In 2014 there was a NPE released that changed the feel and freedom of Gw2

Guild Wars 2 Classic Servers? Pre-2014 NPE  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a Gw2 Classic Server? Pre-2014 New Player Experience, back with the original talent tree's?

• I think it would be a great idea, I miss the old school feel!
    • No, I am happy with the game we have now!

I mean, yes we lost a few things in NPE; a few of the early hearts are boring (RIP apple pie) and some missing nodes.

Is this really a reason to revert for content that lasts an hour or two? I don't really think so.. What would we even gain? A one sentence point isn't exactly much of an argument.

It does not help that many veteran players are sorta over the leveling process after 10 years, and it wasn't exactly the most exciting process, as leveling in MMOs is usually just a chore to get to the actual game.

In other games where the point is the vertical progression, that might make sense. Here it really doesn't.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 2

No, definetly no. In gw2 there are no more lvls, and only ascended items where added (they could balance it more if they want), they cant touch dungeons either cos they dont know. So idk whats the point, it will be dead completly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

NPE was September 2014

Trait change was June 2015

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/June_2015#Update_-_June_23,_2015

The trait change was after NPE not before. Also not shortly, it was 9 months. Enough time to make a whole new human! Probably not enough time to make a GW2 expansion though so the devs probably knew it was going to change before the NPE was released.

Yep, regardless, most people still lumped it together with the NPE. 

The NPE most likely happened because Anet knew they were going free to play at that point and they were interested in player retention.  The change to traits was just before it went free to play as well, so it's not unreasonable to lump them in together. Nine months in game time/programming time is pretty much nothing btw.  Not for major change like that.  You can make a whole human in that time, that's true, but not sure what that has to do with making major changes to your trait system.

Worth noting a lot of people blamed the NPE on the china release when it almost definitely had nothing to do with it. China doesn't worry if a game is a bit grindy.

8 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Yep, regardless, most people still lumped it together with the NPE. 

The NPE most likely happened because Anet knew they were going free to play at that point and they were interested in player retention.  The change to traits was just before it went free to play as well, so it's not unreasonable to lump them in together. Nine months in game time/programming time is pretty much nothing btw.  Not for major change like that.  You can make a whole human in that time, that's true, but not sure what that has to do with making major changes to your trait system.

Worth noting a lot of people blamed the NPE on the china release when it almost definitely had nothing to do with it. China doesn't worry if a game is a bit grindy.

If you are going to accept people lumping together any arbitrary set of things together just because they feel like it then the entire conversation becomes irrelevant. Just extend the time backwards or forwards and include anything you don't like and say "it was the NPE!"

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

If you are going to accept people lumping together any arbitrary set of things together just because they feel like it then the entire conversation becomes irrelevant. Just extend the time backwards or forwards and include anything you don't like and say "it was the NPE!"

They were changes likely made for the same purpose. That lumps them together.  Anet was simplifying the game for the free to play. Anything that has common motivation can fall into the same category.  I'm pretty sure were were told it was going to change before but it wouldn't happen with the rest of the NPE, but I might just be hallucinating.

Completely unnecessary for this game. 

The only reason classic works for wow or runescape is because the classic game is so drastically different from the current game and certain content has become irrelevant due to vertical progression.

GW2 has not changed that drastically over the years and doesn't add any vertical progression. All classic guild wars 2 would be , is the same game but with less content and QOL features and some balance differences. Not enough people are going to play the game purely for balance differences to be financially sustainable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I don't agree with either option, because it's not an all or nothing proposition.

I like and don't mind some of the NPE changes. The biggest change for me that should be reverted is the way weapon skills are unlocked.  The level system for unlocking weapon skills is simply uninteresting to me.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Demented Lemur.7861 said:

Completely unnecessary for this game. 

The only reason classic works for wow or runescape is because the classic game is so drastically different from the current game and certain content has become irrelevant due to vertical progression.

GW2 has not changed that drastically over the years and doesn't add any vertical progression. All classic guild wars 2 would be , is the same game but with less content and QOL features and some balance differences. Not enough people are going to play the game purely for balance differences to be financially sustainable. 

There have been drastic changes if you go back far enough. The problem is that they are drastic in a bad way.

Anyone want to explain how reverting condi builds back to absolute trash due to stack limits would improve the game?

Lets go back to the original LS1 where all content was temporary content.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 6:53 PM, Altonese.6542 said:

That said, the reason I dislike the NPE is because of the changes it effected in the world. Small/minor changes, yes, that likely most people don't care about, but I did.

1. No golem chess in the First Metrica Heart. Absolutely miniscule, but I just want to know why - Why take something out that could have just been left in.

2. Sylvari no longer start naked and get gear talking to Warden Arondele. Again, yes, its not something to really kitten over, but, just, why remove it? It was a neat little flavour thing in a game you're supposed to immerse yourself in. They did the same with humans now coming out of the starting area outside of the infirmary instead of inside. Apparently, though this is just what I heard, it was because new players found it hard to figure out where to go? In a -house-?

3. Activities like keg brawl, etc. Instead of being made in a way to really encourage their play, they got smushed in to an activity npc thats used just for a daily. One of my first experiences as a player was going in to keg brawl in hoelbrak and having a ton of fun.

Around the time the NPE update happened I read somewhere that Anet discovered things which changed a character's skill bar were the main source of support tickets from very new players, and some actually deleted their character and started over because they thought it was a bug. So they removed all the things which did that from low level areas.

I suspect sylvari not needing to talk to an NPC to get their armour back is the same - some new players who made a sylvari thought it was a bug and they'd just lost everything.

Personally I think a better fix would be to unify how to revert your skills/drop the bundle (at the moment some use the weapon swap, some use skill 5, some use the elite etc.) and then add a pop-up the first time a player encounters something like that which tells them their skills have been changed because they're using an item/transformed/whatever and how to change it back.

• Like 1

I'd love a classic pvp server that has the original games balance design, back when pvp was good in game and we had a lot of people playing it, was great at launch. Other then that, could not imagine playing without mounts ect in pve. 

Classic pvp would work with gw2. Classic everything else, not so much. Classic wvw would be interesting. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gorem.8104 said:

I'd love a classic pvp server that has the original games balance design, back when pvp was good in game and we had a lot of people playing it, was great at launch. Other then that, could not imagine playing without mounts ect in pve. 

Classic pvp would work with gw2. Classic everything else, not so much. Classic wvw would be interesting. 

And this is about all I could see possibly ‘working’.  But it would also need to have skills reverted to pre HoT levels, stat sets reverted, etc etc.  food items would need to be limited, 

Which won’t be justified in the current workload for Anet.