Staff needs buffs not nerfs wth?

solemn.9608

3 minutes ago, Coldtart.4785 said:

Are you implying that past melee-heavy metas didn't exist?

Nope, I didn't. I don't imply anything. I'm simply looking at what Anet tells us is the reason they made the change.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

I totally agree and in this case they need to give buffs to the staff.

Hey, I'm not against staff buffs but in THIS case where Anet want more melee interactions in WvW, these changes DO make sense. I mean, let's be honest here ... Staff is a ranged AOE weapon. If Anet are wanting people to have more melee interactions, then what changes do you think they are able to make to staff to buff it while achieving that goal?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Hey, I'm not against staff buffs but in THIS case where Anet want more melee interactions in WvW, these changes DO make sense. I mean, let's be honest here ... Staff is a ranged AOE weapon. If Anet are wanting people to have more melee interactions, then what changes do you think they are able to make to staff to buff it while achieving that goal?

Yeah i totally understand ANet’s goal here.  They dont want pirate ship fights sure,

But you *have* to agree that outside bombing wvw zergs, the staff is outdated, right?  I’m really hoping for some skill reworks especially in air.

It needs to deal more damage and not just be a utility skill line. It can be with projectiles so it doesnt overperform in zergs, and im also hoping for more sources of burn from the fire line, which is condi damage that again, wont affect wvw zerging.

Water and Earth are pretty good as it is though which is why staff is decent for support builds.

8 hours ago, Coldtart.4785 said:

The damage of staff ele is entirely irrelevant if the goal is to change the viability of melee.

Reducing AOE Ranged DPS is definitely relevant. DPS performance is a factor in build choices people make in competitive modes. If Anet want the game to shift to more melee focused encounters, nerfing AOE Ranged DPS is an obvious approach to do that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Reducing AOE Ranged DPS is definitely relevant. DPS performance is a factor in build choices people make in competitive modes. If Anet want the game to shift to more melee focused encounters, nerfing AOE Ranged DPS is an obvious approach to do that. 

In smaller scale 30 vs 30 even with additional pugs many fights would go directly into melee before the nerfs.  I would still have ranged damage options on my melee focused characters in case of the pirate ship.

I think the problem is that map blob vs map blob with veteran players is where melee is too risky.  Even with the ranged nerfs I feel the next problem is that melee damage and boon rips are too high for map blobs to go into melee.  They would have to nerf reaper, dragon hunter, and berserker next.  This would allow the map blobs to go into melee and play sustain wars.

The problem with all of this is that with all of the damage and threats to the boon ball removed WvW becomes a purely numbers game.  Team sizes are often not even in WvW and players would start avoiding fights until they have an equal number of players.  I would stop playing WvW at this point.

Anet wants you to play ranger more in zergs with double longbow and stance share where you can just push longbow 5 on your foes... nerf all other aoes till players let rangers into the zerg meta looool jk jk 

If yall start doing this they will prob nerf that skill too. 

• Haha 2

some people seem to be losing sight of  anets stated intent when gw2 came out- it was supposed to be a game that u could play anyway u wanted on a fairly even playing field. u can play it anyway u want but the playing field is definitely not even and is becoming less even with almost every balance patch.

my 2 main toons since day 1 of release have been a staff ele and a bow ranger- cause thats what i want to play. over the years i changed to playing the rang in pve and the ele in wvw for reasons:). playing a base staff ele has become more and more frustrating over time but i still had fun doing support in groups and figuring out were the enemy was going to plant my aoe in their path and not get stomped on because of the standing still thing. made it challenging. but the steady nerfing of ele is taking any remaining fun out of it. since the last nerf i find my self wondering how far they are going to take forcing us to play the game the way they think it should be played. 

find myself wishing i wouldnt have purchased the expansion cause the fun factor of playing gw2 is just fading for me. might be a little overdramatic there but i am discouraged with anets apparent path to determine how we play the game.

Edited by vaz kor.5479
cause english is hard?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, solemn.9608 said:

No one: staff Weaver is so easy to play and I can't handle all these staff weavers everywhere, it's the only thing anyone plays anymore in WvW, why are they everywhere?

