Trying to upgrade account

I had exactly this issue just now, got a 80808 notification in two different browsers and in-game. Had to turn my adblocker off to get that far, even. Turned off tracking protection too.

Seriously tho, if ArenaNet makes returning to this game this hard I'm no longer interested in buying this expansion. This is not the first time I have issues buying things for GW2 with a creditcard that works everywhere else.

/their zero money CC reservation went fine so there is nothing wrong on my side

Edited by tigs.4230
  • Haha 1

Payment providers make it hard for a subset of our players to buy the game directly from ArenaNet. Payment providers are very much afraid of scam, so afraid that they even block transactions that are not scam.

Solution 1: Contact support to see if they can help you.

Solution 2: Buy the game through one of the authorized resellers: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tigs.4230 said:

I had exactly this issue just now, got a 80808 notification in two different browsers and in-game. Had to turn my adblocker off to get that far, even. Turned off tracking protection too.

80808 means you need to contact support; your account is blocked from making purchases.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, Healix.5819 said:

80808 means you need to contact support; your account is blocked from making purchases.

No, it's not an account block. I actually remembered I could use a different payment option and that one always works (it did now too).

It's that the system decided your account is not allowed to buy things with a credit card for some reason. Of course, no one will ever tell you what the reason actually is.

Edited by tigs.4230

• 2 weeks later...

Well then. Today I decided to try to buy gems in-game. Of course, one method gave an empty page and the other method gave the same 80808.

Support gives me the non-response that it is 'my financial institutions' which can't be true as I don't even get to try the one method. At this point I consider that a game client issue, not a bank issue.

The credit card one is an account-side issue they apparently don't want to look at. So why does this particular error tell me to contact support again?

A-net, why don't you want my money?

Edited by tigs.4230
lay-out
  • Sad 1