Serpents' Ire -- Dead Event -- Is it possible to change some things?

Minka.9273

I wrote a post yesterday about looking for people who actually attempt this event and it didn't really go anywhere.  I figure it's bc it's old-ish content and, as some people have apparently noted, it has pretty lackluster rewards for anyone to lead and run it these days.

Since then, I've also put in a ticket (listen, I'm desperate here 🙃) literally just asking that the item (recording) needed for the "Redeeming IG-6417" achievement (which is the what I'm working on and is the last one that I need to complete the achievement) be put behind another zone/meta event bc this one is literally dead.  I've attempted it like 5 times in the last 2 nights (which is my playtime on NA + mornings) and have had maybe 2 other people around as well trying it but we can't get past the pre-event bc the 30 mins. timer (to find and kill the zealots) is failing the event.  It's unfortunately a lot of surface area to cover with so few participants.

Regardless, the response I got to my ticket was, ofc, not too helpful, just the typical: "Put it in the forums so someone else can deal with it"-type of response.  So, here I am.

I'm sure a lot of people no longer care about this event or even the achievement but there are seemingly a few of us who do -- I'm assuming some are players like me; ones returning to the game and trying to do some catching up. But I'm assuming if the Development Team cared about this dead event that they would have, by now (and after years of people previously mentioning the low participation/poor incentive for this event), already either changed the requisite of this event for the achievement item or restructured the event to scale with a lower population, etc.

IDK maybe I'm crazy in thinking this is something that would even be considered, but there is only so much you can do in a game this old, so I'm hoping that if something isn't working, that reporting about it and asking for a slight re-work is plausible?

If not, I guess this was a waste of time -- attempting the achievement and asking for dev assistance.  I'm hoping neither is the case!

Edited by Minka.9273
  • Like 4

There also seems a 2nd achievement related to it. (Probably a bit more important/interesting for other players.) This one: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exaltation_of_the_Guardians

I'd try to check lfg often - and at different times. (Though for this one the best shot might be prime time.) Maybe trying the map if it has daily achievements (bounty or events) - which does not happen tooo often though. (And then trying on prime time.) Asking on the map. And using a commander tag (if you do not have one ... asking in map if someone can tag one and post in lfg).

Unfortunately the event really is done pretty rarely. I did this as well - for the collection mentiond above ... and the other one you mentioned. It seems a lot harder (still doable) than the other meta in this map (which probably most people just do for the daily Heoric's chest) - cause it needs coordination and a few players. (Probably on the level of the south meta of Thunderhead peaks... that here we have less people doing it.)

The main "problem" probably is that no interesting other achievements are tied to it. No legendary trinket that requires this.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

Ye I keep finding literally 1-3 other people on when I'm trying it but just not enough to complete the zealots which, in turn, makes me assume the event would be a nightmare. 

I'll keep trying and hope I find a lucky time (since NA primetime is not when I'm usually able to log in) that a few more people are attempting it but, in the meantime, I hope more people reply to this and let the devs know (on behalf of those of us still needing and trying this event) that this needs to be re-worked, changed, or updated bc it's not one with lucrative enough rewards -- which seems silly for one that takes so much coordination and participation to complete.

Any input from others would help, I hope.  (And ty for the reply @Luthan.5236)

• Like 1

Halle-frickin-lujah.  There are at least some patient and kind souls that if you properly (pretty much) beg them to stay and help, they do.  Thankfully, the event was a success.

This however doesn't alleviate the issue that the event really doesn't provide much incentive other than the 2 random achievement items locked behind it -- and this event requires quite a bit of coordination and participation.  For such a more complex event, it really does need a re-work in its loot.  Also, changing the achievement items to something less burdensome might be better for new and/or returning players trying to get these achievements.

Just my 2 cents.  And many thanks to the folks who helped out today.  I'm done with this event forever, like many others, unfortunately.

