Items/skills that change depending on your race.

Hey,

So I've been giving this some thought, and I would like to see some things that change depending on what race you are.

I premise is pretty simple, its a single item/skin,  that when equipped has a visual or look that is unique to that race.

The few idea I have are for skins are for mounts and gathering tools as these are the most univeral of skins.

I do realise that this probably won't be likely as it actively reduces the amount of money ArenaNet can make if you get essentially 5 skins in 1, but it just seems like a fun idea to me, that would make races abit more important.

My final thought would be unique visuals on skills depending on race, though I haven't managed to give this more thought, the idea that kicked on this thought was engineer turrets. I would really like to see these look different for the races, mostly as the idea of a sylvari using metal turrets just looks wrong (especially when there are literally already see turrets in the game). The general idea behind each race would be as follows;

Human: Sleek elegant turrets

Sylvari: Plant turrets

Asura: Futurisitc laser turrets

Charr: Classic Charr design turrets (hard to describe but you know the design I am talking about)

Norn: Rustic sturdy turrets.

This would be the start, but I'd like if each class had a unique racial visual on a set of their utility skills e.g. Warrior Flags, Ranger Spirits, Mesmer Glamour, Necro Minions etc.

46 minutes ago, Yogurt Goblin.5934 said:

Hey,

So I've been giving this some thought, and I would like to see some things that change depending on what race you are.

I premise is pretty simple, its a single item/skin,  that when equipped has a visual or look that is unique to that race.

The few idea I have are for skins are for mounts and gathering tools as these are the most univeral of skins.

I do realise that this probably won't be likely as it actively reduces the amount of money ArenaNet can make if you get essentially 5 skins in 1, but it just seems like a fun idea to me, that would make races abit more important.

The Wedding Outfit changes based on race.

I wish races had passive game mechanics. I know other games do it and it's fun. It hasn't broken them. An asura warrior could reward playing differently than a norn warrior. Norn could get toughness from standing still for a few seconds. Asura could have a special dampening belt that activates after running for a few seconds. I'll stop wasting time thinking about it now. 😂

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

There's a few outfits which change based on your race. Common Clothing, the Cook's Outfit and the Wedding Outfit are the ones I know of.

That tells us it is possible to do it, and I assume it could apply to other types of cosmetics as well. But even with outfits there's only been a few. I wonder if Anet prefer to make things available to everyone and then let players choose if they only want to use them on the appropriate race. Which also lets them sell 5 different ones instead of just 1.

I do like the idea of racial themed mounts, and we've sort-of already got asuran and norn ones, so one way or another it would be nice to have ones for the other races.

2 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I wish races had passive game mechanics. I know other games do it and it's fun. It hasn't broken them. An asura warrior could reward playing differently than a norn warrior. Norn could get toughness from standing still for a few seconds. Asura could have a special dampening belt that activates after running for a few seconds. I'll stop wasting time thinking about it now. 😂

Anet deliberately underpowered the racial skills and didn't add any other non-cosmetic differences because they didn't want players to feel like they had to play a certain race if they wanted the best possible character.

I'd agree they could give them some minor passive effects, but I also play Elder Scrolls Online where they did that (very minimal compared to past Elder Scrolls games and they've been toned down a lot since the game was released) and some players are constantly complaining that every balance patch 'forces' them to pay for a race change because their class is unplayable without those minor passive effects.

15 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

It is wise of you to abandon this idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1