if leaders are on and trying things can quickly turn into what you would expect in other games sadly.   Really even with the elites on being cranky the chat is not bad at all, and almost always in good nature.  Mostly the chat is just intel or fawning over some old famous player that never plays anymore.

Maguuma is all about the hive mind, which sucks when your new, but super fun once you get how everyone operates.

There are WvW guilds who do not operate on elitism on maguuma.  

Ive had plenty of fun, without a guild, and learning in EBG on the server, just expect when some people are on the game will not feel like GW2 community..

Also biggest gripe of the server, these people have spent WAY too much time with eachother.  Its very awkward the way people talk about famous people on the server, who youll likely never see on, and never interact with.  A lot of history on that server it seems and its super strange to see everyone talking about people who dont really play much anymore.

Take complaints about maguuma with a grain of salt.  Once you sort of settle into the servers vibe, and how they work, its an absolutely awesome experience.  Just dont swap servers to try to join the MAG guild and be PVP famous, i feel like a lot of people do this, then get pissed at the server, switch to another, and complain.

Id rather be on mag and deal with a few cranky and salty elites than be on a server that doesnt bother to try and gives up quick.

Edited by StrangerDanger.3496
  • Thanks 1

Try joining a helpful WvW community. Could ask around in mapchat for it, I would go to EB for that ( Eternal Battlegrounds). Best way is to get help ingame,and follow the people around that do know the game mode so you can get a feel of what to do.  Follow Open tags around if you can find any, I dont know your server since Im from EU but if you have a hard time even finding open tags, you might wanna switch to another server that does.

You won't learn it all in a day,but there's lots to do,but i can understand it might seem "dead" or underwhelming when youre new and cant find a thing to do and being ganked only when you run around, nor have a clue on what to do and why to even do it. So yes, join a WvW community guild, dont join the tryhard Guilds "yet" that Raid around because they mostly already expect you to know what to do.

Edited by Caedmon.6798