Can we once again talk about "Wind Storm"? (Air hammer 4)

SeTect.5918

Wind_Storm.

It could be such a nice skill.
Why does it need this useless self knockback?

Just delete the self knockback and add some damage and then we have a nice cc.
Or even add a nice gap closer, would be even better.

It totally ruins the flow of ele because you instantly have to run to the enemy again after using it.
It shoots you from platforms.
It has low damage.
Often bugs yourself in walls...

Just...why?
Please delete the knockback and add some damage and i m already happy.
It neednt even be a gap closer (even tho it would be really nice) but please remove the knockback, for real.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• SeTect.5918 changed the title to Can we once again talk about "Wind Storm"? (Air hammer 4)

One of the things I can't stand is the 600 range lock to get the knock back. It's annoying to have an enemy targeted at ~700 or higher range, use Wind Storm and then have absolutely nothing happen. It's gotten me killed running away so many times using this skill. It also doesn't really work very well as a CC since, you know, you get sent back 600 feet, they just stun break and take a few steps back and now you're out of range. Also, I'm like, preeeeetty sure there have been times I used Wind Storm and knocked down my opponent, flew back the full 600 range, started to auto attack only to see 'Out of Range' start popping up lol.

It's not a fun skill. Its not good to use in PvE and its too inconsistent in PvP/WvW to be used effectively. This should be top priority for the devs to address.

It wouldn't fit thematically with Air being ranged, but I would love it to be turned into a pull instead.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

A-net could have made it an AoE CC, something like "Generate high air pressure above targetted area to knockdown enemies for 3s" 360 radius, 600(KEKW) range, ignores blind, 5 targets. That would be much more useful, but still inferior to Rev hammer. Well, doesn't matter, 600 range weapon is still garbage in long run.
But no, YEET into walls is the way...

• Like 7

i would change it to be a 90 degree cone infront of you, get rid of the knockback and keep the 600 range.

Hammer itself does feel half-baked and definitely has a lot to criticize about it (like my favorite punching bag hammer 3). Another hammer skill i feel needs improving is earth 4, it blocks only a single attack, come'on that's a rookie number.

back to windstorm, i do like it being a 2s knockdown with a 5 target cap

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh it is awful, I refer to it as the rubber band lag simulator since it feels just as confusing and causes just as many problems.

The easiest solution would be the op’s suggestion which of course would be to just get rid of the knock back, I mean… why is it there? It defeats the whole point of a cc… if that is the abilities purpose, who knows.

I personally would like to see air 4 turn into an ability that leaps the ele in whichever direction it’s moving using a gust of air and would cc on landing and/or on take off. This ability would then give the player the options on whether to utilize it as an escape, gap closer, or setting it up for a cc.

Edited by Hem.7514
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hem.7514 said:

I personally would like to see air 4 turn into an ability that leaps the ele in whichever direction it’s moving using a gust of air and would cc on landing and/or on take off. This ability would then give the player the options on whether to utilize it as an escape, gap closer, or setting it up for a cc.

ooo use the same targeting method that warhorn lightning orb has, turn it into the air scooter aang has in ATLA, with aoe knockback along the movement path

Edited by crosknight.3041
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hem.7514 said:

Ahh it is awful, I refer to it as the rubber band lag simulator since it feels just as confusing and causes just as many problems.

The easiest solution would be the op’s suggestion which of course would be to just get rid of the knock back, I mean… why is it there? It defeats the whole point of a cc… if that is the abilities purpose, who knows.

A leap gap closer would actually be useful, given that this is a melee spec.  I'm really wondering what they were thinking putting this move on hammer.  I guess they figured you might want to leap back and use one of the 600 range attacks?  But since the core mechanics of hammer and catalyst require you to be at melee range it makes no sense at all.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, crosknight.3041 said:

ooo use the same targeting method that warhorn lightning orb has, turn it into the air scooter aang has in ATLA, with aoe knockback along the movement path

Yess 👌 that would work nicely.

