Why do you die in battle? Difficulty or...

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The thing I always think about in regards to this conversation is how you can get ambushed by the wandering hydra in the middle of doing the djinn HP in Sifuri Sand Sea.

Kinda implies that the hydra just sort of ambles about willy-nilly and sort of stumbles onto players trying to complete the HP. 

This is not the case. That kittening kittener hunts you down, will juke 110 degrees to turn and catch you there, actively making itself a nuisance. Best tactic is to beat it down first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rauderi.8706 said:

Kinda implies that the hydra just sort of ambles about willy-nilly and sort of stumbles onto players trying to complete the HP. 

This is not the case. That kittening kittener hunts you down, will juke 110 degrees to turn and catch you there, actively making itself a nuisance. Best tactic is to beat it down first. 

It does wander around ... actually I think there might be two. Also throw in some sand lions and sand eels that like to knock you down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rauderi.8706 said:

It does make one picture a game designer somewhere in ArenaNet offices still chuckling evilly to themselves every time they remember writing that Hydra's behavior.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rauderi.8706 said:

GW2 has a big problem with inflicting crowd control (CC) effects on the player without any decreasing gains. And there are enough enemies with singular attacks that push/daze/stun/blind that it's very noticeable. 

There needs to be a wide sweep in the entire game to update enemy skills and AI so it's more robust and uses more of the combat system. 

Sounds like you just need to make use of the games mechanics, specifically stunbreaks/stability.

...other than already mentioned awareness of your surroundings, obviously 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It does make one picture a game designer somewhere in ArenaNet offices still chuckling evilly to themselves every time they remember writing that Hydra's behavior.

I can tell it's deliberate. The moment you land from flying, this innocent scaly-boi turns with death in all six eyes, ready to drop Hot Rocks in the middle of your djinn+sand lion+sand shark battle. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I used to use clerics on two characters for years without encountering any sort of extra aggro issue so I would say that is one of those things people just use as an excuse.

The only thing that is known to target high toughness is certain(not all) raid bosses.

People somehow interpreted the dev comment from long ago about toughness being one of the factors that influence aggro to mean toughness is the only factor and always used when we know this is not true. For example it is pretty well known that Matriarch in VB uses distance. This is actually a problem because some people think staying at range will make a fight easier/safe when in fact they are making it harder for themselves in some cases because being at range triggers more annoying and/or dangerous skills.

Some dungeon bosses aggro on toughness aswell.

3 hours ago, TheSeraphim.7413 said:

Mostly die to bad tells. Whos idea is it that some boss mechanics have a perfect orange or blue marker for where to stand or avoid where other times they do generic cast animations and now half the arena is instantly covered in randomly placed wells that do 1/3rd your hp per tick. 

Yea they really should go and fill in all the circles the new aetherblade retreat even have the barely visible rings spam.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Haha 1

I tend to die most often to encounters when I get outnumbered by 3 or more expansion map veterans/elites who are insane HP sponges and have BS mechanics/skills such as evading for 10 seconds while outputting massive DoT and pulsing AoE chill in a wide area. I play full Berserkers/Vipers gear on all my characters (except my daredevil, catalyst and dragonhunter who have full Marauders). I can survive just fine on my characters who have companions to split aggro between mobs like my reaper, untamed, mirage and mechanist, but after the huge nerf to sustain I struggle to solo group events with lots of mobs on my berserker, daredevil, catalyst, dragonhunter and vindicator. Even with perfect dodging (which is not always something I can do) I can only last so long before the champion/legendary/3+ elites whittles down my HP and I inevitably lose the battle of attrition.

I also tend to easily lose control of the battle on characters where I have to pay more attention to my rotation and skills coming off cooldown than actually looking at what's happening on the screen and aoes, most noticeably catalyst and dragonhunter. So I usually end up only playing these characters in zerg events/group content where I know there will be other ppl to share aggro. Once I get focused on by multiple mobs I tend to completely lose control of my rotation and just mash random skills off cooldown and frantically spam dodges and circle strafe which ends up making the losing scenario worse.

This is why I only play my reaper when I'm map completing expansion maps. The ability to run around with a minisquad of 10+ minions is great for confidence when engaging multiple packs of mobs. If I get into the situation where I'm starting a fight already outnumbered, I tend to already give up the battle as lost and play extremely defensively to disengage asap or stall long enough for someone to hopefully come and help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SlipLihte.1307 said:

Since it's such a timless explanation of the feels, I will link this again here:

Wonderful. There’s not a single mob there that gives me fits any more. It was a long journey, I was merely an egg, but now I have achieved …. mastery.

• Haha 2

In PvE?  Being unable to see what is killing me is by far and away the biggest cause.  This is often due to overdone visual effects splashing all over the screen.  It can also involve being up against a wall and having my point of view curtailed as a result.  Also, I'm unsure why but I am just not seeing some of the effects in strike missions (quaggans in Xunlai Junkyard, Minister Li's Cone AoE of damage/knock and the cannon phase safe spots in Aetherblade.

The second cause is bad builds (usually, not having a trait or skill that would be essential to counter a specific mob).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I pretty much only take the room temperature challenge in Fractals, Raids, and Strike missions.  Honestly once you have a properly spec'ed toon and are comfortable with them, most open world mobs, including champions should not be to much an issue.  However though I have been with GW since Beta GW1, note, personally, the hardest mob to stay alive to... your team mates.. I'm looking at you Overlook. 

And as someone said before, having a defensive build can actually hurt you more then a more glassier one, for instance in Fractals, doing enough damage bypasses the more harmful effects, same goes for strike missions.  As well knowing what you are up against, and what you can tank, and when to act defensive, classes all have some sort of evade/block, and understanding the enemy more and what they are capable of will help more in the future.  It truly is a game of checks and balances, which imo is kinda nice, makes you think even if at first it is annoying.  

On 5/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, Radagast.9403 said:

Why do you die in battle?

Rarely when I'm playing WvW late at night I fall asleep for a brief moment and when I wake up I'm in the midst of an enemy zerg. Most of the time I don't survive this. 😉

• Haha 1