Choosing profession (Ele, Mesmer, or Necro)

4 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I wouldn't say that mirage has better sustain.  They sustain in different ways.

The main differences are that mirage has range capability while weaver does not, but weaver has significantly stronger healing capability.  A lot of damage can be avoided simply by being at range, but weaver can absorb a lot more damage than mirage can via healing and barrier.

Ah okay that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. I know the answer might be subjective, but let me ask it this way if I can: If you had to pick one profession or the other (elementalist or mesmer), which would you pick? Just curious to hear someone who's been playing a while's reasoning

10 minutes ago, Matt.1938 said:

Ah okay that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. I know the answer might be subjective, but let me ask it this way if I can: If you had to pick one profession or the other (elementalist or mesmer), which would you pick? Just curious to hear someone who's been playing a while's reasoning

I haven't really played anything but weaver in years.  I love the play style and it makes everything else feel pretty bland to me.  And yes, that is entirely subjective and has little to do with how good/bad weaver is objectively. 

If I'm being honest, I would recommend it for players who love fast-paced, in-your-face action combat with high APM/complexity, but definitely not for anyone who doesn't like the sound of that!  I wouldn't say there's any particular performance advantage to the spec in most cases and plenty of potential for it to be a liability.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172

7 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I haven't really played anything but weaver in years.  I love the play style and it makes everything else feel pretty bland to me.  And yes, that is entirely subjective and has little to do with how good/bad weaver is objectively. 

If I'm being honest, I would recommend it for players who love fast-paced, in-your-face action combat with high APM/complexity, but definitely not for anyone who doesn't like the sound of that!  I wouldn't say there's any particular performance advantage to the spec in most cases and plenty of potential for it to be a liability.

You play it for PvE and PvP both?

1 minute ago, Matt.1938 said:

You play it for PvE and PvP both?

I'm mostly a PvE player, but yes, I use condi weaver for PvP and WvW when I play those modes as well.  Until recently, weaver was considered one of the best side-node duelists in PvP (I think it might have fallen out of favor a bit post-EoD) and it remains a strong option for WvW roaming, albeit lacking a bit in mobility for open field. 

6 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I'm mostly a PvE player, but yes, I use condi weaver for PvP and WvW when I play those modes as well.  Until recently, weaver was considered one of the best side-node duelists in PvP (I think it might have fallen out of favor a bit post-EoD) and it remains a strong option for WvW roaming, albeit lacking a bit in mobility for open field. 

Awesome! I'll boost ele then with my other boost. Am I okay doing weaver with the first elite spec unlock? Meaning is the gear easy to get? I know you linked a few builds but wasn't sure if it's okay with the celestial gear I'll get when boosting. Or am I better trying to buy specific gear right off the bat from the TP

Edited by Matt.1938

5 minutes ago, Matt.1938 said:

Awesome! I'll boost ele then with my other boost. Am I okay doing weaver with the first elite spec unlock? Meaning is the gear easy to get? I know you linked a few builds but wasn't sure if it's okay with the celestial gear I'll get when boosting. Or am I better trying to buy specific gear right off the bat from the TP

Sure.  Just buy dire exotic with Balthazar runes.  It's dirt cheap and effective.

1 minute ago, Matt.1938 said:

dumb question - have link to it? Haven't been playing long (played some in base but just returned)

The build?  It was linked in the earlier post.  The gear is just toughness/vitality/condition damage.  Use the filters in TP to search for those stats with level 80 and exotic rarity.  Aside from the backpack, it shouldn't even cost you 10g to kit a dire exotic build out.  Balthazar runes are cheap and will help you cap out your burning duration, which is where the majority of your damage comes from with condi weaver.

9 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The build?  It was linked in the earlier post.  The gear is just toughness/vitality/condition damage.  Use the filters in TP to search for those stats with level 80 and exotic rarity.  Aside from the backpack, it shouldn't even cost you 10g to kit a dire exotic build out.  Balthazar runes are cheap and will help you cap out your burning duration, which is where the majority of your damage comes from with condi weaver.

Gotcha. I can afford the trailblazer gear but I don't see the amulet and such on the TP