10 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

A leap gap closer would actually be useful, given that this is a melee spec.  I'm really wondering what they were thinking putting this move on hammer.  I guess they figured you might want to leap back and use one of the 600 range attacks?  But since the core mechanics of hammer and catalyst require you to be at melee range it makes no sense at all.

That's a good assumption, and yea it displays how contradicting the concept of hammer is, I mean fire is supposed to be a ranged attunement and yet hammer 5 is a melee. This ranged/melee mix really emphasizes how important it is the have the utility of hammer be as universal as possible. 

It would be nice if they did make self "movement skills" both air hammer 4 and say Updraft even skills like burning speed where you can control in what way they are going to go and not need to be looking in the "right way" to make the skill go the way you want.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, Swagg.9236 said:

If gw2 weren't made on a trashy outdated spaghetti engine from 2005, Wind Storm probably would've been something you could aim directionally for a vertical boost or smoother horizontal gap closer.

You mean like Thief Staff 5? or its something from other dimension that allow for vertical jump with smooth horizontal gap closer that is in game already, but "is not"?

Sometime ive noticed that the knockback get canceled, it did happen quite often yet i have no idea how it happen, yet i dont have the restrained condi on myself, otherwise i often switch to water and buffer 4 to close gap. I dont really like the knockback but it did save my kitten a few time from aoe.

2 hours ago, insistent.8369 said:

Sometime ive noticed that the knockback get canceled, it did happen quite often yet i have no idea how it happen, yet i dont have the restrained condi on myself, otherwise i often switch to water and buffer 4 to close gap. I dont really like the knockback but it did save my kitten a few time from aoe.

If you have a target, Wind Storm will only knock you back 600 units from the targets location regardless of where you are standing.

So if you're standing at like 500 range from the target, you'll only be sent back 100 range (feet? meters? units? whatever measurement they use for distance) and not the full 600 launch range. This can cause a bit of a rubberbanding kind of effect when using this skill, it will show you launching back the full 600 range, but then immediately teleport you back to about where you were standing before using the skill because you were only supposed to move 100 range, not 600.

Likewise, if you have a target who is standing at >600 range, you will do the Wind Storm animation but not move at all because you are already exceeding the 600 range lock.

This might be the cause of your issue. Always check to see if that little red line is under Wind Storm before  using it if you have a target selected. If you see that red line, you are out of range and Wind Storm will not launch you at all.

Of course I swear there are still times when I don't have a target and still don't move... maybe got snagged on some terrain or something..

Regardless, this 600 range lock It's a stupid quirk of the skill and needs to be removed, it does more harm than good especially in competitive settings like PvP and WvW.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

If you have a target, Wind Storm will only knock you back 600 units from the targets location regardless of where you are standing.

So if you're standing at like 500 range from the target, you'll only be sent back 100 range (feet? meters? units? whatever measurement they use for distance) and not the full 600 launch range. This can cause a bit of a rubberbanding kind of effect when using this skill, it will show you launching back the full 600 range, but then immediately teleport you back to about where you were standing before using the skill because you were only supposed to move 100 range, not 600.

Likewise, if you have a target who is standing at >600 range, you will do the Wind Storm animation but not move at all because you are already exceeding the 600 range lock.

This might be the cause of your issue. Always check to see if that little red line is under Wind Storm before  using it if you have a target selected. If you see that red line, you are out of range and Wind Storm will not launch you at all.

Of course I swear there are still times when I don't have a target and still don't move... maybe got snagged on some terrain or something..

Regardless, this 600 range lock It's a stupid quirk of the skill and needs to be removed, it does more harm than good especially in competitive settings like PvP and WvW.

Ah this all make sense then

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Zerthi.5493 said:

You mean like Thief Staff 5? or its something from other dimension that allow for vertical jump with smooth horizontal gap closer that is in game already, but "is not"?

Or maybe more like, imagine it were instant, always knocked you back 900-ish units in an inverse vector from the current camera angle (but not in a rigid, forced animation; just like a natural jump motion or something akin to mount movement), it had 3 ammo and a 25s recharge per count, and you could use it in midair.  It wouldn't need to be CC at that point.  It would be fun and purposeful on its own.