Help with choosing a profession?

xDrac.5932

So I just very recently started playing again and I love Greatswords so I was naturally interested in Guardians, but then the new EoD elite specs came around and I feel like I really want to play them because they are new... out of all of them, Bladesworn and Vindicator seemed the most fun, but I feel like they are not as good compared to the previous specs, like Firebrand or something... I'm just looking for a profession to comfortably do open world content with, without dying much and just being able to dish out decent damage. Could you maybe give some insight, since I'm sure most of you have way more experience with the game than me.

Just play what you feel is the most fun to you. For me, that is currently core Warrior.

Unless you aim to be a top-percentage player, you should not choose your main based on numbers.

99%+ of the game can be done on all professions, even on Warrior (which is by far the worst profession) and its specializations.

But whatever you do, you shouldn't compare anything in the game to Firebrand (except different builds of Firebrand itself).

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, xDrac.5932 said:

I'm just looking for a profession to comfortably do open world content with, without dying much and just being able to dish out decent damage. Could you maybe give some insight, since I'm sure most of you have way more experience with the game than me.

If you want to run a heavy armor profession and to wield a greatsword Guardian is probably the best choice: Willbender delivers huge amounts of damage in OW in both power and condition based variants, and since the main source of its condition damage are burns triggered by hits, greatsword's #2 fits well that goal. Currently greatsword Willbender is meta in PvP, and the condition variant works extremely well in PvE (albeit scepter + sword is prefered due the faster hitting pace). The sustain is also good and moves way faster than Firebrand, albeit is harder to use compared to other professions.

If heavy armor isn't your thing, both Ranger and Necro (Reaper) can use greatsword while having more sustain than Guardian/Willbender, albeit the stronger PvE Ranger and Necro builds are based around condition damage and don't wield greatswords.

• Like 1

It heavily depends on what you enjoy playing.

When it comes to Greatsword, I prefer Vindicator. On the other hand, Bladesworn basically has two sets of Greatsword skills, three if you stretch it to cover Dragon Trigger.

Changes to EoD Offensive/Defensive protocols have made Boon uptime less important in open world PvE. From my perspective, this takes some of the wind out of Firebrand sails, but I've never enjoyed any of Guardian Elites.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, xDrac.5932 said:

Thanks so much for all the replies!

Is Willbender actually viable with a greatsword? I thought they just use sword & sword?

Greatsword is Guardian's best power weapon. It has damage, mobility, and the CC/pull is very nice for open world.

The second set is flexible, usually a combination of sword/scepter+sword/focus. Guardian basically the best class in every mode currently and has a viable GS-using build in all of them, so it's a great choice if you were drawn to it.

• Confused 1