I want to stop working on my legendary armor.

But it's not that simple, let me backtrack here,  I want to stop working on my legendary armor, but I can't.

It's so mind numbing to think that the countless hours I spent raiding, and acquiring wealth all to acquire this armor is reduced to quite literally, doing the TD meta another 10 times, and getting another 325 spirit shards.

The Cairn achievement alone for the heart, took me a week and a half just to get.

This armor has in fact been the second most frustrating thing I've ever had to build in this game, actually no, this armor is literally pure hell. PURE HELL. I had to deal with the toxicity of DPS boasting psychopaths in raid groups I didn't even care about. I thank myself enough that I bothered to even find a forming static group that didn't give two cents about people's dps and still managed to clear every wing with a sound mind.

Alas, after finally having acquired the precursor armor, I felt a sense of not caring anymore because getting gold in this game, IS HARD. There's no easy way of getting gold in this game to a meaningful degree, you'd have to farm A LOT in just one hour to bank 70g in your pocket, and it's grindy and tedious.

Lo and behold, I learn from the best about how to make A LOT of gold. And I do just that, took me nearly 4 weeks of absolute hell, but I made roughly 9000g. 2000 of that went into a weapon for myself, another 2000 is sitting in liquidity, and the rest was reinvested to make more gold. Anyway, that's not the point here.

I looked at Legendary armor, right, and it took A LOT to convince me that this armor was worth the effort. To this day, I am not fully convinced that this armor is worth the effort, especially, when you don't have the account bound mats.

I do not recommend the average player even remotely put themselves through the utter stupidity I went through raiding, like bruh I spent 4 hours trying to kill Xera with a static that didn't care about DPS checking and etc. We didn't kill Xera that day. Prior to that I had killed this lady a good 10-15 times with groups that did these raids for fun over the course of a few years of playing on and off. But again, that's not the point.

Right now I am going CRAZY, CRAZY to the point where I want to quit so badly now more than ever but the feeling of leaving this garbage endeavor unfinished will haunt me as time passes by. I spent HOURS killing stuff in HoT maps because I needed the currencies for the 6 gifts of the pact I got. But now I am wholesomely regretting this stupidity because after I wasted TIME and I mean BIG TIME slaving away for Ley-Line Crystals, nothing will get me beyond the fact that I am missing Chak Eggs!

Spirit  Shards aren't a problem, they never have been because you can get them from doing any content in some form, for playing the game and having fun, you can rack up spirit shards in PvP, in WvW, in Fractals, whatever, but CHAK EGGS, YOU CAN ONLY GET THAT IN TANGLE DEPTHS. THIS IS NOT FUN, HAVING TO CRAM MY WAY INTO TANGLE DEPTHS METAS FOR 10 DAYS STRAIGHT JUST TO FINISH MY ARMOR IS NOT FUN. And the worst part is that the Wiki LIED about these things dropping in the crystallized supply cache, NOPE, there is a 0 chance of them dropping you have to do the meta.

This reminds me of getting my Dragon Eye Infusion Box, the achievement for it was by far the most abusive implementation for ANYTHING this game has had to offer.  That "Champion's Mastery" achievement to get this flaming eye, despite being worth the alternative (paying 2400g for it), WAS GRINDY AND NOT FUN.  This achievement was slave labor, SLAVE LABOR.

AFTER THIS ARMOR I AM DONE. I am sick of these stupid awful time gating slave labor mechanics players have to put up with just to get the things they want. Everyone wants to come home after work and play the game, not work another JOB, thank god that the new legendary amulet is easier to get than most of these other convenience crap, because holy smokes is the armor anything but a screaming pile of hell nah. Making gold, I kitten you not, is literally more fun than building this armor.

Edited by Aridon.8362
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 30
  • Sad 6

Op you should really talk to this guy they know how to get chak eggs easy.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/114086-a-real-legendary-armor/

On 4/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, Erise.5614 said:

It's 25 - 50 LI.

5 chak eggs (1 meta), 5 auric ingots (1 meta), 5 metal plates (1 meta) and 3 map currencies (where you get enough by playing the 3 previously mentioned metas that one time). So about an hour of OW gameplay.

Provisioners tokens take a while but don't require any other PvE gameplay.

So really. It's about an hour of OW and anywhere between 4 - 20+ hours of raids. Per piece. 
(4 hours if you get the free precursor from the collection and take an average of 10 minutes per boss. Which means first try always with an experienced team and no time spent setting up).

It's a raid armor that requires a minimum of OW gameplay.
If an alternative with the roles reversed would exist, that'd already be pretty neat. Requiring a single raid wing per piece and hours upon hours of OW gameplay. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Aridon.8362 said:

This armor has in fact been the second most frustrating thing I've ever had to build in this game, actually no, this armor is literally pure hell. PURE HELL.

Please take a break from the game, do some "digital detox". What you are doing to yourself is not healthy, I think you are burned out. Your health is more important than a few pixels in a video game.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Thank the lord I'm a Wvw player and got the WvW Legy armor just passively while playing. 

This. Very much this. Atm I'm working on my last piece of leggy armor. When I get this one, in about three weeks, I'll have full sets of heavy, medium, and light armor leggies. All were earned in WvW, a game mode I enjoy playing. It hasn't felt like a grind to me and it certainly wasn't "PURE HELL." After my leggy armor is complete, I'll start on the backpack, and then on the rings. Again, getting them all in a game mode I like. (Though I do have to add the caveat that WvW is a game mode I currently enjoy. It remains to be seen what WvW will be like when/if Anet ever implements Alliances and its other plans for WvW.)