Anet: gotcha, nerfed

Ppl who don't play ele: ITS ANETS DESIGN

Anet want us to give Catalyst with Relentless Fire a go.

• Sad 1

On 5/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Serious question.  Do the devs have an intended playstyle in mind for the zerg ele?  I don't know what that would be.  

Swapping to another class.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

At least aura share glass DPS tempest is still decent, considering it has an OK bomb and gives the almighty magnetic aura up to 5 times at will (elite, earth shield 3, the earth tempest utility I forget it's name, staff 3, overload earth) plus burst trash heals in water which are easily accessed

Wish they didn't neuter weaver tho lol

• Like 1

Its pretty inconsistent that elementalist staff fire 4 "Burning Retreat" does not remove movement-impairing conditions as other skills with similar function do this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Riposting_Shadows

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Lightning_Reflexes

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Roll_for_Initiative

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Withdraw

#Buffs4Staff

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rasfar.6921 said:

Its pretty inconsistent that elementalist staff fire 4 "Burning Retreat" does not remove movement-impairing conditions as other skills with similar function do this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Riposting_Shadows

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Lightning_Reflexes

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Roll_for_Initiative

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Withdraw

#Buffs4Staff

Not really... Burning Retreat may work practically in the same was as these skills (a roll back), but it make sense from a balance point of view why Burning Retreat wouldn't also remove conditions. These are all utility skills. These are selected by the player based on their needs and by taking one of these skills, you are also locking yourself out of other options, which is why they are a bit stronger. You don't have to give anything up to use Burning Retreat on Staff, it just comes with the weapon.

You already get Windborne Speed removing most movement impairing conditions on staff anyway, so its not necessary on Burning Retreat. Unless you'd want to slap the condi removal onto burning retreat and make Windborne do something else.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

There are movement weapon skills that also remove movement-impairing conditions, warriors great sword is a good example of this. Windborne Speed is not much of a consolation when you are in a different attunement and you  just roll in place while you expect to move to out of damage field with one of the most glassiest builds in game...

Edit: I realised that warrior gets immobilze remove from a trait line, but I still think that Burning Retreat having immobilze cleance is not unconscionable thing to ask.

Edited by Rasfar.6921
I made an error
  • Thanks 1

As a warrior and a secondary ele rolling mostly staff, this nerf is amusing. I bet I can tell you EXACTLY who squealed to ANet for a Meteor Shower nerf, of all things. Zergs and their underlings who stacked and thought that they could tank a bunch of Meteor Showers! They squealed like little piggies on their discords and streams! ANet, of course, caved in.

....sigh....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 3:03 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

As a warrior and a secondary ele rolling mostly staff, this nerf is amusing. I bet I can tell you EXACTLY who squealed to ANet for a Meteor Shower nerf, of all things. Zergs and their underlings who stacked and thought that they could tank a bunch of Meteor Showers! They squealed like little piggies on their discords and streams! ANet, of course, caved in.

....sigh....

💅 😏 💅

I don't even main Ele and it seriously blows my mind.

I mean I'm not surprised, exactly. It's the same team that took about 7 years to identify that P/P on Thief was in a very unhealthy state due to resource starvation stemming from a massively undertuned #1 skill and correct it. Prior to this, they somehow honed in on Ricochet as a problem and removed it even though it was one of the most fun and unique traits in the game. Lolwut.  Undertuned #1 skills isn't the only problem Ele staff has, but it's a major contributor to why it feels so clunky and awful to play.

They really, really need to make some changes to the way they handle balance - at the very least shuffle the team around and change up their toolsets. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/13/2022 at 2:49 AM, HowlKamui.5120 said:

I totally agree and in this case they need to give buffs to the staff.

IF they nerf meteor buff lava font its a single  small piece of attack or fireball on staff for ele why not?
Buff shockwave? buff icespike YEAH most staff stuff is AOE even on weaver

Buff the support stuff on staff? make it better. 

The staff stuff and a few other offers support if the problem with staff is that its causes issues then overhaul it to make it good without being op. Staff is a useful weapon and ele is a mage type who uses range as well as melee. It feels weird to use melee attacks on a squishy caster like ele.

Edited by Axl.8924
  • Like 1