Adding ranged attack to Reaper's Shroud.

Nabbut.7480

Main downside of a Reaper's Shroud is it's lack of range, which makes certain champion and player fights, where you cannot get into their face, much more difficult/unwinnable. You have to pop shroud to not get downed and then you cannot deal damage!

My proposition is to replace 4 Soul Spiral which is basically more of a 1 Life Rend redundant with a Scythe Throw: send a spinning scythe that flies to it's target and then returns, doing area damage and chilling on it's way. Range can be reasonably high, like 1200, and it can have charges.

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

You have to pop shroud to not get downed and then you cannot deal damage!

It just mean that your choice of build was wrong for this encounter.

You could have very well sloted blood bank and could enjoy some amount of barrier allowing you to deal damage while out of shroud as a reaper. Or you could have chosen to play core necromancer, harbinger or even Scourge for this encounter.

9 hours ago, paShadoWn.5723 said:

Main downside of a Reaper's Shroud is it's lack of range, which makes certain champion and player fights, where you cannot get into their face, much more difficult/unwinnable. You have to pop shroud to not get downed and then you cannot deal damage!

Weird ...other classes don't have to pop shroud to not get downed. 

That's my fancy way of saying if you are popping shroud to avoid being downed, you aren't using it right. Big no from me on the ranged attack idea. Why does Reaper Shroud 2 even exist then?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

You'd be better off asking for quality of life update on core necro's Life Blast than this.  They aren't likely to add a ranged attack to a shroud made to play in melee.  I say this because there are some quite boring skills in the game and Life blast and Orb of Wrath are two which instantly come to mind that could use a bit of a tune up in terms of flair.

7 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Weird ...other classes don't have to pop shroud to not get downed. 

That's my fancy way of saying if you are popping shroud to avoid being downed, you aren't using it right. Big no from me on the ranged attack idea. Why does Reaper Shroud 2 even exist then?

I agree and disagree.

For open world and pvp it's very much valid to use shroud as a defensive tool. Especially if you look at the other limited defensive options Necro has. (No blocks, evades, invulns,...)

Even in endgame content such as strikes, T4 fractals and raids its very valid to use shroud defensive if a certain condition is met.

For example:

You failed a mechanic and the boss is about to down the whole group, but you can prevent being downed by using shroud as a defensive tool, then Rez your whole squad and beat the boss. Otherwise you have to start over again.

Necro isn't as easy to play as many people think.

If you want to bee good at Necro, you have to know, what hits you can take with your health, what hits you maybe have to use your shroud on, even though it will lower your DMG output, and what attacks you have to outplay with movement.

8 hours ago, Nimon.7840 said:

I agree and disagree.

For open world and pvp it's very much valid to use shroud as a defensive tool. Especially if you look at the other limited defensive options Necro has. (No blocks, evades, invulns,...)

Even in endgame content such as strikes, T4 fractals and raids its very valid to use shroud defensive if a certain condition is met.

For example:

You failed a mechanic and the boss is about to down the whole group, but you can prevent being downed by using shroud as a defensive tool, then Rez your whole squad and beat the boss. Otherwise you have to start over again.

Necro isn't as easy to play as many people think.

If you want to bee good at Necro, you have to know, what hits you can take with your health, what hits you maybe have to use your shroud on, even though it will lower your DMG output, and what attacks you have to outplay with movement.

For me this is what sets Reaper aside from the other specs. I mean, nothing stops someone from using the shroud as a defensive tool, but for Reaper we know that's not it's intent because if it was, it would give you a whole bunch of defensive skills in Reaper Shroud instead of offensive ones. Even the core features that make Shroud 'defensive' don't translate well to Reaper, because of it's accelerated decay of LF. 

So no, Reaper shouldn't get a ranged attack. People should understand the intent, use Reaper Shroud 2 and 3 properly and consider the spec's diminished ability to be 'defensive shroud' when they create their Reaper builds.  

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So no, Reaper shouldn't get a ranged attack. People should understand the intent, use Reaper Shroud 2 and 3 properly and consider the spec's diminished ability to be 'defensive shroud' when they create their Reaper builds.  

here is something for thought

Holo has something like this already and i wouldn't be against it if it was like a dps optional trait but i dont think reaper should get it by default or anything. Even if you put it in like this you are not talking very much either,  (projectile slices that fly off as you swing through your auto) basically it would extend your auto attacks to the same rage as soul spiral (yes soul spiral has a good bit more reach than your autos do) maybe a few pixels more. It would be useful for hitting people just barely outside your range, doublely devistating for people in your range but wouldnt turn reaper into ranged dps spec by any means. I would like to think this is what the OP is thinking when he wants a ranged attack for reaper.