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

This. Very much this. Atm I'm working on my last piece of leggy armor. When I get this one, in about three weeks, I'll have full sets of heavy, medium, and light armor leggies. All were earned in WvW, a game mode I enjoy playing. It hasn't felt like a grind to me and it certainly wasn't "PURE HELL." After my leggy armor is complete, I'll start on the backpack, and then on the rings. Again, getting them all in a game mode I like. (Though I do have to add the caveat that WvW is a game mode I currently enjoy. It remains to be seen what WvW will be like when/if Anet ever implements Alliances and its other plans for WvW.)

The same applies to me. Got my first legendary armor set in PvP and the second and third in WvW. Both game modes I enjoy playing. Never really had the feeling that it is a grind to get the armor. I got it by just playing what I enjoy. 
The same is true for raiders. But if you don’t enjoy it than maybe you shouldn’t force yourself through it just for the armor. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Yeah, those eggs were the most tedious part for me aswell (hint: if it's possible for you, you can do several metas a day; also make sure to open as much chests on the map as possible, sometimes you get an extra egg out of those, for me it was about 1egg per 150 crystaline caches).

But then again, if you manage to gather 9k gold over a fairly short amount of time, the rest should be easy peasy (each set of leg. armor was around 1k for mats iirc), so I really don't get the fuzz.

(now sits back and grabs some popcorn for when OP finds out about provisioner tokens)

Edited by Nash.2681
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Yes it's frustrating. But so is everything in life worth getting. One you get it, you will never have to worry about crafting ascended armour of that weight class, stat changing it to fit the latest meta and swapping it between characters. Not to mention infusion and rune swapping and the extractor costs.

Think of it as a frustration investment, where you do the frustrating now in order to avoid future frustration. And if you've done the precursor acheavements, most of the frustrating parts are done, the rest is just gathering resources, which can be spaced out as much as you want as progress is permanent and the amount of frustration is set. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, civokenes.3284 said:

Yes it's frustrating. But so is everything in life worth getting. 

I do find it hilarious to see this applied to a video game.

Yes, the important things in life take discipline and patience. But that doesn’t mean everything that’s frustrating is worthwhile.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Sounds like a burnout, just take a break. You have done all the kitten stuff (raids) and now that you are just missing a week of easy chak metas you feel like throwing months of progress away just for the very last step?

Also 9000g in a month is a lot, you say getting gold in this game is hard, but you made a ton of gold and I don't know what else you could possibly want, you just felt it as a chore because you farmed too much, that's burnout

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

You don't have to do it all in one go. There's no time limit and you won't lose any progress if you go slowly, stop or take a break.

Even making a legendary weapon (which is relatively simple compared to a full armour set) takes me months because I can't play a lot even if I wanted to and any time I get bored with it I'll slow down or stop and do something else instead. I'm currently working my way through making Ad Infinitum and it's taken me at least 6 months (I'm not sure exactly because I don't remember when I started). For just over a month I made no progress at all because EoD came out so I stopped doing Fractals and did that instead.

So if you don't want to keep going but also don't want to give up you can just take a break from it and do something different, either within GW2 or a different game/hobby entirely, then come back to it when you feel like it.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aridon.8362 said:

you'd have to farm A LOT in just one hour to bank 70g in your pocket, and it's grindy and tedious.

literally just do T4 Fractals for 30 minutes for 3 days.

But it definitely sounds like you need to take a break asap, seems like you completely burned out

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Aridon.8362 said:

And the worst part is that the Wiki LIED about these things dropping in the crystallized supply cache, NOPE, there is a 0 chance of them dropping you have to do the meta.

Nope, wiki didn't lie. The drop rate is pretty low, but you can get them from crystallized supply caches. I got 5 of them this way when I was making my legendary armor few months ago.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, CasualElitist.8795 said:

Nope, wiki didn't lie. The drop rate is pretty low, but you can get them from crystallized supply caches. I got 5 of them this way when I was making my legendary armor few months ago.

I think i got like a quarter of chak eggs for my last legendary set from the caches. Yeah, i was probably lucky, but they still do definitely drop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Definitly. Problem is, if you do want the armor, you don't really have an alternative. You're basically in the lose/lose situation from the start.

Then there are two other ways to get legendary armor.  If you want the unique skin then yes, you don’t have an alternative. And there is no need for an alternative. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 9

1 minute ago, yoni.7015 said:

Then there are two other ways to get legendary armor.  If you want the unique skin then yes, you don’t have an alternative. And there is no need for an alternative.

Again (because we've had this discussion thousand times already), all those three ways taken together cover only a small fraction of active playerbase. Basically, there's a massive likelihood that for a player neither of those three would be enjoyable. For most players it really is a choice of "not get the legendary armor" or "burn out due to having to invest a massive amount of time in a content that you find massively unenjoyable". So, like i said, a lose/lose situation.

It's not about the number of options available. It's about how narrow those options are, and how big percentage of the population they exclude.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 6

It's your attitude that makes your gaming hell, not the game itself.

You are overdoing it, no one forces you.

When the legendary armory came out I though, ok, now I really have a reason to get legendary items. But I am not overdoing, I play maybe a bit more WvW than I did before, but I am far aways to get max tickets every week. But comes time come tickets (and gold and Mats and Mystic Clover and ...), after around a year I've now 8 leggy armor done, the 9th need 2-3 more weeks, and all 18 probably more than another year, so I've more to do in Gw2, but I will never focus on getting it as fast as possible.

So my advice: Don't quit it, but quit focussing on it and getting it fast. Relax, play what you want to play and you will have it sometimes.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not about the number of options available. It's about how narrow those options are, and how big percentage of the population they exclude.

Legendary armor was never meant to be for everyone. But everyone who wants it can get it. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11

6 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

Then don’t derail yet another discussion with your open world legendary armor agenda. There already are enough threads about that. 

This is a thread about legendary armor acquisition, is it not? I think that talking about legendary armor acquisition is very much on point there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7