• Like 4

Geeze so imagine me trying to get this done today.  lol  Although, like I updated, I actually found someone who not only was willing to lead it, but also knew HOW to do efficiently.  The angels sang this afternoon!  😇

But I still implore the devs to take a look at this event and re-haul it!  -- Sincerely,  Future Players!

• Like 1

It has at least been nerfed in the last couple of years. It was incredibly hard trying to get a coordinated cc on that phase when the break bar was so overturned back on release. How it is now is nothing compared to getting a map full for it prior

I think the issue is the time. At least with forged with fire, it’s relatively short. Serpents ire has the tedious searching phase which must succeed, then cc, then the boss. You need a good half hour for little reward as you say. Why do that when players can spend time on better events that are on the same schedule?

I love a good event chain, but some of these metas need a revisit

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

I've done Serpent's Ire many times, including organising it and getting people into the map to complete it.

I think part of the problem is just the reputation it has - I've had people who have never tried it refuse to join because they've heard it's horrible and they should avoid it. They don't know why or what specifically makes it bad, they just know they've been told not to do it so they won't. Unfortunately I can't think of any way around that other than renaming it, or someone taking the time to persuade them it's worth trying.

But other than that I think the big problem is actually the hunt for the zealots phase. The boss phases do need more people and have some tricky mechanics like the group needing to split up to kill the 5 zealots and needing to kill the forgotten boss before the hydra, but nothing that's really that different to other GW2 group events.

But the hunt for the zealots is pretty counter-intuitive, so you need to either already know how it works or have someone who can explain it and a group that will listen instead of trying to just follow the commander. It also gets pretty boring when you're just going around on your own looking for veterans. When I've been leading it I've found I need to not only keep repeating instructions to not look for event markers and instead kill any veterans you see but also keep reassuring people that this is part of the meta event and will lead to a boss fight.

I think solving that could be as simple as putting the orange crossed swords icon over the heads of veterans in the area, spawning a few more when the event starts, and adding a bar to track their kills until a zealot will spawn. Marking spawned zealots on the map and letting them stick around a bit longer would help as well because there's not a lot of waypoints nearby and if you get dismounted it can be hard to find a place to mount again. Maybe also reduce the number of veterans which need to be killed for a zealot to spawn, but I'm not actually sure how many it takes now, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

I also think adding a cumulative reward based on participation in successive phases like the HoT meta events and some others have would help encourage players to join in early. I've often found it's very hard to persuade people to show up for the hunt for the zealots phase but if you advertise a map that's past that and the bosses are about to spawn it gets much easier to get people to join. At the moment that makes sense, if it doesn't get that far they've saved themselves a bit of time and a lot of hassle, but it makes it a lot rarer that a map will even reach that point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The best opportunity is when have "daily domain vabbi events" in daily tab. the map become always filled with randons doing events.

Also United Legions Waystation is your best fried, last time i did meta, i did just with 30 ppl, zerging all 5 points..

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

For anyone struggling with this, there is a guild (I'm sorry I can't remember their name) that does Serpent's Ire every Friday night. That was the only way I was able to get it done lol. 

Eu or Na guild?

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Eu or Na guild?

Sorry! NA guild. I googled it to find the guild (and time) too, from a Reddit thread:

"Auric Oasis [AO] on NA runs Serpents Ire every Friday as part of our “Path of Friday” PoF Meta train! The train starts at 11:15pm EDT (Reset+3:15) and serpents ire is 1h into the train. Come get your achevies done! :)"

• Thanks 3

Well I'm "glad" to see that I wasn't completely crazy in thinking that this event chain was unnecessarily convoluted for really no good reason.  Again, the rewards don't seem to match the effort required to complete it -- other than the 2 achievements locked behind it. 

Again, hopefully the Dev Team sees this and maybe puts it on the "to do" list since it's a cool event when you have a good leader and enough people to want to do it (hint hint improve the rewards).

Edited by Minka.9273
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah I’ve given up on ever completing the funerary armor sets because of this event. A few more of the achievements for those armor pieces are ridiculously annoying to pull off because of the low participation in said events, but this one in particular made me bury that idea permanently 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...