If they threw a condition on they could easily slap it over the deathly chill trait as a dps condition option but i would rather them not promote more condition the game is already TOOO CONDITION FOCUSED as it is. 

Im not against giving reaper a ranged attack similar to holo's for a trait investment but i cant think of any place you can fit it in for a power trait so i dont think its gonna happen. 

Edited by ZDragon.3046

Try power harb, it could be your best bet unless the enemy has projectile reflects.

Marauder and Dragon stats are the best since harb converts vit into damage, and you get a high health pool that should make up for the fact that you don't absorb damage with shroud. But if you keep your range and dodge the circles you will need way less damage absorption than melee. You could even use the flesh golem as a bait and play like a bearbow ranger.

You can even use almost the same traits as reaper, (spite and SR), and for the harb trait you go 1-1-2 (permaquickness+fury is too important, you need even less base precision than reaper, and that's a lot to say)

9 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

rEaPeR HAs nO raNGeD aTtacKs!!!!        

buddy.... that is just a small glimps at what warrior mains have to deal with 😄

I dont agree with op but im jist pointing out that warrior has multiple leaps and dashes and ranged gs#4 just saying.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, XECOR.2814 said:

I dont agree with op but im jist pointing out that warrior has multiple leaps and dashes and ranged gs#4 just saying.

good job sherlock! 🧐  

And so does reaper... he has dashes/teleports/rangedattacks yet we are here in this thread 😄

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

good job sherlock! 🧐  

And so does reaper... he has dashes/teleports/rangedattacks yet we are here in this thread 😄

which teleport(you mean the core necromancer wurm lul), multiple leaps(you mean 1 600range dash which is inside shroud not on weapon skills?)?

Also the one who comments about warrior in a necromancer thread is you. 

"look guys what about this completely different class with completely different mechanics and skill set. haha im so smart and edgy"

nice one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, XECOR.2814 said:

which teleport(you mean the core necromancer wurm lul), multiple leaps(you mean 1 600range dash which is inside shroud not on weapon skills?)?

yes those +spirit walk.

it's actually quite good especially in pvp. Necros sure aren't the kings of mobility but they have something.

still don't think reaper needs ranged autos tho. it's more of a melee spec. play scourge then op.

It's an intended design con, with shouts offering some of that mid-range support. Not to mention necromancer (and reaper in particular) already has some very decent mobility options.

The entire point of the spec, from a competitive balance point of view, is that if they manage to close the gap, and retain that melee distance, you're dead. Not only is this is a good thematic, but it's also notably easier to balance than, say, scourge or harbinger.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:23 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

good job sherlock! 🧐  

YES A SINGULAR DASH  I dont know about this "Dashes" in multiple you speak of for reaper specifically. Jus gonna point that out.

I suppose you can count wurm and spectral walk but those are not reaper specific and do not add any additional mobility to reaper that core necro or even scourge has. In fact harbinger is the only elite that actually increases the number of movement abilities you have access to in total across all the elites and even that one only gives you a single additional one increasing the 3 movement options on core, reaper, and scourge, to 4 movement options with harbinger. 

Yes counting the wurm and spectral plus your shroud skill you get 3 movement skills 2 of them which have high cooldowns and require you to make moves in advance or you don't get any mobility out of them at all. 

To be specific with spectral walk you actually need to move from point a to point b first before its actually even teleport and wurm requires you to cast it first before you can use the blink. Its not exactly on the same level as something like ele's lightning flash, or mesmers blink but its good enough for most people to settle on. 

But yet lets not like go jumping the gun like necro actually has alot of mobility it doesn't compared to alot of classes and thats kinda fine. Now accept and embrace the chilled crippled and weakness so they can catch you with their lesser mobility. 

Edited by ZDragon.3046

No. In WvW reaper is good bruiser, not on the level of cele tempest, but it's decent class for monke brain players like me. Add ranged to most OP part of reaper kit and suddenly you have broken class, that can stack shroud in seconds with axe/WH, hop onto second HP and poke you at range, while sacrificing nothing. If you want to deal with runing targets, run chilling grasp and GS. If you want to deal with ranged classes - play something else, not necro.